RD Formula Pro Series S2 (GTR Evolution)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yves, ISI have terrible recreations of tracks. Barcelona is shown to have the first corner going uphill very sharply for some reason... Shanghai is very blocky, like from an early '90s game and the cerbs on every other track are badly done.

ISI + Tracks =
facepalm.jpg

Interview with the AF3KGPC champion (N. Vesterinen).

Hello club members and simracing fans in general. The below will be an interview with Niklas Vesterinen, the AF3KGPC champion with 4 wins, 1 second, 9 poles and 9 fastest laps out of 9 championeship events.

Although this interview is aimed at our virtual hobby and personal questions about “real live” aren’t welcome, we will start with an inoffensive introduction:

Q: So, present yourself, please tell us that usual short text about who you are (or you think you are :wink2: ) where do you reside (no, don’t give us your address just tell us if you leave under a palm tree), basically just demystify the whisper of you not being from this planet and confirm to us you aren’t a Viking either :).

A: My name is Niklas Vesterinen. I am 22 years old and I am a construction worker but currently unemployed. I live near Karlstad Sweden but I am originally from Finland.

Now to what really matters…

Q: What was your first car simulation, remembers us when you joined RD in October 2008 and why/how?

A: I have been a motorsports fan since I started following F1 in 1998. And in September 2008 I saw some simracing videos on Youtube and watched an episode of “Inside Simracing” and was very impressed and after that I bought a G25 wheel and downloaded GTR Evolution. Then from Youtube I saw a video from RD and I went to check out the site and saw a thread about the upcoming NGP and decided to sign up and buy GTR Evolution. Reasons for choosing RD and GTR Evo was purely coincidental, they simply caught my attention first. And I’m glad they did.

Q: You own Race07(GTR Evo) I think you own rFactor too, apart from this two do you simrace with some other game/simulation?

A: Actually I am only active with GTR Evo I own rFactor as well but thus far I have only tried it a few times but never entered races with it. The only reason for that is that I the leagues that I have wanted to race in have all been with Evo.

Q: How did you saw the championship (AF3KGPC) as an all, I know you had a small (but important) role within its organization, so what was your view of it?

A: It was a excellently organized championship by Eric. He did a fantastic job from start to finish. RD should be very happy to have him he is a great asset with advanced skills in many areas that most people don’t know anything about.

Q: In real live some professional pilots leading races, when nearing the final laps start to imagine weird noises (that in truce most of the times were always there) and other kind of mental wearies. Knowing your connection problems, we can guess what kind of preoccupations were going through your mind when nearing the checkered-flag, talk us about that and speaking of it, what’s wrong with your connection? You could have warped up this championship (AF3kGPC) early-on if it wasn’t the four disconnections this season… you reside in Sweden; Sweden is a developed (even rich) country, what’s wrong with broadband in there?

A: Yes that was a constant worry but it did not affect me particularly other than in the last race where I got very nervous every time a few laps went by without anyone to put a lap behind. I had to activate the trackmap and see all the blue dots to know that was still in the race. The cause of the problem was hardware related but is fixed now and I have a new modem and upgraded broadband connection. But I still have a piece of sh*t old PC so I can never be too safe until I buy a new one. :)

Q: At the beginning of the championship you thought you had equally paced simracers among the championship, or on the contrary, you knew more or less the others were somewhat slower?

A: I knew that they would be slower but did not know by how much. It was quite surprising to take pole by 1,5 sec in the first race.

Q: Wining every race you finished with 1 lap (or almost) to every one of your adversaries (including the racer in 2nd) must somehow be boring, or not?

A: Well yes but I always had other personal goals in the races and I was always racing myself. It is hard to perform when you need to do so I saw the races as an opportunity to practice that.

Q: How did you view your adversaries, overall why do you think they can’t keep up with your pace (you were about 1 to 2 seconds a lap faster than the 2nd fastest)?

A: They are very fair clean racers and they gave each other some really nice fights. I have gotten to know a few of them and they are also good guys off the track. As for why they are a bit slower I think is up to them to explain. But I guess it's the same reason why I can’t play guitar as good as Alexi Laiho :) (Finnish guitar hero from the band Children of Bodom).

Q: For instances, a F1 pole position was about 1.44 in Singapore in RL, I’m sure there are many factors into it, but why do you think you could do a 1.41 with a F3000 in Race07?

A: The simulated Singapore track we raced on is very different from the real one. It's all about this version of this track that made the times faster than the real life F1's. The gap to my main competitors Nico and Patrick was 2,7-2,8 sec which is way more then it usually is but that was just a matter of less preparation from their part.

Q: Having any mind that we are all here to have fun and that one can have lots of fun independently of the position on the track, what kind of advice you would give to someone who wanted to reach your race pace?

A: Just try to have as much fun as possible, that's why we are here. Everyone has whatever talent they are born with and all they can do is try and reach their highest level of performance. We are here just to have fun and no matter what your speed is you can always find racers with pace equal to your own to race against.

If we go to YouTube, there are hundreds of in car videos with many “ace” drivers (being it circuit or rally) with many driving techniques (they change according to vehicle and surface) but all apply the same constant, brake and/or turn but with a gear in that keeps the engine in a power zone (at least for security reasons).

So after observing several replays of your simdriving technique, one thing that early on jumped into my view is that not only you brake later than most (wish is consistent with you being the fastest of the championship) but importantly, you brake heavy, but keep the high gear in, the engine rpm goes very low and then when you want to exit the turn, you quickly downshift and put the desired exit gear in.

The above can be an interesting technique in simulations because if the braking of the car is well balanced, one hasn’t to deal with the differential coast (and all the forces associated with it) while going into a corner, concentrating in this way better (and only) in the braking itself.

So after this hopefully helpful :wink2: but large introduction, will continue with the interview with the following question:

Q: Did you always break and down-shift like that in racing simulations (Race07)? Do you use it in every class or just in single sitters?

A: I have done it as far as I can remember, it's not something I think about it's just what came naturally to me. I have very little experience with non-openwheel cars but when I did a race in the STC with the GT PRO Koeningsegg I got the advice from my team mates to use the engine brake more. So with that car I did pretty much the opposite of what I usually do and shifted down to the desired gear very fast. It was hard to get used to, but it seemed to work better for that car. Have no idea if it's any better for openwheel cars I just do what feels the easiest and most comfortable for me.

Q: Do you use this technique in real live (automatic transmission habit for instances)?

A: I have no real life racing experience and during the winter when I go sideways and play around with my car I just use the throttle :)

Q: Do you feel that this breaking technique helps you gaining that extra time while braking and cornering?

A: Maybe but I don’t really know. Well since it comes natural to me and I don’t have to think about it I guess I helps me. That said I don’t think it's necessarily the fastest way but perhaps the best for me personally.

Q: Since we are into the technical questions and taking into perspective that any answers in this area is heavily related with how each one interacts with his controller (and even different controllers); please tell us if you can, around what type of values your dry power lock settings usually are in the F3000 (race07)?

A: I At first I tried to get as high diff as possible without it causing understeer in high speed corners (unless it was a very fast track with mostly high speed corners then I just went low). I felt/thought that a high diff would give me best traction out of slow corners. But in the later part of this season I didn't bother anymore and used the default setting around 20-30% all the time.

Well, that’s sufficient about the past and technical questions, let’s move on to the future :wink2:

Q: The unavoidable question, will you defend your title next season?

A: I will definitely be there and will do my best to defend my title.

Q: There is a strong possibility of the championship “upgrading” to F1, how do you see that and have you tested the F1 MOD?

A: When I first started simdriving I did so with F1's in mind but after trying the F3000 for a few minutes I realized I needed to start somewhere way lower so I started with FBMW's. And then went on to F3000's and now the natural step forward would be F1's. And yes we are praying that the mod will be finished in time so that we can use it. And yes I have tested it and will be helping on its development as a test driver. And I can tell you it's looking fantastic! Beautiful beyond my expectations and the cars run so good! MMG are doing a great job with it and I think once it's ready it will be a really great mod. I am very excited about it!

Q: Another unavoidable question, and be honest here :wink2:, do you expect someone to be near your race pace? In other words, with the names lining up for the championship do you see anyone to go “wing to wing” with you?

A: Yes! There is one driver who I have seen who has similar race pace to mine in F3000's and I am certain he will be looking forward to this league. I have a feeling that the general interest for this league will be huge and that it will have a much stronger driver line-up then this season's F3000 Championship. I am expecting the number of participants to require RD to use several servers.

Q: Race On will be here soon, are you “siding” with simbin with this one too, or will you be jumping this?

A: I will check it out but I’m not sure yet if I will buy it.

Q: Any other virtual simulation catches your eye?

A: rFactor 2 will probably be something special when it arrives. I have not really looked around for others I have been having such a good time here with what I got.

Finely we are reaching the end, anything you would like to say or feel it was left out of the interview and needs to be here, this is your chance :wink2:

Would just like to say thank you to Racedepartment for everything the staff there does. And a special thanks to Eric Kaczmarek for all the he has done at RD and creating and managing this league and for everything that he will do in the future. Also a special thanks to Tim Hogendoorn for his awesome video making skills and Daniel Pettit for his superb commentary! They made the by far best race reviews I have ever seen!
Finally I would like to dedicate this championship title to my team the Roaring Pipes Maniacs, the greatest simracing team in the world! :wink2:

Ok, I think I will make most of your above words my words too, this interview as come to an end and I hope you guys had a view into the “person” behind the “persona” of “ Niklas Vesterinen our current AF3KGPC champion.

Thanks to him for his time and honest answers and thanks all for reading, hope you have enjoyed it.

João Andias, Niklas Vesterinen and Eric Kazmarek.

Attachments

• AF3kGPC.png
    AF3kGPC.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 196
  • frontsidek.jpg
    frontsidek.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 225
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv