RD Rally Club - Kit Cars in Japan - 24th to 28th May 2024

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Club Staff
Premium
MTEK5em.jpg
Because it is soon a new WRC rally, we'll do another 2WD event. KitCars on tarmac is a very normal thing. Now we'll be heading to Japan. There will only be 6 stages in this event, but the last two will still be a challenge for the concentration!
Also. I forgot to make the thread yesterday.

Session Open: 00:00 UTC 24th of May to 23:59 UTC 28th of May 2024
Cars: F2 Kit Car
Itinerary:
Shakedown & 45 Min Service
SS1:
Hokono Lake - Dawn - Cloudy Dry - 6.9km
SS2: Nakatsugawa - Sunris - Part Cloud - 6.8km
Service - 45 Min
SS3:
Habu Dam - Morning - Clear - 10.3km
SS4: Tegano - Afternoon - Clear - 13.7km
Service - 45 Min
SS5
: Lake Mikawa - Sunset - Clear - 19.9km
SS6: Kudarisawa - Dusk - Part Cloud - 19.9km

Assists & Tuning: Allowed
Hardcore Damage: On!

Have fun! :D

To participate in the event, you must join our WRC-game Rally Club.
You can also read more about the Rally Club here.

Just in case, maybe it would have helped if the OP had a warning to remind that Track Degradation is set to Medium (no way to check ingame afaik, only on club), which can be a serious concern on F2/Kitcars. Due to the way they trounce front tyres, driving dynamics can change a lot when softer compounds wear off, so the 4th stage can turn into a trap.

Overall, I was lucky to have a decently clean run, until I got upside down+forced to reset with the finish line of the last stage in sight. *Sigh*

GL all!

So, just joined the club :) I'm a bit of a latecomer as I only bought the game last week. I must say that the game has re-ignited my interest in digital racing. I just had to buy it after we took part in the Antibes rally, which included some famous Monte stages.

Let's see if I can keep up with any of you, in the few sessions I've done so far there have always been some damn fast people at the front. It's my first time in the kit cars and also my first time in Japan, so I'm not expecting a good result. But I'm sure it will be a lot of fun :) I just hope that the pacenotes don't hold any surprises for me.

@Karln3r Can't comment on YT, but yeah med>soft>med wasn't a good call, imho soft>soft>med is preferable. The most problematic is the mid leg where mediums would avoid having softs on red by the second half of SS4, if you prefer safety over a fast SS3. But because of the *** way tyre selection works and discards previously used tyres, it's impossible to use softs>med>med after gaining an extra med set with the shakedown. So you'll still be on softs in that leg (if not keeping older mediums), and couldn't take softs on the first where they're optimal.

Sadly SS4 isn't going well for Roy. I warned about it because car behavior will worsen drastically as softs go red+med track degradation. So it'll ramp up in difficulty and require adaptation without much warning.

Edit: It seems he only wore them down to yellow, but it should still be felt.
I guess I drove more like a hooligan in SS3+4, as 15-18km is usually enough for me to end them on red in a Kitcar, let alone 23km. :unsure:
Anyway, GL on the last stages! If you keep it tidy, it should feel safer than before. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sadly SS4 isn't going well for Roy. I warned about it because car behavior will worsen drastically as softs go red+med track degradation. So it'll ramp up in difficulty and require adaptation without much warning.
Oh, my problems on SS4 was not down to tyre wear. I struggled big time with concentration on that stage, my mind was going all over the place. That is what lack of sleep over several days does to you, I suppose.
I did get myself together for the last 2 stages (mostly), so all in all it did end pretty well.
I did beat @Hartmut2 over that last stage, after trailing by mere tenths before it, so all in all it was a good rally :D :D

You could do so too, after all you are also driving the real life car :D

True. And I'll share two videos with better driving. As the one you chose was the first time I was driving a car in 12 months! :p

Race Onboard Helmet Cam, driver... Me! Actual racing starts at 09:04 (first minutes are Code 60)

Second stint. Helmet Cam overheated, so combi-cam for this one.

So, I am out. After stage 1 I was positively surprised. I had a two or three close calls in sector 1 and 2, which cost a bit of time. After that, I drove more carefully and expected a much worse time than I had (3.7 seconds behind the leader).

For stage 2 I knew the car and the stage type a bit better and felt really confident. I did one crucial mistake tough, missed a corner and went offtrack. Tried to rejoin, but was kinda stuck. 7-8 seconds lost + 8 seconds penalty, but thankfully not much damage. Still a pity, because the time itself would have been quite good enough by my standards.

The mistake was due to a late call by the co-driver, I noticed that in the twisty sections, the calls were often a bit late. For other sections, it was fine. I decided to let him call a bit earlier from now on. Funnily enough, I did mistakes at the same corners as I did before, suggesting that I the pace notes don't quite match my style at times. A bit frustrating, but I am sure I can adapt over time. Still annoys me :D

Stage 4 was my full demise, the tyres were quite bad and at the quick downhill section I was confident to take a R5 flat out, as there was a longer straight coming. Note: I could not. The tyres were too bad at this point, resulting in understeering. On the outside there was this advertisement-arc, which I hit. AS it didn't move a bit and the section was pretty damn quick, I totaled my car at that point.

So, lots of fun, but also many lessons learned. I'm looking forward to upcoming events, hopefully with cleaner runs.

I wish all the iRacers would drive as carefully in the new tempest weather system (which is amazing btw) ;)

As I wrote it was genuinely the first time I was behind the wheel of a car in 1 year. Like, I don't have a drivers license or anything, so I tend to only be behind the wheel of a car when I drive that 6hr race at Mantorp :p
So a couple of fun things there. At 3:40 is the first time I've downshifted a car in 365 days (+/- a few). You can easily see and hear me trying to understand the grip. Much wheel-work and throttle-work. "when does it spin the wheels, understeer etc.". I did pass some cars on the first lap.
4:47 I got my first loose moment, where the back end stepped out a bit, so some steering to the right in left hander. At 5:05 I got a much bigger moment at a bit over 100 km/h, it doesn't look that much bigger, but I do say "Såpass ja!" which is a bit of a surprise exclamation, and it meant something like "oh, that slippery". As it is a flat out kink in the dry.

Soo, ehh. I don't think I actually took it that careful, many others did though :ninja:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 297 34.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 241 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 159 18.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 23 2.7%