New Logitech Wheel (G923) + Trueforce

Yeah, I'm intrigued and would like to see a proper review.
It looks awfully like the last few wheels they have released :D
In particular, if the pedals still have those godawful pots (for which they refuse to provide spares), it'll be a "no" from me.

Meanwhile, the "Trueforce" thing is not explained clearly anywhere that I've seen. The marketing wordsoup is very hard to parse, but it suggests that the current in the motors is feedback-controlled to provide the desired force. Isn't that exactly what the last few G2x series wheels have done? The key bit that makes it look different is that games require updates to support it, so I guess it simply has to be something different. I wish they would simply say what it does in plain words.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm intrigued and would like to see a proper review.
It looks awfully like the last few wheels they have released :D
In particular, if the pedals still have those godawful pots (for which they refuse to provide spares), it'll be a "no" from me.

Meanwhile, the "Trueforce" thing is not explained clearly anywhere that I've seen. The marketing wordsoup is very hard to parse, but it suggests that the current in the motors is feedback-controlled to provide the desired force. Isn't that exactly what the last few G2x series wheels have done? The key bit that makes it look different is that games require updates to support it, so I guess it simply has to be something different. I wish they would simply say what it does in plain words.

The casing looks the same, the illustration still shows dual motor gear drive...
I've seen some guys trying to give a description of "trueforce", it's attempting something like the T-GT extra vibrations, but the T-GT had a transducer to do that, Logitech goes the cheap route and attempts to do it with it's motors.

I've seen people liking it and utterly disliking it.

Upvote 0
Lol @ that video that plays.. The guy probably could have afforded a much better wheel if he didnt blow all that money on a full racing suit.

Holy socks! 400 dollars and there isnt even a shifter!?!

Seriously if theyre trying to add fidelity (would that be a correct description?) thru their gear driven mechanics, can you imagine the unbearable noise its going to make?

Im a bit QUITE disappointed logitech didnt step up their game with this iteration. Same gear driven stuff. Same flimsy plastic. Same flexible pedals..

If there were any noteworthy improvements to this new "G923" they would have it displayed clearly. Like its said above me, "they dont clearly explain anything". That means theres nothing new to explain.

EDIT: Im not the type to badmouth things this way but this is just disappointing.

Upvote 0
FORCE FEEDBACK REVOLUTIONIZED

changes the game. While other racing wheels simplify and downgrade game physics, Logitech G delivers the first high-definition force feedback steering wheel with precisely controlled forces and an unprecedented update rate.

Most racing wheels still operate on 20-year-old force feedback technology, where forces and vibrations are created from a selection of profiles and a limited library of haptic effects. Designed to overcome the limitations of early USB technology and single-core CPUs, they were used to approximate the sensations generated from your sim car. This means the carefully calculated physics from the game can be simplified and degraded.

Not TRUEFORCE. We developed high-speed, real-time haptics software technology derived from surgical force-feedback systems—with enough bandwidth to deliver detailed game physics right to your G923. So you feel everything.

Upvote 0
Wow... So they make an already annoyingly rattling wheelbase vibrate even more?
Awesome...

We should have a news article with a poll:
"worst simracing product 2020".
Will be a close battle between project cars 3 and this warmed up g25 with extra rattling.

Logitech's selling point was the price of the set that you got. Solid rim, no fans, good pedals (until the pots fail) but kinda bad ffb (dead zone) and rattling.

Now at this new price.. There's simply no reason to go for it over a Thrustmaster set. Ouch.

Upvote 0
Its typical Logitech. Steady improvement of a solid and reliable product. Is it enough for G29 owners to upgrade? No, but the G29 wasn't enough for G27 owners to upgrade and the G27 wasn't enough for G25 owners to upgrade. You can say its boring and it is, but the product gets better without the planned obsolescence we see in consumer products so often.

The other typical Logitech thing is to introduce the wheel at a silly recommended price. They did this for the G27 and G29 but its not long before its selling for $200 or quite a bit less in sales. At this price point its unbeatable.

In a perfect world Logitech would keep making the G29 as an entry level wheel and make a new upmarket model to complete with the T300/TSP Racer. But its not to be. Thrustmaster can breath a sigh of relief.

Upvote 0
Is it enough for G29 owners to upgrade? No, but the G29 wasn't enough for G27 owners to upgrade and the G27 wasn't enough for G25 owners to upgrade. You can say its boring and it is, but the product gets better without the planned obsolescence we see in consumer products so often.
Well the g25 came with a sequential mode in shifter (handbrake), the g27 had more buttons at the wheel but no sequential mode (cashier always wonder why I'm buying so many black hair bands) and the g29 comes without a shifter while the one you can buy has no buttons.
Ofc shifters aren't compatible between wheels.

So apart from a rubber block in the brake pedal and some buttons on the rim, this new wheel won't be enough improvement to upgrade even for g25 owners...
Apart for failing and non-replacable pedal pots...

Upvote 0
Well the g25 came with a sequential mode in shifter (handbrake), the g27 had more buttons at the wheel but no sequential mode (cashier always wonder why I'm buying so many black hair bands) and the g29 comes without a shifter while the one you can buy has no buttons.
Ofc shifters aren't compatible between wheels.

So apart from a rubber block in the brake pedal and some buttons on the rim, this new wheel won't be enough improvement to upgrade even for g25 owners...
Apart for failing and non-replacable pedal pots...

I've been lucky with pedal pots - no issues in 10 years with the G25 and no issues in 2 years with the G29. I can understand the removal of the dual purpose gearshift in return for better H pattern shifting was an issue for some. Making the shifter an add-on for the G29 I think reflects its position as an entry level wheel and neither Thrustmaster nor Fanatec include a shifter with their wheels.

I did actually upgrade from a G25 to a G29. This was partly because I felt my G25 was 10 years old and probably would fail at some point and partly because I'd moved from driving exclusively 60s and 70s cars which don't need buttons on the wheel, to modern cars where those wheel mounted buttons really come in handy. Plus I got the G29 bundled with a shifter for £150 in the PC World new year sale. This was less than I paid for my G25 10 years previously.

Upvote 0
I've burned through three logitech wheels, I consider that I got my monies worth from each unit. They are after all low end gear built built cheaply so expectations should reflect that.

The fact they repackage the same wheel with new marketing every 5 years is in my opinion very poor form, They could make some real world improvements while still maintaining their position at the bottom of the heap. Surely they have made money on the line and could invest some of it back into the product. A cheap load cell pedal would kill the competition and set a standard for others to reach for.

My issue is the complete and utter nonsense marketing they are putting behind the repackaging of this product.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if there claims applying forces directly from the physics engine turns out to be adding mechanical noise generated from the games audio effects.

As it is the plebs clearly engaged to spruik the new features are saying it acts exactly like the previous wheel (no surprise, it is the previous wheel) or that the added effects are annoying.

Yeah, $800 AUD.....

Upvote 0
You can say its boring and it is, but the product gets better without the planned obsolescence we see in consumer products so often.
Well, you might feel differently if you tried to replace the pots - their policy on that is just unforgivable. I know for a fact that they won't sell you a spare for the G25 or G27, and you can't even buy them from anywhere else cos they are proprietary oddball units. I don't know but imagine it's the same for the G29. How many sets of pedals are in landfill because of this crappy decision...

The wheel itself though: yup, I have been really happy with that, and after what must be well over a thousand hours of driving over several years, mine (G27) is still going strong. I think I dismantled the wheel assembly just once, but I can no longer remember what I was fixing.
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat - if not for the godawful pots - because I don't have space/cash for DD.
My guess is that it simply replaces the G29 and G920 with one that plays with both Sony and M$ consoles.
LOL, if only... No, I've read that there are still two versions, but it's OK cos they have removed the possibility of anyone buying the wrong one by giving them the same name! Awesome move Logitech.
I've been lucky with pedal pots - no issues in 10 years with the G25 and no issues in 2 years with the G29.
Wow! That's a shocker. Do you use your wheels a lot? I was never sure if the issues were caused by dust or wear (or both?). If you have used yours a lot with no probs, maybe you're using it in a dust-free area? :O_o:
I recently gave up with the regular cleaning of my G27 pedals (far too damn many screws to remove) and swapped the pots for standard ones with a 3D-printed adaptor. Very happy so far.

As for the amazing full-blooded physics experience that is Trueforce... I'm keen to understand how it actually helps that the wheel can communicate with the PC at 1000 Hz when no physics engine in any game operates at that speed (does it?). But I'll give them the benefit of the (huge) doubt on that until I read a decent review.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if it's going to have the crappy brake setup (in my opinion) that my G920 has? You know, the one where you have to break your ankle trying to stop it?:) I was at the point where I was going to remove the component which causes the problem, but I found a new tabletop clamp for my G27 which I'm going to put on it. I would consider this new wheel down the road if it brakes more like my G27 did.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if it's going to have the crappy brake setup (in my opinion) that my G920 has? You know, the one where you have to break your ankle trying to stop it?:) I was at the point where I was going to remove the component which causes the problem, but I found a new tabletop clamp for my G27 which I'm going to put on it. I would consider this new wheel down the road if it brakes more like my G27 did.

I would assume its going to have the same mechanic, that rubber stopper. It would be nice if it was a softer foam or something but im not holding my breath for it..

Anyway, you can always do what I did, cut it. I cut it in half diagonally so it made two triangles the I only put one back in. You could also just remove it to.

Upvote 0
I would assume its going to have the same mechanic, that rubber stopper. It would be nice if it was a softer foam or something but im not holding my breath for it..

Anyway, you can always do what I did, cut it. I cut it in half diagonally so it made two triangles the I only put one back in. You could also just remove it to.

Thank you. I will try removing it. I found a video on YouTube which shows how to remove it. Between that and my newly clamped G27, I should be good for a long time and won't have to spend a fair amount of money on the new G923.:)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 173 34.2%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 143 28.3%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 41 8.1%
  • At a friends house