PC3 Project CARS 3 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly delayed news about a Slightly Mad Studios product - Project CARS 3 is now available to the general public having released on console and PC Thursday 27th August.
  • PCARS 3 available on Xbox, PS4 and PC.
  • Over 200 cars and 120 tracks available.
At long last, following a brief early access period for people who pre-ordered the title, Project CARS 3 has finally released to the wider world - hitting real and virtual stores yesterday (Thursday 27th August) for both console and PC versions of the title.

PCARS 3 Middle.jpg

Representing something of a departure from the original Project CARS franchise, the third instalment of the series places a greater focus on the customisation of both the car and game experience - moving away from the more simulation roots of the original games.

With a loyal fanbase of the original games having mixed feelings about the new direction on the build up to release, it will be very interesting indeed to see how well received the new title is over the coming days and weeks.

PCARS 3 Middle 2.jpg

About the game:

OWN YOUR JOURNEY

• 200+ elite-brand race & road cars
• 120+ global tracks
• Wide set of race conversion kits
• Race to earn Credits & XP
• Buy & own 100s of cars
• Upgrade cars with realistic performance parts
• Customize your car liveries with racing- & community-inspired elements
• Personalize your drivers

FEEL EACH MOMENT

• Fully scalable assists for all skill levels
• Convincing & fun handling
• 24-hour cycle, dynamic all-seasons, all-weather racing
• Unrivalled Controller Experience
• Visceral sense of speed
• Intense crash effects & car-contact
• Enhanced AI

EARN EVERY WIN

• New & deeply engaging career mode
• Battle your way up from weekend warrior to racing legend
• New & compelling Multiplayer and Community Modes
• Fun & exciting Daily Challenges

Project CARS 3 is available now for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Got questions about the sim? Want to share your thoughts and opinions about the latest title with the sim racing community? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread today!

PCARS 3 Footer.jpg

Last edited:
These talks about "no weather", I assume in this context it's just dry/wet conditions as AC had some weather even in vanilla form, and CSP and SOL already took it to "weather simulator" level.
And wet condition is getting proper physics now, still WIP but getting there.
WOW...now this is amazing, the rain on the windscreen is looking so real, life like.

can I just ask someone before I go insane what the hell has other games with weather got to do with my ORIGINAL post wishing that SMS had concentrated on refining the sim aspects of PC2 rather than go down the sim "lite" route they have with PC3....I mean has reading comprehension taking a complete dive recently??
Gosh, are you replying to me directly?...not really sure as there is no 'Quoted text' in your post. Apologises for the random off topic replay to Andrew_WOT's post if so, as the rain did impress the hell out of me :geek::redface::)...just a knee jerk reaction ;)

Last edited:
can I just ask someone before I go insane what the hell has other games with weather got to do with my ORIGINAL post
Yes I've read over the thread from your post and I read it as spreading the butter too thin and given their track record I'm not expecting any extra for PC3 either.
When you go back to the original Simbin where they focused on GT seasons for two years and got nearly everything right it sorta help make your point.

• Deleted member 963434

These talks about "no weather", I assume in this context it's just dry/wet conditions as AC had some weather even in vanilla form, and CSP and SOL already took it to "weather simulator" level.
And wet condition is getting proper physics now, still WIP but getting there.
abous weather in AC i saw it aerlier and im amazed how home made modders can make better looking rain on the glass and wipers graphics than official devs. in AC those effect looks better than in pCARS2 and ACC (i play ACC on lowest so maybe not) but in this video it looks like real life

Bought the game and installed and ran the required race to buy the first car. Went to custom race and that 1 purchased car in my garage seemed to be all I could drive. Finally figured out how to toggle between owned and loaned vehicles. Looking for max graphics tweaks now.

Last edited:
Gosh, are you replying to me directly?...not really sure as there is no 'Quoted text' in your post. Apologises for the random off topic replay to Andrew_WOT's post if so, as the rain did impress the hell out of me :geek::redface::)...just a knee jerk reaction ;)
Nah mate it's nothing to do with you, it's the ones keeping on replying as if I said PC2 had the best weather and is the only game with weather etc etc......when I only used weather to illustrate one of the many factors that PC2 did (and damn well too at the time, only ACC is anywhere near and arguably better, AMS2 uses the same engine) that added complexity to the game. Coupled with the limited support, PC2 is sim that NEEDED constant dev support like all the other sims, if it had that PC2 would have been closer to what many wanted....sadly SMS then go in the other direction for PC3.

Yes I've read over the thread from your post and I read it as spreading the butter too thin and given their track record I'm not expecting any extra for PC3 either.
When you go back to the original Simbin where they focused on GT seasons for two years and got nearly everything right it sorta help make your point.

EXACTLY!! Same reason ACC is so good it's focused.

Same reason AMS2 will take a while for everything to click because they too have so much content, good thing is REIZA will stay the course! AMS2 for me is the spiritual successor to PC2.

abous weather in AC i saw it aerlier and im amazed how home made modders can make better looking rain on the glass and wipers graphics than official devs. in AC those effect looks better than in pCARS2 and ACC (i play ACC on lowest so maybe not) but in this video it looks like real life

Indeed that does look excellent.

Main difference is the modders don't have to create a game engine (many couldn't, at least not alone and it would take a LONG time), Modders don't have time constraints.....the work is done when it's done and they are happy with it. Game devs often don't have the luxery of time and have many pressures on them (usually financial).

Case in point I don't believe the weather mod is fnished yet. If it was done by a full time dev team there would be harrassing social media messages berating them for taking so long.

TLDR: Quality often takes time, time being a commodity many full time devs do not have in abundance.

Coupled with the limited support, PC2 is sim that NEEDED constant dev support like all the other sims, if it had that PC2 would have been closer to what many wanted....sadly SMS then go in the other direction for PC3.
Yes agree :)...but the way I see it Reiza's AMS2 is going to make the 'Madness Engine' their own and in many ways more than what PC2 might have become with further development...as for PC3, I think SMS is showcasing how flexible the 'Madness Engine' can be using it for 'Arcade' (PC3) and 'Sim' (Automobilista 2) at this moment, ....so showing other possible Game / Sim Development companies that are looking for a game engine to use for their possible up-coming game.
The Unreal Engine, although ACC is fantastic, is not really targeted at Sim Development, where as the 'Madness Engine', in the right hands is....just a thought :)

Last edited:
Think twice, if and because we already have so/too many "good" Arcade games so why to create 1 more, what was the point and reason for PC3 if not just collecting more money with the almost same but worse source code? They promised so much more!

I can appreciate many games that are similar but still slightly different. I like PC3 so far, and I liked GRID, Forza Motorsport, and Forza Horizon, etc..

That assumes all the studio agree on the same implementation of the physics model, and like car makers IRL, there is no one way to do things.

In other posts same subject I have highlight iR and RRE would be 2 would not do it ;)
never said all studios either

Same engine Same model car or track can be "tweaked" many ways to feel different
I mean isn't that what people say ie: how much pCars1 improved with updates or take AMS2
how much car handling was improved with no community input whatsoever ....

I just like to know the pro and con from a developers perspective to me seems there would be many advantages, like standardized VR quality / performance and dozen other big ticket items to start
I still have not thought of any downside............ can you

Would only need 2-3 studios to start as a side project develop over years get good results another studio joins etc.

I mean they abandoned established sim engines for eye candy in shooters engine
Fine be content with that I never will be ;)

Last edited:
Yes agree :)...but the way I see it Reiza's AMS2 is going to make the 'Madness Engine' their own and in many ways more than what PC2 might have become with further development...as for PC3, I think SMS is showcasing how flexible the 'Madness Engine' can be using it for 'Arcade' (PC3) and 'Sim' (Automobilista 2) at this moment, ....so showing other possible Game / Sim Development companies that are looking for a game engine to use for their possible up-coming game.
The Unreal Engine, although ACC is fantastic, is not really targeted at Sim Development, where as the 'Madness Engine', in the right hands is....just a thought :)

Indeed I've mentioned before I think a logical reason for PC3s dip into "simlite" (I prefer that to "arcade" which apart from F355 challenge means unrealistic racer and PC3 is far from that!) territory is the fact that SMS didn't want to tread on the ground AMS2 was on.

If the madness engine has any fundamental flaws Reiza should find them and fix them. Personaly I don't think it has, a lot of complaints about the madness engine stem from gamers judging "reality" from a rival sim, incorrect assumptions on what FFB sensations are real and should be felt through a wheel, SMS having too much content to get everything dialled in as good as they could, and SMS not supporting the game as long as other devs in the genre. It's a really powerful engine IMO....although if it has a weakness I'd say Ai.

Indeed I've mentioned before I think a logical reason for PC3s dip into "simlite" (I prefer that to "arcade" which apart from F355 challenge means unrealistic racer and PC3 is far from that!) territory is the fact that SMS didn't want to tread on the ground AMS2 was on.

This is like the tail wagging the dog.

First, AMS2 is not on console. Most Project Cars sales are on console. The existence of AMS2 should not influence the direction of PC3.

Second, even on PC, AMS2 was always going to be a niche product. There were 10 people playing PC2 for every person playing AMS1 on steam. Even if Reiza doubled or trebled their market share (and it hasn't) they were not going to be a "thrreat" to PC3. Indeed PC2 has always sold better on the steam sales charts than AMS2, even though its 3 years old and still full price.

Third, SMS do not own Reiza. They will get a small % of the sales revenue of AMS2. SMS would not destroy their prime IP to help out Reiza. ISI did not stop making sims just because they licensed out their game engine.

Fourth, Paul Rustchynsky who was game director on PC3, joined SMS in August 2018 which was before Reiza had even asked to try the Madness Engine. I'm pretty sure SMS had decided to go for the Shift type game before AMS2 was even a factor. Paul Rustchynsky worked on Drive Club and Onrush prior to joining SMS. He is not the guy you hire for a hardcore sim.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 88 30.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 58 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 63 21.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Forum trophies