Rate Jean Alesi

Jean Alesi at his best was a spectacular driver. Yes, I've always been a fan so I'm probably not objective.

He almost won at Phoenix 1990 with a Tyrrell and shocked the world.

Sure he got spanked by Prost at Ferrari 1991 but then again Prost beat five world champion teammates (Senna, Lauda, Rosberg, Hill and Mansell) during his career. That's not a thing to be ashamed of.

Yes, Alesi made a lot of reckless mistakes and let emotions affect his driving too much.

He wasted his best years in a non-competitive Ferrari because once again he let his emotions decide and chose Ferrari instead of making a contract with winning constructor Williams (that contract was offered to him).

No way I think he was at Senna/Hakkinen/Schumacher/Alonso level but he had huge potential and deserved much more than just one win.

Great video.

Last edited:
Alesi was a character a Italian driver with French citizenship. When i first went to Montreal in 1990 something his fans where all Italians. Mr Schumacher was set for the Benetton Win but oh no he could not chainge gear. Need a pitstop for a new wheel and a loss of time to give Alesi his only Win. A man who lead Ayerton Senna in a Tyrrell at round one at Pheonix, He deserved more wins. Probably one of the most popular drivers in the sport. But popularity dose not win races.

Jean Alesi at his best was a spectacular driver. Yes, I've always been a fan so I'm probably not objective.

He almost won at Phoenix 1990 with a Tyrrell and shocked the world.

Sure he got spanked by Prost at Ferrari 1991 but then again Prost beat five world champion teammates (Senna, Lauda, Rosberg, Hill and Mansell) during his career. That's not a thing to be ashamed of.

Yes, Alesi made a lot of reckless mistakes and let emotions affect his driving too much.

He wasted his best years in a non-competitive Ferrari because once again he let his emotions decide and chose Ferrari instead of making a contract with winning constructor Williams (that contract was offered to him).

No way I think he was at Senna/Hakkinen/Schumacher/Alonso level but he had huge potential and deserved much more than just one win.

Great video.

Ferrari is the toughest team to drive for. Becuse the team is motivated by politics as Alain Prost said.

He was born on the exact day like me (no kidding!) and so I do like him a lot and think that he's special. Also like Jackie Stewart - if you look him up as well you will understand. Us Geminis...;-)

He was a good but not great driver. Capable of winning in good equipment. That Williams offered him a ride is telling. Frank Williams openly stated that he did not want the best drivers in his cars, so when they won it was obvious it was his car, not the driver, responsible (note that any driver who won the championship for Williams was dumped before the next season).

He also competed in LeMans, DTM, and Indycar (only once in the latter, I believe). Not many wins but usually near the front ...consistently good is better than occasionally outstanding in my opinion.

He was a good but not great driver. Capable of winning in good equipment. That Williams offered him a ride is telling. Frank Williams openly stated that he did not want the best drivers in his cars, so when they won it was obvious it was his car, not the driver, responsible (note that any driver who won the championship for Williams was dumped before the next season).

He also competed in LeMans, DTM, and Indycar (only once in the latter, I believe). Not many wins but usually near the front ...consistently good is better than occasionally outstanding in my opinion.
He said the best car he ever drove was a Tyrrell. In the early days when he almost beat Senna at Pheonix. I think he just got emotional in the car and lost concentration. Like Mansell waving to the fans on the last lap and stalling the car. You have to keep calm up to the finish.

Like Mansell waving to the fans on the last lap and stalling the car. You have to keep calm up to the finish.

Mansell at his best was a spectacular driver. Won CART, etc.

But I went to see his stats against teammates and they're not that flattering.

Elio De Angelis beat him at Lotus
Keke Rosberg clearly beat him at Williams 1985
Nelson Piquet beat him at Williams 1987
Prost totally demolished him on Ferrari 1990

Sure 1986 was just bad luck (that Adelaide tyre explosion) but Mansell (imho) was unstoppable at best he also was a reckless driver who made a lot of crucial mistakes.

Not as great as the UK media has painted him to be. Sure, many wins and poles but we have to remember that he drove very, very competitive cars all through his career.

That being said, he was one of my favorite drivers. His pass on Berger at Jacarepagua (I think 1990) was unforgettable.

Just trying to be objective.

Last edited:
Mansell was his own worst enemy in that he had to have a a disbeliever to fight against and prove wrong, Frank Williams said as a driver he was outstanding, as a person he wasn't the person you'd choose to be in a room with, Piquet said Mansell should have had 3 WDC's but for politics, Mansell could not do politics so drove himself often beyond his talent.

Keke Rosberg related once that one day when Nico was young he asked..."so Dad do you really know Nigel Mansell?"

I've been watching a lot of races lately. Found a channel that hosts them. Put the link to this forum too.

After every single race Mansell complains about something. Even after his wins. It was always either some issue with the car or physical condition of himself. Then he painted a picture of his heroic battle against crappy car or against all those injuries.

When Prost came to Ferrari 1990 Mansell welcomed him with open arms. But when he realized Prost was so much better, he suddenly started complaining about Prost's politics. I have no idea, that might have been justifed but Prost said that there was no politics. Mansell was just annoyed that he spoke Italian and Mansell thought that gave him (Prost) a psychological edge in the team. Mansell made a lot of nasty remarks of Prost to UK media. I think it was just because he couldn't keep up with him.

But I guess that's how it has to be if you want to be a F1 driver. Always competing against a teammate. To his credit he was beaten by three world champions (Rosberg, Prost and Piquet). And yes, losing to Piquet 1987 was bit of a bad luck.

As much as I respect Schumacher, he never had a top teammate, not even close. Sure, he had 40-year old Piquet for 5 races and was quicker on qualifying but was beaten by him in points. It's tough to compare the drivers.

But Mansell winning CART after F1 was pretty amazing. And can't take those spectacular moments away from him. So colorful driver, so entertaining to watch.

Last edited:
Alesi was FAST. And never realised his potential. I remember standing trackside at Magny Cours '92 as the cars were passing. He was one of only a few that was giving it maximum effort EVERY single lap, it always looked like he was about to lose it, on the edge when most of the others were driving within their limits.
Alesi, Senna, Mansell, you could FEEL they were on the ragged edge.
I don't know, but I always thought he should have won more.

Last edited:
Yes, Alesi was "all or nothing"-type of driver. Mansell too. Amazingly fast occasionally but completely the opposite of Lauda, Prost and Piquet who were calculating and took very few risks.

Senna was one level above but he too was "all or nothing driver".

But when we go and see the 1988 and 1989 stats, we can see that Prost outscored him in BOTH years. The 1988 points system just gave Senna the title.

Sure Senna was faster in one lap but as an overall racing driver Prost was equal or even better. And no other driver in F1 history beat five world champion teammates. Not even close.

It's amazing how underrated Prost is. He just wasn't Hollywood material, not tall and handsome pretty boy like Senna and didn't die young.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgf

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back