Multiplayer Postponed

It has been a long weekend, but the wait is worth it, I'm sure :)
tumblr_ln9g4rWf1k1qztit6.gif

True to an extent. I won a RD rF2 club event in the Meganes the other day by 15 seconds despite going vertical through Eau Rouge. Sometimes even with mistakes a faster driver will win and the guys topping the timing sheets as of now are fast enough to win even with errors. Someone lapping consistently 3 seconds a lap slower can be perfect and come next to no where against the guy 3 seconds quicker who makes mistakes.
Talking about 3 seconds a lap sounds a bit harsh for me, but you are about right. The difference between hotlapping or a race pace is fuel and the 0.1 or 0.2 slower laptimes needed for consistency. Winning a race is not a big trick unless the guys you are racing with are silly intentional wreckers. Having the edge on qualifying shows that you are able to pull laps off faster than anyone on the track, that means you have the edge in races. You won't suddenly make 10 mistakes a lap, just because there are 20 other vehicles on the track.

True, but slower drivers tend to talk that requirement up.

Fast drivers are usually fast because they are precise. Being precise, makes consistency easier.
Indeed. They are precise and have learned a high level of car control. Sure, they may make mistakes if they try going at world record pace during a race, but they can also just dial it back and still be much faster than most and can do that consistently.

People who think hotlappers don't make good racers probably don't have much experience racing with top hotlappers. I think its just something that slower drivers like to tell themselves to not feel as bad about how much slower they are, to be honest. I consider myself a racer first and foremost, but there's no doubt that hotlapping is a fantastic way to increase my speed. And as you get faster and learn more about the car and the track, you gain a higher level of car control. And the more comfortable you get going fast, the more consistently you'll be able to do it. So it really makes you a far better racer in the end.

Best hotlappers make for the best racers, so long as they understand racing etiquette, which I'm sure most do. This difference between hotlappers and racers is generally a myth. Some people just prefer doing one or the other, that's all.

On the other hand, some hotlappers can be quite 'hot-headed'. In the sense that they are not patient whilst racing multiclass and having to pass slower cars.

Especially in mc racing, patience can be a more important virtue than speed. But in general I agree with the post above. Speed = speed.

I don't agree, imo hotlapping while you're in your own little world and being pressured by the car behind or forced to take different lines on the fly while fighting close with good racers is a completely different thing.
I race online alot and have seen fast offline guys crumble like cookies as soon as they get some true competition. While others (me) can do just fine in a race but suck at hotlapping.
For me hotlapping gets boring very quickly, i lack the patience to do it for a long time and the skill to drive top splits in the short time it keeps me entertained.

Speed = speed for sure. But there are even F1 drivers who can do a 'one off' quali lap which is much higher than the race pace of their car and their own ability to keep their act together for 1.5hrs and manage fuel and tyre use as well as other racers.
Hotlapping has none of those elements, just precision which you only have to get right once.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question was whether someone who is a lot slower can beat a good hotlapper. As, discussed above, that simply will not happen in most circumstances.

Some good hotlappers will handle pressure badly, agreed. But how can they be put under pressure from someone who is 1,5 seconds a lap slower?

Only if you are close pacewise, can you pressure him. And yes, some fast drivers will fail under pressure (I admit it is one of my weaknesses ;)). But to get to that point, you have to be there on his tail.

Quite frankly, to me it sometimes looks like slower drivers tell themselves they will do fine against faster drivers by alluding to their consistency. Believe it if it makes you happier, just be prepared to be disappointed when you race against Greger or another hotlapper :).

Speed = speed for sure. But there are even F1 drivers who can do a 'one off' quali lap which is much higher than the race pace of their car and their own ability to keep their s**t together for 1.5hrs and manage fuel and tyre use as well as other racers.
Hotlapping has none of those elements, just precision which you only have to get right once.
F1 drivers are all already top of the sport, though. You don't get that far without being able to both qualify and race at a *very* high level.

Among the fastest guys in sim racing, there might certainly be a range of skill levels when it comes to racecraft and consistency, but they'll all still be faster and better in races than most everybody else.

The question was whether someone who is a lot slower can beat a good hotlapper. As, discussed above, that simply will not happen in most circumstances.

Some good hotlappers will handle pressure badly, agreed. But how can they be put under pressure from someone who is 1,5 seconds a lap slower?

Only if you are close pacewise, can you pressure him. And yes, some fast drivers will fail under pressure (I admit it is one of my weaknesses ;)). But to get to that point, you have to be there on his tail.

Quite frankly, to me it sometimes looks like slower drivers tell themselves they will do fine against faster drivers by alluding to their consistency. Believe it if it makes you happier, just be prepared to be disappointed when you race against Greger or another hotlapper :).

Realizing that someone who is completely off pace won't be winning races is no rocket sience, i wasn't talking about that.
And i couldn't care less what other drivers tell themselves as excuses, driving > talking ;).
I simply don't think good hotlappers are good racers by default, and vice versa.

• Deleted member 151827

Damn. With all the ot posts i keep thinking something good with release has happened.

Some rational reasoning behind the thought proccess? I would accept your statement if you gave me a reason to do so. For now you are throwing words in the air, which have no meaning.

Did you read the whole discussion or just the last 3 posts?
I explained why i think that way on this very page a few posts earlier or would you like some more meaning?

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 418 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 262 43.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 284 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.9%
Back