motion actuators speed: 100mm/s vs 250mm/s... Is it important for sim racing?

I have never tried the difference. All I can tell you from a number of sfx builders is that when they build the rig with the slower settings set up for testing and then after a while bump it up to the maximum speed that they all say the rig comes to life.

It may depend what kind of cars you like to drive as well, I dont have mine as lively in a larger v8 or gt3 but I dont think the slower speed will give me what I am used to in a nice open wheeler. I have been doing a number of hours this week in iracing in the dallara ir18 and I dont think the slower speed will replicate the feeling that I have going on.

But as I say, I have not every set mine up to work a the slower speed to know for sure.

Upvote 0

motion actuators speed: 100mm/s vs 250mm/s... Is it important for sim racing?

Maximum speed in mm/s have very little to do with how good a motion system is.
Much more important is acceleration and the control software.

It's the acceleration that makes you feel the telemetry not the max speed ;)

- mm/s have become what watt is for amplifiers and speaker, an irrelevant selling point.

Upvote 0
I just couldnt see how 150mm would give you a lot more for cars though I know the flying guys like it.

Re the speed vs acceleration, most systems that say they do that speed also have servos that can deliver the acceleration so I wouldnt worry too much about that . I would be very surprised if the simrig system outperformed the likes of PT, sfx. Reviews havent led me to believe that either.

Upvote 0
Well i got half my kit from ERACING LABS, The rest of the kit should be here tomorrow. From what i see its very good quality. Some real nice additions too over my old kit. Its push/pull already and it has threaded feet which makes it super easy if you want to add traction loss etc. The finish on the actuators is very good and they come pre assembled also. Ill be testing it tomorrow hopefully.:)

Upvote 1
100mm/s vs 250mm/s is day and night difference!
The "default" SFX100 setting from OpenSFX runs at 100mm/s, and it's one of the first things people complaint after completing the built and tried a few laps.
So the 250 mm/s setting for sfx100 probably boosts the acceleration ;) and that is what makes night and day..

Upvote 0
Most companies seems to spec speed unloaded, while i believe the SR2 is speed spec’d at maximum load (probably 50-60% of stall load?)..

Still does’nt tell us anything really, unless all systems gets tested both at 50% and 100% load.
Even then it’s not very interesting, as power is nothing without control ;)

For example, will all actuators achieve that speed when the powersupply has to feed them all at once?
Way to many variables..

Upvote 0
Most companies seems to spec speed unloaded, while i believe the SR2 is speed spec’d at maximum load (probably 50-60% of stall load?)..

Still does’nt tell us anything really, unless all systems gets tested both at 50% and 100% load.
Even then it’s not very interesting, as power is nothing without control ;)

For example, will all actuators achieve that speed when the powersupply has to feed them all at once?
Way to many variables..
Agree. Need to be careful with marketing information. e.g. is this the peak speed; is the speed sustained at maximum load etc. Many don't say or are perhaps deliberately vague.

Unfortunately just reading purely off the spec sheets can be misleading...

Upvote 0

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 263 37.3%
  • Porsche

Votes: 269 38.1%
  • BMW

Votes: 252 35.7%
  • McLaren

Votes: 166 23.5%
  • Toyota

Votes: 270 38.2%
  • Intel

Votes: 90 12.7%