AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Road Atlanta, Wed 22nd November 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
One of my favorite tracks, really love this one!

Did quite a lot of practice laps, just for the fun of it, managed to get some decent lap times in, couldn't repeat that in qualy unfortunately. P7 on the grid, that's a nice spot, could hold my position for a few laps (almost lost it there) and in lap 3 gained a few positions due to Andre and Thomas going of in the esses. Tried to go with Paul, but he was quite quick in the corners, was able to pass him in T1. Now chasing Jason, a bit unreal for me. but he was too quick anyway. I Made a few small mistakes and lost connection with the front bunch. Han's 500 growing in my mirrors, and a 'Bouke under pressure' is a big bang waiting to happen. Lap 7 it was.... after the esses, turn left up the hill, just overpowered too early and lost it. With Han, Thomas and Carsten nearby, I hit the escape to pit-button in a reflex. A pity actually, might have been able to return to the track there, but it was kind of a safety hit on the button. Bummer...

Ah well, flew back to the pit, dead last, but then the actual fun started to happen. I managed to get some sort of flow with a decent pace, so I was able to start picking up people I gave a free pass... Some guys pitting helped me as wel, but I had the pace and decided to pit as late as possible trying to create as much of a gap as possible between Steve/Andre and myself. Exited the pit a good few metres behind Andre, so now both on the chase to Steve. Andre managed to pass him a few laps before the finish now I could try the same. Pace still quite okay, put my head down and focused on the perfect exit to the back straight. That worked and I managed (dunno how) to brake late for the chicane and actually making it somehow :cool: (again, dunno how). After that I tried to close in on Andre, but we had similar kinda pace. Steve still in my mirror, and last lap I screwed up that same exit to the back straight a bit, just enough for Steve to make it to the chicane first. I decided to cross back, braked a little earlier and had a better exit speed through the chicane, bumped him on the rear a little and so I screwed up my chances to get him back before the flag.

Well, at least it's in my head this way, I'll check the replay later to see where my adrenaline brushed up my heroic actions :cool:

Thanks again Han! Thanks Robert for bringing Road Atlanta up again, love this one!

Congrats podium people!

On to the next one!

Last edited:
Nice one guys. It was nice racing with you all again.

I'm happy I got a break in the clouds from work to allow me to jump back in with the old Wednesday crew. That was good fun. I got knocked off the track and turned around early in the race, and I also touched the slippery curbs on the outside edge of turn 1 for a self-inflicted spin out, but it was still fun to get back at it and try to pick up a couple of spots here and there.
Really love that track--one of my favorites too. Thanks for hosting / organizing Han, hope to be able to join in more often.

PS: sorry if I missed any radio chatter, between the engine and ambient noises, I don't always hear what folks are saying...

Last edited:
Oh well, what a frustrating race. Going off in the lead always sucks, and even more when the second placed driver can't avoid the spinning car. Sorry again Andre for the collision as I went off, glad you could at least keep direction and "only" lost some positions which is a pity. Got a little snap of the inside kerb and after that got over the kerb on the left side too much. Nearly could control it but the car was unsettled too much and I hit the wall on the right side. After losing some positions I was behind Han. So hard to overtake an Abarth on this track when the driver does not do a very major error. Was close behind but there was no mistake of him and on the straights it was just no chance as expected. At the slower corners you have to lift so much as normal not to hit the back. Went to the pits early just to find myself behind Kimi in the Abarth. Same story. Could overtake one time as he went little wide but on the straight he got me again easily. After couple more laps tried an overambitious maneuver as I was quicker through turn 1 but we collided in the braking zone. Sorry Kimi, as I said it was overambitious to try it there. Gave back position and drove this frustrating race to the end.
Shame it went like that, could have been a close race between the front Mazdas.
Ricardo, no problem with the lapping collision, it was just a misunderstanding.

Congrats Jason and Robert and Han for organizing.

cu next time

One of my favorite tracks, really love this one!

Did quite a lot of practice laps, just for the fun of it, managed to get some decent lap times in, couldn't repeat that in qualy unfortunately. P7 on the grid, that's a nice spot, could hold my position for a few laps (almost lost it there) and in lap 3 gained a few positions due to Andre and Thomas going of in the esses. Tried to go with Paul, but he was quite quick in the corners, was able to pass him in T1. Now chasing Jason, a bit unreal for me. but he was too quick anyway. I Made a few small mistakes and lost connection with the front bunch. Han's 500 growing in my mirrors, and a 'Bouke under pressure' is a big bang waiting to happen. Lap 7 it was.... after the esses, turn left up the hill, just overpowered too early and lost it. With Han, Thomas and Carsten nearby, I hit the escape to pit-button in a reflex. A pity actually, might have been able to return to the track there, but it was kind of a safety hit on the button. Bummer...

Ah well, flew back to the pit, dead last, but then the actual fun started to happen. I managed to get some sort of flow with a decent pace, so I was able to start picking up people I gave a free pass... Some guys pitting helped me as wel, but I had the pace and decided to pit as late as possible trying to create as much of a gap as possible between Steve/Andre and myself. Exited the pit a good few metres behind Andre, so now both on the chase to Steve. Andre managed to pass him a few laps before the finish now I could try the same. Pace still quite okay, put my head down and focused on the perfect exit to the back straight. That worked and I managed (dunno how) to brake late for the chicane and actually making it somehow :cool: (again, dunno how). After that I tried to close in on Andre, but we had similar kinda pace. Steve still in my mirror, and last lap I screwed up that same exit to the back straight a bit, just enough for Steve to make it to the chicane first. I decided to cross back, braked a little earlier and had a better exit speed through the chicane, bumped him on the rear a little and so I screwed up my chances to get him back before the flag.

Well, at least it's in my head this way, I'll check the replay later to see where my adrenaline brushed up my heroic actions :cool:

Thanks again Han! Thanks Robert for bringing Road Atlanta up again, love this one!

Congrats podium people!

On to the next one!
yes, i must say, not sure if it was you or andre (maybe both), but one of you had the exit launch into the rear straight nailed, because i was amazed how quickly you sailed past me in the same car down that straight...

found myself making a mental note as a yellow mazda slid past me, 'hmmm, i must go back and practice that last turn because obviously there is much time to be gained with a proper exit from turn 7'...:coffee:

yes, i must say, not sure if it was you or andre (maybe both), but one of you had the exit launch into the rear straight nailed, because i was amazed how quickly you sailed past me in the same car down that straight...

found myself making a mental note as a yellow mazda slid past me, 'hmmm, i must go back and practice that last turn because obviously there is much time to be gained with a proper exit from turn 7'...:coffee:
Yellow’ish’ car is Andre, my Red Bull Tin Can only has a huge yellow (or red…) raging cow on the side, so, not shure there yet :)

Anyway, good to have you back Dominic!

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 464 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.2%
Back