Nvidia Video Cards + Drivers

• Jacob Barnett

Gfx card advice

Guys, hoping someone can offer me a quick bit of advice.

Running a fairly low end system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-E
2GB Corsair Ram (PC3200)
ASUS GeForce 7600 GS

Used mainly for playing older racing sims that dont require the same kind of grunt as the modern stuff. Just getting into the excellent GTR:Evolution but even on the lower settings I am starting to see the FPS drop under 30 at times.

Hoping to solve the problem (for now) by spending perhaps £50-£60 on a new graphics card, most likely something NVIDIA as thats what I know but doesnt have to be the case.

Anybody care to offer any advice as to what will offer the best performance for this kind of money. Dont need any of the fancy ins/outs as long as its got VGA (or DVI) out.

Thanks in advance
Jacob:chuck:

Guys, hoping someone can offer me a quick bit of advice.

Running a fairly low end system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-E
2GB Corsair Ram (PC3200)
ASUS GeForce 7600 GS

Used mainly for playing older racing sims that dont require the same kind of grunt as the modern stuff. Just getting into the excellent GTR:Evolution but even on the lower settings I am starting to see the FPS drop under 30 at times.

Hoping to solve the problem (for now) by spending perhaps £50-£60 on a new graphics card, most likely something NVIDIA as thats what I know but doesnt have to be the case.

Anybody care to offer any advice as to what will offer the best performance for this kind of money. Dont need any of the fancy ins/outs as long as its got VGA (or DVI) out.

Thanks in advance
Jacob:chuck:

@jacob: I've got an 8600 gts which trundles along at 100fps or there abouts.

Don't know how much they are but given it's a fairly old card, you probably pick one up for not too much money.

• Jacob Barnett

Thanks Willie - thats good to know. Whats the rest of your system like?

• Jacob Barnett

@ Willie - Thanks Mate.

@Abdul - Where did you get the 8800 for that price?

jacob,if its any help, i know someone selling there 8800gt that is about 6-8 months old but never really been used,he's just upgraded to a 9800gtx2,(god knows why cos he hardly ever gets to use his pc for gaming. he bought it last year around june time,but due to his work schedule he never has time to use it, i keep telling him he should let me have it lol) he will sell me his 8800gt for £50. where in the uk are you?

i could find out how much to post it to you if you like.

Dave

• Jacob Barnett

Dave, thats a really kind offer but i've already sorted myself out.

I've ordered an ATI HD4670 512mb from Novatech for about £57. The deal clincher was its low power consumption and the fact that it doesnt need the 6pin PCI thing.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll post back as to how I get on.

• Kyle Evers

Jacob I bought XFX Geforce 8800 GS for £50. Couldnt resist. Plays GTR Evo on MAX settings(1920x1080). Not the slightest hiccup.

Like even AA and all of that stuff? Or just max in the in-game menu?

• Kyle Evers

I'm looking forward to running GTR Evo with all max settings and 60FPS+.

• Kyle Evers

Yeah. Since then, I've gotten my new processor, PSU, and 4850HD installed. I run easily over 60FPS with all maxed out settings and max AA and everything. Not sure how much accurately I have though, need to run Fraps.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 9 2.5%