Project Tilke Designs

We have decided.

We keep RD as our main branch, and the Fastlane as the 2nd branch.

So we still have to post our designs here, the Fastlane forums is optional.

And remember:
4508-art.jpg

The second page? How did this happen?

Here's what I would do to the newest Tilke-drome, the Yas Marina Circuit.

This "original" layout is that on which we will see a parade *crosses out* race two weeks from now.

yas-marina-circuit-map-2.gif

My first proposal consists of these changes:

-The first corner has been smoothed out, leading to higher speeds
-The chicane before the hairpin to the far right has been removed (note that this road already exists!)
-The corner complex at the bottom-left has been replaced with a hairpin

This one I imagine would be rather less popular, as it would go through parts of the shaded marina (obviously the most important part of this development!) The first turn I added is supposed to be less sharp then I had it, but I'm lousy with Paint. I first considered just making it a large, ~270* semi-banked turn, but that would be just a little bit ridiculous... on second thought, why not? :drool:

yasmarinav3.gif

Thoughts?

Nice designs. :thumb:

Sorry can't figure out a design, computer gets a new mouse last week and just figured out how to "correctly" assemble it last Friday (just figured out it's a USB mouse :p)

This is probably going to look pretty stupid, but here goes... I'm sure that, somewhere or another, you guys have seen concepts of an "ultimate racetrack" formed by sticking together a bunch of corners from other racetracks. Well, here's mine... stiched together horribly with Paint and Google Maps, which are in no way appropriate tools for such a job >_<

ultimatecircuit.jpg

Anyway, it's a figure-8 track... I like the idea of an "ultimate" track being a figure-8, because the cars are equally turning left and right. This is also fair to drivers/cars from all countries... and besides, I don't think I could have made it fit any other way! If you really squint, you may be able to make out the corners I used... for the rest of us, I'll fill you in. I tried to avoid using corners that seemed to always make it into these things unless they really fit into the flow, and threw in others that I really like but not many others do...

T1 La Source, Spa. A corner I really like for some reason, and makes for a great first corner... just get rid of that paved runoff area :thinking:
T2: Curva Grande, Monza. A very long straight before it (without the chicane!) will make this extremely exciting, and test those low-downforce setups...
T3-5: Senna "S", Interlagos. There's always a lot of passing and excitement here, and in games and the like it always seemed very fun to drive through.
T6: Turn 8, Istanbul. Yes, I know this is in all of these tracks, but it's still great and, IMO, it fits into the "flow".
T7-9: Tunnel/Nouvelle Chicane, Monaco. I actually don't care about the tunnel-to me, it's more of a gimmick then anything. But the long sweeper, then the downhill run to the chicane, is always fun, and it slows the cars down after so many high-speed turns.
T10-11: Turns 3/3A, Sears Point. I had to include my local track in there somewhere... >_> I know it isn't often considered among the world's best, but this complex is great: 3 is a left, faster then it appears because it's in a dip, then 3A is on top of a ridge and completely blind; the cars always wants to fly away, and it's great when you get it right...
I threw in part of the front straight of Indianapolis to make the thing fit together >_>
T12: Paddock Hill, Brands Hatch. Widely considered to be great: steeply downhill right-hander, tons of action, etc.
T13-15: Spoon, Suzuka. Very tough to get right, and as we know from real life, it's great to put before a long straight.

Thoughts? Deserved criticism? I'd like to see what other people do with this...

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 482 69.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 293 42.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 318 45.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 147 21.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.4%
Back