Pc build simracing

Now I need to get into ryzen and ram in more details. I watched couple vids that compared performance between downgraded ddr5 (even 3600mhz) up to really fast 6600mhz and it showed that after 5k it’s almost no difference. Maybe I should watch more of different vids :)
1672180137426.png

This is what I tested at a race start with AI in ACC. FULL grid with everything on ultra, all cars visible and me starting last. Resolution set to 1024x768 though to have enough headroom with my 3080.

ACC is pretty RAM sensitive, especially timing. I mean look at that difference! PBO means single cores boosted to 5.6 GHz, stock = 5.3 GHz.

The other sims aren't as RAM sensitive or at least I couldn't clearly test this.
But with the 7600X they have above 100 FPS anyway if the GPU can keep up.
I found this:
Kingston Fury Renegade RGB, DDR5, 32 GB, 6000MHz, CL32 (KF560C32RSAK2-32)
Yeah that's a good one.
You can save a lot of money by getting the cheapest 5600 MHz Kingston though. 5200 can be micron but 5600 Kingston is always SK Hynix and ALL of the SK Hynix can run 6000CL30 or higher (but higher means overclocking the infinity fabric of the CPU etc.).

I bought this one 2x:
KF556C36BBE-16

The cheapest here in Germany would be:
KF556C40BBK2-32

169€ right now!

Btw: Do you render on the CPU and can actually earn money by maximizing the multi-core performance of the CPU?
Otherwise you can save A LOT on the CPU cooler!

I'm using a Le Grand Macho RT from Thermalright and the CPU never throttles while gaming! But even when I set a power limit or let it run into the thermal limit: It doesn't bounce into low clockspeeds, which can kill performance!
It hovers right at the maximum all the time and I don't think you would save more than 30 seconds on a 15 minute rendering by spending so much on the cooler...

Any "big fat air cooler" will do the job. Even a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 would probably be totally fine for gaming!
These CPUs are designed to hover around the thermal limit.

And:
Here I'm asking myself if I'll feel the 150USD difference in 4-6 years having all the USB, fan connectors and 'everything'.
Any imagination what that could be?
Missing USBs: Buy an active USB hub or if you get bugs/glitches, what very rarely happens!, buy a PCI-E card that actually adds USB controllers (50-75€).

Fan connectors.. Buy splitters! I'm using 6 case fans + CPU fan. Not sure how many more fans you plan on connecting? And even then you can also buy a fan controller that has one PWM input and gets the power for up to 10 fans from a sata power cable from the PSU.
More "everything" isn't there in my opinion and experience...

Way more important to get a full ATX board instead of some mATX or micro ITX board that lacks PCI-E slots for extension cards!

Make sure to buy a gpu with 3x display port! The amd reference models only have 2x DP + 1x HDMI!
Hi, does this lack of a third DP matter? my understanding is eyefinity sets up the triple screens with the mixture of connectors. I have a sapphire reference 7900xtx coming and certainly hope I can set it up this way.

Hi, does this lack of a third DP matter? my understanding is eyefinity sets up the triple screens with the mixture of connectors. I have a sapphire reference 7900xtx coming and certainly hope I can set it up this way.
It should work without issues! It's just that from what I heard, multi monitor usage for gaming can cause all kind of weird issues sometimes and having one monitor connected via a different digital handshake won't help.
(or more like DP = no real handshake needed, HDMI = handshake for certain HDMI specs)

But that's more a "be safe" thing than a "it won't work" thing.

If it works, it works. And it should work :)

It should work without issues! It's just that from what I heard, multi monitor usage for gaming can cause all kind of weird issues sometimes and having one monitor connected via a different digital handshake won't help.
(or more like DP = no real handshake needed, HDMI = handshake for certain HDMI specs)

But that's more a "be safe" thing than a "it won't work" thing.

If it works, it works. And it should work :)
Thanks for the reassurance, you had me worried there for a minute.

Ive heard that it might be best to get a usb c to dp cable/adapter for the 3rd monitor as there are less issues with that output.

Ill figure it out in about a week once my new card arrives.

I dont want to sell my old card but might have to to fund a possible CPU upgrade. I'm not sure how my 3600xt is going to bottleneck the 7900xtx at 7860 x 1440.

I have a sapphire reference 7900xtx coming and certainly hope I can set it up this way.
Hi,
just thought about you when watching this. The vapor chamber on ALL reference design 7900 XT/XTX has a big problem, when being horizontally (like normally in all cases...).
It only works correctly when mounted vertically.

Vertically the Hotspot of the cards stays around 86°C with fans rotating at 1750 RPM.
Horizontally mounted, the Hotspot climbs to 110°C, the fans ramp up to 2800 RPM and the card throttles down.
If you change the orientation while the card runs, the temps go up but won't go down again.

Massive shitshow for AMD after laughing at nvidia for their 4090 power plug desaster...

Last edited:
Hello simracers,

I want to build a pc for only simracing. I have triple monitors (27 inch 1440 and 165hz) and i want to play Iracing, ACC and Rrfactor2. Which combination of Cpu and Gpu would you suggest, and why. Amd 7600x and xt7900xtx or the 7600x with a Nvidia 4080.

Thanks in advance
get a loan from a bank. Good luck. A 4080 is too much for those games, specially if you don't have any talent for racing. Don't waste your money.

get a loan from a bank. Good luck. A 4080 is too much for those games, specially if you don't have any talent for racing. Don't waste your money.
I´d like to contradict this statement forcefully !

It is true that a good gaming rig does not make you Walter Röhrl/ Lewis Hamilton.
But it can give you joy (much needed in this time) and gives you opportunity to improve the biggest weak point. (which in my case is firmly strapped to the seat;))

Yes, my rig was more expensive than my first three cars together but it gives me joy (and got me through the plague with my sanity largely intact)

So absolutely worth it

Carsten

Last edited:
Wish I could say the same, the more iv spent (and during pandemic this was a stupid amount) the less I have played. I still enjoy it when I play but I have to force myself to get into the rig. I blame vr for taking the fun outta it with all the tweaking and disappointment.

• Deleted member 1066209

Wish I could say the same, the more iv spent (and during pandemic this was a stupid amount) the less I have played. I still enjoy it when I play but I have to force myself to get into the rig. I blame vr for taking the fun outta it with all the tweaking and disappointment.
Didn't you upgrade to a 4090? That ought to have minimized the tweaking for VR.

No I built a new machine but opted for a 3080ti some time back. Maybe it’s the 7700x cpu u r thinking of?
I almost grabbed a 4090 last night but decided unless I’m putting more hours in then it’s not worth it. Uk prices for msi 4090 where into the £1700s last night hence the temptation. Mad that that seems cheap ish now fs. If it keeps up my next gpu will come surrounded by a PlayStation.

Hi,
just thought about you when watching this. The vapor chamber on ALL reference design 7900 XT/XTX has a big problem, when being horizontally (like normally in all cases...).
Hey, ended up cancelling my order as it still hasnt shipped yet. Just waiting for pypal to give me my money back. Debauer was saying its either a lack of fluid and or pressure in the vapour chamber and there is no issue with the chamber design, just poor manufacturing. Either way its a shitshow and ill be looking to buy a non reference design as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 482 69.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 294 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 318 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 147 21.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.4%
Back