Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti leak reveals a very powerful graphics card

I've read some articles of journalists playing Tomb Raider with RTX, it's not great news, it struggled to get 30 fps at 1080p.

You can't have everything :)

People were willing to take a hit for 3 screens and VR why should this be any different, I don't get it ?

Did they say it was stuttering or unplayable ?
What did it get RTX off @ 4K then 10 fps ? lol

all those old titles on last page do 60Hz so with gsync whats the problem ?
buy 2080 and freesync would be odd choice

Last edited:
This chart (ignore the bright green lines and 2x 1080 in the title) indicates RTX 2080 is about 40-50% faster than GTX 1080. Which is in-line with the estimate that it's about 20% faster than the GTX 1080ti if my mental math isn't suspect.
TuringVsPascal_EditorsDay_Aug22_2.jpg

I'm skeptical that RTX 2080 would offer more performance than a 1080 Ti under any circumstances in non-ray tracing rendering. Let's look at specs:

GTX 980: 2048 CUDA @ 1216 MHz boost clock
GTX 980 Ti: 2816 CUDA @ 1075 MHz

GTX 1080: 2560 CUDA @ 1733 MHz
GTX 1080 Ti: 3456 CUDA @ 1621 MHz

RTX 2080: 2944 CUDA @ 1710 MHz
RTX 2080 Ti: 4352 CUDA @ 1545 MHz

So the frequencies are actually slightly lower than in 1000 series, whereas from 900 to 1000 series there was a big boost in both frequencies and CUDA count. RTX 2080 has a mere 15% more CUDA cores running at lower frequency than the 1080, whereas 2080 Ti at least has 25% more CUDAs than its predecessor.

So unless the game is limited to memory bus, these numbers don't suggest anything as big as an improvement than from 900 to 1000 series.

Never seen such a contentious issue since Non-VR people were worried it
would take away from overall improvements hehehe :)

So 60-70% faster then my GTX1070 ? do me GTR2 gets too many fps as is p

Seriously though that is just about what I was wanting to use more potential of 2560x1440 144MHz Gsync making jump from 1080
( I think I go back to first monitor and get LG 16:9 flat lifeless :( p )

imo the higher fps you can get in rF2 the smoother physics feel you get
so I would be better off ordering a GTX1080Ti that are identical price

I would miss out on RTX for 2 years when honestly it is the first thing in titles other then sims that has grabbed me I always thought most all them looked as cartoon as rfactor2 but with no physics lol ?

RTX chess title would be nice with polished wood and glass, see your hand moving pieces p

You could make a real house of mirrors in a horror game ! reflecting everything properly ! ...sic' p

I don't think the ai cores are designated for working with ai in games. The ai would probably be calculated by the cpu as before. In this case I understood it like the ai core are for calculating and enhancing graphics by some smart algoritms and try to "fill in" where the graphics can be enhanced by using earlier learned patterns by the ai function of the chip. I'm not a tech geek so I hope my layman explanation is understandable. For more info watch the Nvidia presentation from the Gamescon event.
Yes realized that after reading more. Guess I ether misread or just hoped!

Guess we will have to wait for user benchmarks before we will know what the new series can do.
But I also doubt the 40-50% increase from 1080 to 2080?
I for one are interested in how the new cards are doing in VR?

To be honest if the reality is that we can enjoy RTX but it means 1080p or even 720p to get close to 60Hz then while not ideal, its still a nice option to have. A 1080Ti would manage much much less frames and be unplayable with it from what Jensen showed regards ray tracing abilities.

I do think ACC could look incredible with RTX and guys visuals have ALWAYS sold graphics cards maybe more so than just framerates. Even from these early examples RTX is potentially a game changer for how games will appear.

In some respects, I personally see this like when 3D was becoming a thing. Yet look how titles like Gran Turismo offered that experience or let the user play the game "HOW THEY WANTED".

I share an example here:
I personally experienced GT5 in the following ways...

(A) Triple projectors with 720p 3D for the best wow factor
(B) Single projector in 720p for the best framerates
(C) Single screen 1080p monitor/projector for the sharpest image

That was quite remarkable for a console (or upto 3 of them :)) and a rather unique example for a console game:

If we dont want RTX and instead want higher framerates. Well, then I see the situation a bit like above. We can play the game how we want to experience them. I am not saying RTX will become like a fad how 3D did as its very different thing, but I do say look at the additional resources 3D required , yet it brought its own benefits or way to experience the game differently.

In some cases depending on the resources or how good the RTX is implemented people may be willing to drop framerates. This is very much down to each users pref. Could I enjoy ACC at 30-60fps with all the RTX eye candy. Yeah damn right I could. Would I want to always play it that way, of course not but we potentially have the option.

To the devs of ACC I applaud this opportunity they are taking and think ACC has the potential to look not just great but incredible for a racing simulator. I do believe also the new graphical abilities can tie in with gameplay aspects in the immersion and more life like atmosphere the game can deliver. Though it looks like VR with RTX is not going to be possible if the framerate demands are so high.

Last edited:
You can pull your pants up again!:)
ACC wil not use RT when it comes out. It is just a special scene made for the promotional video.
See post #44
upload_2018-8-21_10-30-0-png.265919

Excuse me!!!

Can you show where that quote says it will not be implemented in some form for the full game? Leading up to release, of course I do not expect that it is currently the developer's main or most important priority.

Clearly, It has already been showcased and confirmed as an upcoming RTX Game, not a tech demo. It will, therefore, have some form of RTX features at some point during full release. This does not mean it will be trialed in the beta, as clearly no decision has yet been made when or how it will be implemented.

Last edited:
Excuse me!!!

Can you show where that quote says it will not be implemented in some form for the full game? Leading up to release, of course I do not expect that it is currently the developer's main or most important priority.

Clearly, It has already been showcased and confirmed as an upcoming RTX Game, not a tech demo. It will, therefore, have some form of RTX features at some point during full release. This does not mean it will be trialed in the beta, as clearly no decision has yet been made when or how it will be implemented.

Actually this slide doesn't confirm those games will have ray-tracing explicitly, RTX isn't ray-tracing. RTX has replaced the GTX branding as it's a new type of GPU. Other features of the RTX cards include using the tensor cores for a new form of anti-aliasing releasing workload elsewhere. As it's a new feature it's a legitimate claim they're RTX titles, if not a little ambiguous.

I should qualify this by stating I viewed an article earlier today which basically said only half these titles on this slide have ray-tracing implementation plans by the developers. The other titles I would assume are using other these features of the GTX GPU.

The gamble here is this new card is a hybrid of traditional and proprietary. Nvidia aren't new at this strategy, remember PhysX? And the problem with proprietary is locking you into their ecosystem and locking everyone else out. The everyone else is the larger number including current Nvidia GPU owners. If adding RTX features to titles is simple then maybe developers will just add GTX features to their titles as a matter of course. But if it's time costly and potentially just a fraction of total gamer's running RTX cards why would most developers bother?

And what if the early demonstrations clearly displaying ray-tracing killing the frame rates is actually the state of things to come? But worse case scenario in that event, in-game ray-tracing options have low to high values.

Excuse me!!!

Well, if one of the main developers inside Kunos says something like "it is possible to implement for the full game", then that is a good excuse for providing it anywhere in a year, five years or never.

To me it sounds like Nvidia panicked a bit with this feature and needed more games to "support" it, so they went to a bunch of developers, gave their tools and told them to come up with something for their press event. I have my doubts if there is even any sense in running ray tracing on a large sim racing track where the scene to be rendered is much bigger than in an FPS shooter.

I clearly watched a video showing RT being used in ACC, tech demo or not. So therfore as a listed RTX title we can already see that "in this title at least" they seem to be utilising it. Clearly what has been shown thus far has been achieved with limited time.

As for potential RTX buyers, this new "wow" is an important aspect in buying the card. How well it runs on games and when or indeed what games will make use of it has to be an important aspect of its potential growth or adoption. I do not however, see this like Physics X at all.

Nobody has said that all the RTX games shown above will do the same things or all offer the same new features that RTX brings.

We certainly are however seeing more focus on RT as this is exactly what it appears Nvidia is investing millions into as the future of their cards.

Last edited:
I clearly watched a video showing RT being used in ACC, tech demo or not. So therfore as a listed RTX title we can already see that "in this title at least" they seem to be utilising it. Clearly what has been shown thus far has been achieved with limited time.
It was a video!
For all we know it could have each frame ray traced individual and then made into a video.
We all would like to see RT but it is going to take a while! Hardly any titles are using Dx12 and Vulcan has not implemented RT yet.
So my guess is that unless Nvidia is helping with developing the titles with ether expertise or financial support it will be a very slow start with only some tech demos until GPU's with hardware RT become the norm.

Look, graphically its exciting and it was unexpected to see this coming.

Nvidia are a bit crafty, we know this. I don't think general buyers of RTX are going to buy such primarily for RT or other RTX elements in games. Clearly the performance hit is an issue, as will be when these titles have RTX implemented. That does not mean we cant be excited by it or actually look forward to reviews if some of the upcoming games get it implemented shortly after release.

11 of the RTX titles showcased are using RT and ACC is one of them.
16 of the RTX titles support DLSS and 5 support both with Tomb Raider being one that does.

Regardless we are now expecting at least with 4K and HDR enabled a 2080 to be approx 1.5x better than a 1080 was. So it seens obvious those just spouting 20-30% upgrades in performance are maybe incorrect. Yes with different resolutions this advantage in % for 2080 may be less. The wise thing to do is wait till cards are properly tested.

RT if some games offer it in the next year is a bonus, it doesnt change the fact that these are going to be quieter and faster cards than Pascal. If anything the pricing is going to be what decides if or what people buy.

Last edited:
The bits on the "demos" that, IMO, gave more valuable info on RT performance was this following one of Tomb Raider.
The way that they're trying to hide performance issues is so noticeable that is almost comical.
Notice how they try to move (drag) the in-game cameras mostly when it's OFF, and that it does seem to be running iffy when they do it with it ON.

Nice try but, as much as it can look good, the showcases look more and more like blatant sales pitches. I say bring on the honest reviews from reputable expert reviewers - untill then it's all show and fireworks to get your money.

Last edited:
guys, look deeper then "looks" ! :geek:

1. in a shooter some shadows will be deep allowing enemy to hide !
2. in a shooter you will see reflections in mirrors and glass of someone sneaking up behind you !
3. ever seen the "mirror in a mirror" in a game, looks so fake !

these things to name a few are not about looks ! It will introduce a new
way of fighting in certain situations, you will be checking every mirror and glass , every darkened corner !

......and you say I disregard shooters

i think this could be used with steam smoke water spray and other textures
to create more realism

But the big one for me is cockpit glass, not a single title where it looks any good

Staggers me the possibilities, open your minds :)

Last edited:
I'll be waiting for the 7nm releases next year before I consider upgrading from my $1300 1080ti, and I must admit, $1800 for the next gen card is a bit hard to accept even with RTX. I would consider a DD wheel before a 2080ti if outlaying that sort of cash.

What is more interesting is this DLSS
Seems you gain gobs with no AA needed
This could do heaps for new sims smoothing the hard edges ( F1 2018 looks horrid)
Be interesting to see if ACC employs this, hope so

TAA machine was using a GTX 1080, the one running DLSS an RTX 2080. Notice how those numbers are nearly double? So where the frames - the 1080 was pumping out roughly 40-odd frames per second, while the 2080-powered machine was pushing out between 70 and 80 frames per second - all while looking better

David Hollingworth
https://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/news/rtx-2080-first-impressions-nvidias-new-dlss-technology,500694

I'll be waiting for the 7nm releases next year before I consider upgrading from my $1300 1080ti, and I must admit, $1800 for the next gen card is a bit hard to accept even with RTX. I would consider a DD wheel before a 2080ti if outlaying that sort of cash.

I decided to skip founders edition ( never realized was credit cards only ) so getting msi 2080 instead

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 504 68.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 311 42.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 333 45.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 164 22.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 198 26.9%
Back