New GPU dilemma

Hi ,
Looking for any thoughts advice on a dilemma I currently have. Not to bore you with details but i have a 1080ti which is been replaced free of charge due to a fault .

However ive been offered an upgrade to a 2080 ti with additional cost of £400.

Would this upgrade be worth it ? As I currently have a intel i7-700k (4.2GHz)
Or is it overkill due to cost and my current processor ?

Thoughts ......

£400 is a lot, I'd say no, but I'm a cheap skate. I don't think the value is there on those cards, they're too new. Maybe if you're crazy about your VR experience you could maybe justify it but a year or two from now those cards will probably be half the price, and games probably won't take full advantage of them for another two years. So I don't see what you'll be doing with all that processing power.

Upvote 0
For your current CPU it's a fine pairing. But the question to ask yourself is will you actually benefit from the 2080ti in your personal gaming? Are running triple screens, VR, 4K monitors, or a 144mhz screen above 1080p. Those scenarios will make the 2080ti more worthwhile. Otherwise, it's really not going give you any worthwhile benefit.

Upvote 0
I think the pertinent question is does the 1080ti cut the mustard for what you need. If yes then why pay out an extra £400 as per what Turk says above.

Upvote 0
Yeah I think I agree with the general consensus above.
I run triples and Vr and up until the fault the 1080 ti more than covered my needs .
I guess its a bit like my eyes are bigger than my belly scenario

Upvote 0
Also consider that this new 'generation' of GPU's are super poor value compared to what we've been used to in the past. With the general attitude of gamers being they are most likely sitting this one out and waiting for 7nm, you have to wonder how much you might get for that 2080Ti when you decide to move on, perhaps a little earlier than what you were anticipating.

I'd get the 1080Ti, stick with it for a little while and then sell it off when the next run of GPU's come around. You'll get great performance now in pretty much everything but the most demanding of scenarios and probably get a good sale price as people will still be looking for older hardware when new stuff releases. I own a 1080Ti, full disclosure I guess and WILL NOT be participating in this round of GPU nonsense.

Upvote 0
unless you are used to flip a card all the time a new one is out i'll stick with the 1080ti, its still powerful enough, only in vr ACC it can struggle a bit, but i blame the game for that. But if you see yourself flipping the card for the newest one around (a lot of guys, me included, have that habit...) go for the 2080ti to have more resell value in the future.

Said that, you opened this post asking for opinion on the "issue"...so maybe you are not of those guys who make nVidia rich to the bone xdxd and you will take the brand new 1080ti.

Upvote 0
I have the 2080TI and with 3 screens 40 inch @7680x1440 the Gpu utilization =99%
But when I couple it with VR Samsung Odeyssy ( same with Vive Pro ) the
Utilization is only +- 50 - 60% . with iracing on max graphics class 1 and supersampling 200% gives50-90 Fps disappointing !
When you crank up to 400& Supersampling GPU utilization 80-85% but the problem then is you must lower al your settings! Its or SS or Graphics class 1 not both
Conclusion for VR maybe you had to stick wit your 1080TI
But on Triple screens with high resolution " Awesome "

Upvote 0
I think that's a VR issue rather than a GPU issue there. Many people only see ~50% GPU usage when running VR. Not sure why that is.
Its the resolution, A 2080TI is only faster above or around between 1440P - 4K
the 200% supersampling on a Odyssey headset is around 2500 resolution
Thus to low to activate de RTX2080TI almost same as 1080 TI maybe 5 Fps higher
Thats not worth the price difference
( you can go to 1x headset resolution 1680-1440 but thats again lower and bad picture

Upvote 0
If your gpu load is below 99% then it is simply your cpu that is limiting. VR is extremely heavy on the cpu even an 8700k or 9900k will drop below the magical 90 fps if you run too many AI, shadows, reflections!

Upvote 0
Hmm, you might have just cost me a good few hundred AUD, @RasmusP ..........
Okay, sorry :p
What did you buy?

To go into details a little but more about this: the problem is the single thread performance, not the overall performance. Our beloved sims only run on 1-3 cpu threads so basically all cpus will run into their single thread performance limit while most of the overall cpu power is 'wasted'.

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand. I've just been thinking about CPU upgrades since I am mostly a VR user for sim racing and have a Pimax 5K+ somewhere being delivered to me as we speak. It's always been in the back of my mind that with a 1080Ti maybe my 6600K is the weaker link in powering the Rift. It's not a problem now really but I've been concerned with the performance requirements of the Pimax and have been contemplating whether or not a CPU upgrade is worth it.

The way you put it really made it click. Don't know what I am going to do just yet but. With CPU it's pretty hard to gauge the performance improvement for games seeing as generation over generation there's such a small increase to the products overall. GPU's are much easier to assess as a gamer first and foremost when looking to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand. I've just been thinking about CPU upgrades since I am mostly a VR user for sim racing and have a Pimax 5K+ somewhere being delivered to me as we speak. It's always been in the back of my mind that with a 1080Ti maybe my 6600K is the weaker link in powering the Rift. It's not a problem now really but I've been concerned with the performance requirements of the Pimax and have been contemplating whether or not a CPU upgrade is worth it.

The way you put it really made it click. Don't know what I am going to do just yet but. With CPU it's pretty hard to gauge the performance improvement for games seeing as generation over generation there's such a small increase to the products overall. GPU's are much easier to assess as a gamer first and foremost when looking to upgrade.
I totally get you. I'm on a 2600k and a 1070 in 3440x1440 since a few weeks now. Before it was fullhd only.
With the old monitor all Sims were cpu limited by far! But Witcher 3 etc were limited by the 1070 when I increased settings a bit beyond ultra...
Now with the new monitor it's just a pain. I can tune down graphic settings though and modern games still look really well! My cpu though ..
Having 120 Hz gsync in front of me with the fps limiter at 60 fps because cpu related drops stutter quite a lot: it hurts hehe.

Anyway about cpus: you want single thread, single thread and single thread performance!
Currently the ryzen 2xxx really do suck at it. Great for modern games with well done multi threading but the old racing Sims... My 2600k is almost better, lol.
I7 is the way to go though or at least 6 cores. Four cores/threads are slowing down things. Windows spreads the single thread load over multiple cpu threads which increases performance but still can't use the full cpu.

Anyway, ranking:
1. 9700k (8 cores, can go higher than the i9)
2. 9900k (8c + HT, needs extreme cooling to stay at high clocks)
3. 8700k (6c + HT, just a little below the other two)
4. 9600k (6 cores, can clock very high but in modern games the others will beat it)

So if you want to upgrade now, get one of these! If you can wait a little longer, I'd suggest waiting for ryzen 3xxx. They look very very promising regarding single thread performance! :)

Upvote 0

Watch out even a 9900K wil not solved it for 100% Think yo get 15% extra thus if you had a average of 60
Then you get 69 ? Phhhhh! that 9900K +mainboard cost much for only 9 Fps?
I think you must wait on the next new Processor architecture
the Pimax 5K with supersampling 1x is about the same as 2x on the Samsung Odessy
Solution? in Iracing set it lower to class 2 graphics looking stil good, and wait a year for processor update

Upvote 0
When a processor is twice faster on static benchmark its not twice faster in games
example a I7 4790K @4600Mhz is only 15% slower in 4K then 9900K
AMD 2700X multicore is much faster then the old 4790K but in games they are almost equal
I don't know what the new Amd processors do they come in June

Upvote 0
I would like to have an AMD build once again. I've had Intel since I went with the 2500K back in 2012. I started on an AMD Phenom, I think, in 2011 when I came back to building PC's. Back then, it wasn't such an easy choice for CPU based on performance. Much like it is now again. I will probably wait for the AMD stuff. Thanks for the input guys. I couldn't bare to drop nearly $700 AUD on a CPU. Factor in the board you need also and you're looking at nearly a thousand bucks. It needs to be night and day for that kind of money.

Upvote 0
I would like to have an AMD build once again. I've had Intel since I went with the 2500K back in 2012. I started on an AMD Phenom, I think, in 2011 when I came back to building PC's. Back then, it wasn't such an easy choice for CPU based on performance. Much like it is now again. I will probably wait for the AMD stuff. Thanks for the input guys. I couldn't bare to drop nearly $700 AUD on a CPU. Factor in the board you need also and you're looking at nearly a thousand bucks. It needs to be night and day for that kind of money.
Smart choice!
The value isn't really there versus the performance for that much money.
The gen2 Ryzen should...heck even the current Ryzen5 is more than sufficient for a great gaming experience in VR.
I've mated one of those with an MSI GTX1080ti Duke edition and that combination plays everything to date.
It is what I've been using with both my Rift and WMR headsets.
There is absolutely zero stutter, even with a full complement of cars at high to max settings in the most demanding sim title...RF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 28 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.2%