DiRT Rally New FFB patch.

o you may have noticed a small patch for DiRT Rally release today and we are pleased to say that yes... this is the FFB update (otherwise known as v0.4.5).

This latest update has been built off the back of your feedback since launch; it will change how the game communicates to you through your wheel or pad and make everything feel much more intuitive.

Alongside that we’ve also added a whole suite of advanced wheel options to help you fine tune your set up. You can read more info about what we’ve done here.

We’re also pleased to say we’ve included a new batch of supported wheels. If your wheel isn’t on the list don’t worry, we are continuing to work our way down the list and we’ll be adding more as DiRT Rally’s Early Access continues.
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
  • Logitech Formula Force EX
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS F1 Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS
  • Thrustmaster TX 458
  • Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 FFB
  • Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
  • Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
  • Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
As ever thank you again for your support, we really hope you enjoy this latest update.

Last edited by a moderator:
my t300 feels horrible now i like msports dan ffb better..the problem i have is i only feel the weight transfer of catching the car now...i dont feel any bumps or gravel when i fly off a jump i get nothing also when i hit a tree nothing...its like they have switched the effects off.

have u tried turning suspension down and everything else up>?
just tried that didnt make any difference..i can literally find a straight road take my hands off the wheel and it doesnt move untill the wheels start turning its rubbish no effects at all...i tried dirt2 that game feels light years ahead on ffb atleast i can feel rubble and jumps and stuff on that game..the effects need tuning i think in the xml!

I tried leaving the T300 on default FFB settings (all sliders 100%) and it was an impressive experience for rally cars. Catapulting a modern WRC car through Wales with everything on 100% was a rush, although I know the self-aligning torque is a bit too high like that, it was oscillating a little. It was also clipping on the hill climb cars quite badly at anything above around 65%.

So I've settled on 65% for all sliders so far, although I might try 60% to see how that feels on some cars (like the hill climb). I find that having tyre and wheel friction on 65% gives a more believable effect than setting them to 0%, but it makes you work harder. Still undecided which I prefer :)

Reminding myself what each setting does:
  • Self Aligning Torque – scales the strength of the steering forces.
  • Wheel Friction – scales the static friction of the wheel.
  • Tyre Friction – scales the dynamic friction of the tyre (this is friction when the tyre is in motion).
  • Suspension – scales the information from the road’s surface via the suspension. The harder the impact to the suspension the greater the force felt.
  • Tyre Slip – scales the vibration felt when the rear wheels slip (front wheels are covered by the steering forces).
  • Collision – scales the strength of impacts to the rigid body
  • Soft Lock – scales the strength of the soft lock effect, the higher the value the stronger the soft lock force.

sorry, i misunderstood your misunderstanding. :)

by SAT i mean not saturation but self-aligning torque, its the first slider in the ffb options.

That's the first one I tweaked without any improvements worth noting.

I still haven't managed to get FFB anything remotely like RBR or AC which feel natural to me.

I had high hopes about this update but must admit I feel quite disheartened.

ok I got almost all the feelings of each of the sliders but I cant feel landing a jump thou and I still have to pull hard to straighten up the self alignment still feels reversed (g27 user)
anyone feel like posting there g27 setting for me to try?
for me it was better when I was using one of the mod files
any one planning to play with these new files to improve it ?

T500RS
Drivers; 60,100,100,0,0... by game (Always people... always!)
Advanced Wheel Options;
Soft Lock - on
Calibrated to 1050 degrees
(rest default)
Vibration&Feedback;
SAT - 42% (Too much SAT and the wheel tries to self align itself too much and results in wiggle of death)
Wheel Friction - 20%
Tyre Friction - 100%
Suspension - 75%
Tyre Slip - 85%
Collision - 70%
Soft Lock - 100%

FFB settings I had when I left the game.
I am positively surpriced. Weight transfer, grip, suspension, and even tires can be felt well enough to be able to drive without having to "learn" to drive (straight from rF2/AC/RBR to Dirt Rally).
Center wheel has a little vague area for now, but that is T500 technology issue amplified by the FFB.
Different surfaces feel good, but do feel better if you make a different FFB profile for loose and tarmac stages. (increase SAT, Tyre Slip and Friction for tarmac)

More to come when I find myself back in DR and test with fresh brain.

T500RS
Drivers; 60,100,100,0,0... by game (Always people... always!)
Advanced Wheel Options;
Soft Lock - on
Calibrated to 1050 degrees
(rest default)
Vibration&Feedback;
SAT - 42% (Too much SAT and the wheel tries to self align itself too much and results in wiggle of death)
Wheel Friction - 20%
Tyre Friction - 100%
Suspension - 75%
Tyre Slip - 85%
Collision - 70%
Soft Lock - 100%

Nice settings, they give a good feel on the T300 as well. I only tweaked SAT and suspension to taste:
SAT: 60%
wheel friction: 20%
tyre friction: 100%
suspension: 65%
tyre slip: 85%
collision: 70%
soft lock: 100%

(using 75/100/100/0/0..by game in drivers for the T300, 900 degrees lock)

To those complaining of poor tarmac feel: I assume you mean in Monte Carlo (which I am convinced is using placeholder tarmac physics and will get tweaked when Germany is released). The Hill Climb cars give a very nice tarmac surface feel with these settings.

No way Dan. Why would you want to see a wheel in front of your wheel? Most sim racers choose to remove the on screen wheel don't they?

I will not play without the wheel. Maybe if I got a proper simracing rig that fully simulates seating position so that the wheel would actually be in the proper position. Otherwise I look past my wheel and onto the screen. Plus I like seeing a full interior without something missing.

has anyone noticed setting tyre or wheel friction doesn't do anything ? only steer torque?!
Friction definitely did something for me...not a huge change but wheel friction made the wheel heavier and I think tyre friction does give you more FFB feel as your front tyres are sliding, but I didn't try that slider independently so not positive.

Nice settings, they give a good feel on the T300 as well. I only tweaked SAT and suspension to taste:
SAT: 60%
wheel friction: 20%
tyre friction: 100%
suspension: 65%
tyre slip: 85%
collision: 70%
soft lock: 100%

(using 75/100/100/0/0..by game in drivers for the T300, 900 degrees lock)

To those complaining of poor tarmac feel: I assume you mean in Monte Carlo (which I am convinced is using placeholder tarmac physics and will get tweaked when Germany is released). The Hill Climb cars give a very nice tarmac surface feel with these settings.

I assure you that tyre/wheel friction has no effect at all when you have the damper set at zero in the TM drivers. That's why CM guides you to use 100% damper in the driver and then adjust it with the wheel/tire friction. :)

has anyone noticed setting tyre or wheel friction doesn't do anything ? only steer torque?!
With my g27, the only sliders that give me anything are self aligning torque, collision, and suspension. Though with suspension, no matter what setting I try all I get are very faint knocks that can hardly be noticed. And that's with the suspension slider the only one enabled. It might as well do nothing as once I turn on self aligning torque, I can't feel any suspension effects. This is on gravel, and to see what each did, I tried one slider at a time (rest at 0). Tried different settings for overall effects in the driver too, no changes. And I never tried any of those custom FFB files.

It all seemed pretty straight forward, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I assure you that tyre/wheel friction has no effect at all when you have the damper set at zero in the TM drivers. That's why CM guides you to use 100% damper in the driver and then adjust it with the wheel/tire friction. :)

This. The damping seems to work pretty much like it does in AC, increases wheel weight.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 127 70.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 43 24.0%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 34 19.0%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 37 20.7%