My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mizoo,
Just to try and help you in any way I can, what is it exactly that you need for this bootloader?
How long have you also spent on this bootloader? From the date you started this wheel seams like a long time if just the FFB took you two weeks. From what I gather you are looking for encryption type protection, how far along do you feel you are with it? estimate a completion time.

I am just asking because maybe I can help you search for sources to help you acheive your end product faster. I know the feeling you must have about software security and keeping it from the piracy comunity, but if it is holding you back a long time and I know you have a new family which also slows down the process of development. You have a great thing here, the first to maybe able to offer industrial strength force feedback but you also have competition from Pax, in almost all cases the first person to offer a solution usually takes the majority of the market with ease.
As a programmer myself I am working on a motion simulation software for rfactor 2 mainly, other games will follow later and security is always a concern before releasing software. I have been working on AES and haviing a bootloader encrypted to a specific machine ID hence the code can only be run and decrypted through a web server which validation the user license and unlocks the encrypted code and allows it to run for a specific machine only. It is difficult to access how much protection is enough.
Anyway I just want you to succeed in your goal faster and MagicFR has really sold your software to me, his 10nm wheel looks just awesome its the first ffb I have seen that actually looks real. The bodnar wheel doesn't even look to acheive the same result.

Upvote 0
It's not a technical problem, I just have no time to spend for it (baby, health problem, ...).
The FFB firmware has not been updated for a long time (more than one year).

And I am not in competition with Pax, I don't want to sell my product.

Upvote 0
Since there are more and more people who want to build their own steering wheel, in one month if I have not finished my bootloader the project will go open source.

Upvote 0
I have been following your topic for a long time and have purchased the parts I needed. Looking forward to software in the future . It sounds like you did this for entertainment but I hope you take the advice of the others on here and make a donate button. A little extra cash never hurts :).
Thanks
Brian

Upvote 0
Hello,

On the french forum RacingFr we are now some guys ( 6 ) who have a chinese servomotor with 10Nm constant torque that will be used with the work of Mizoo :) , here are my little WIP pics:

DSCN4511.jpg

DSCN4515.jpg

DSCN4524.jpg

DSCN4525.jpg

Like Magicfr, I will use a Granite Device VSD servodrive, and a Blueboard card with Mizoo's firmware to control this ;) .

Upvote 0
Nice Tortue G, good Job.
Is the feeling so good? At frex webpage, they write that servos has lots of bad cogging...
I want something like this. But my big problem is that without a firmware i am not able to....
I can do mechanical work And eletrical conections but such a complete program not. So for starting i depend on mizoos decisión.

Upvote 0
I'm doubting Frex would say that *all* servo motor have lots of bad cogging.
Because lot of servo motors are used from precision works ( CNC milling for ex.) and so don't have cogging at all or very low cogging.
My 5N.m Mige motor don't have felt cogging and the 10 N.m Mige of Tortue G seems to not have cogging too.
The only resistance we felt when we receive the motor was because the bearings were brend new.

Upvote 0
Yes, like magicfr said, the cogging with this servomotor is very low with the wheel on the axle :) , we feel more the ball bearings that need to be used to be more smooth ;) .
Like you I can do all but not the program, but don't worry, i have no doubt that Mizoo will do all that we need :D , some french guys are already using his beta firmware and it works very good !

Upvote 0
Yes, like magicfr said, the cogging with this servomotor is very low with the wheel on the axle :) , we feel more the ball bearings that need to be used to be more smooth ;) .
Like you I can do all but not the program, but don't worry, i have no doubt that Mizoo will do all that we need :D , some french guys are already using his beta firmware and it works very good !

This motor has very low cogging and is very cheap. I turned the shaft by hand and can hardly feel it.The P&G Pilot+ controller also looks very suitable. I dont know much about this stuff but if someone wants to have a look, I have a pdf with all the pin-outs for the controller and an extra control board that looks interesting. The parts are from a Quantum 6000 Power chair (1HP 4 pole DC and the controller is 100amp dual hbridge with 2 inputs).
IMG_20130419_080900.jpg

Upvote 0
hello, I wanted to make you some observations, first, the engine that you have is too strong, suitable for this application must be of a maximum of 400w (1.27nm) and then use a 5:1 gearbox is fine, it is appropriate to use the engine directly, is too abrupt, moreover, it is appropriate to work in pair mode, not speed or position.
a good option is a low backlash planetary gearbox, or with pulleys Poliv type with 5:1 reduction (not timing belt, it shows the passage of the tooth), and then the direct encoder wheel shaft.
CNC machine repair, so it is what I'm saying, greetings.
dsc0008tu.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 29 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 7 2.2%