F1 2021 Ray tracing opinions?

F1 2021 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey all. I played the game a bit earlier. Is it just me or does the game look and perform better with no ray tracing? I do not know if it's confirmed it has ray tracing while driving on PC bit I'm seeing a lot of ghosting and my fps goes from 170 to 90. I am seeing no visual improvements to justify the fps loss. Any input is welcome.

The shadows looked a bit softer in the benchmark for me but I turned them off, they didn't make a big enough difference for me to keep on but I didn't lose quite that many FPS, for me it was going from ~45 to around 70 with my 2070 Super with everything else set to ultra.

Ray tracing is supposed to impact your fps, so that's not really an issue

My issue with ray tracing in this game is that it's not making the game look any better IMO. It's currently not worth the performance hit

And DLSS doesn't look that great either. Maybe a patch will sort this stuff out.

Yep I know RT reduced fps. I think it does not justify the perforce impact. As I said I'm seeing a lot of ghosting especially if you try external camera around the wheels. I tried to take screenshots from the same positions and try to find differences with RT on and off but did not find it to be that different. For reference I do not run DLSS , 3440x1440 resolution on a 3080ti card.

Hey all. I played the game a bit earlier. Is it just me or does the game look and perform better with no ray tracing? I do not know if it's confirmed it has ray tracing while driving on PC bit I'm seeing a lot of ghosting and my fps goes from 170 to 90. I am seeing no visual improvements to justify the fps loss. Any input is welcome.
I have not exercised Ray Tracing at all better in graphic or realism on track and climatic effects in general.
Another wrong thing I exercised is that has ray tracing on the pilot cap cloth, at the time of giving interview in CUT SCENE.

This was stupid, as if the cap was made of glass.

Ray tracing is supposed to impact your fps, so that's not really an issue

My issue with ray tracing in this game is that it's not making the game look any better IMO. It's currently not worth the performance hit

And DLSS doesn't look that great either. Maybe a patch will sort this stuff out.
Ray tracing is not really going to make any game look significantly better, apart from some very edge cases in certain situations

Graphic engine developers have refined their engines so much over the years that they can already give very near ray tracing visuals without the massive processing overhead of actual ray tracing, effectively negating the need for ray tracing.

For ray tracing to truly shine the materials (textures but a bit more than that) really have to be absolutely bang on, and the scenes have to involve diffraction and indirect lighting - most of which have already been well "emulated" by non ray tracing engines .

Way back in the mid nineties I used to do a lot of architectural renderings based on CAD files suppled by my clients. For most of the work I used something called "Phong" shading as it produced results as good as ray tracing and even provided pseudo reflections if you used an environment map. It enabled me to produce a frame in 2 minutes as opposed to 2 hours.

So turn off ray tracing and enjoy your increased FPS and lower electricity bills.

Last edited:
The shadow draw distance is significantly less, half from last year. Raytraced shadows draw further but aren't done very well at all. I get very blurry textures also on my RTX 3080. Why they've only got the option for texture streaming and no option to turn off. Replays look good, gameplay looks ugly. I'm so fed up with EA just wanting revenue over a quality product.

Ray tracing is not really going to make any game look significantly better, apart from some very edge cases in certain situations

Graphic engine developers have refined their engines so much over the years that they can already give very near ray tracing visuals without the massive processing overhead of actual ray tracing, effectively negating the need for ray tracing.

For ray tracing to truly shine the materials (textures but a bit more than that) really have to be absolutely bang on, and the scenes have to involve diffraction and indirect lighting - most of which have already been well "emulated" by non ray tracing engines .

Way back in the mid nineties I used to do a lot of architectural renderings based on CAD files suppled by my clients. For most of the work I used something called "Phong" shading as it produced results as good as ray tracing and even provided pseudo reflections if you used an environment map. It enabled me to produce a frame in 2 minutes as opposed to 2 hours.

So turn off ray tracing and enjoy your increased FPS and lower electricity bills.
Common cloth hats on the head of the pilots, reflect the same glass, do you think it good?

The shadow draw distance is significantly less, half from last year. Raytraced shadows draw further but aren't done very well at all. I get very blurry textures also on my RTX 3080. Why they've only got the option for texture streaming and no option to turn off. Replays look good, gameplay looks ugly. I'm so fed up with EA just wanting revenue over a quality product.
Common cloth hats on the head of the pilots, reflect the same glass, do you think it good?

If I've correctly understood what you've written then it would mean that the material (texture) of the fireproof balaclavas (cloth hats) have an incorrect reflectivity attribute, and has nothing to do with the actual rendering type used.
EA haven't had enough time to get their claws that deep into Codemasters, meaning that they haven't shut the studio and buggered off with the IP, yet.

Nah, this is just typical codemasters.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 278 36.8%
  • Porsche

Votes: 288 38.1%
  • BMW

Votes: 271 35.9%
  • McLaren

Votes: 176 23.3%
  • Toyota

Votes: 283 37.5%
  • Intel

Votes: 94 12.5%