rF2 RD500 2009 (rFactor)

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any firm news on the second practice session? Personally I think it should be mandatory attendance or come race day some people are going to be struggling.

I know last night after main practice Bram set it to standing starts for the "manual" formation lap in single file but it was a bit tricky to get going on the banking. That might in turn cause damage when 25 are around but not to worry, I have an idea.

Regardless we are going to have to add 1 lap to the race distance so why not do the formation lap as per normal rolling start but rather than complying with green flag message we just reform into single file on the back stretch and do a manual start when we come around to finish lap 1. I'd rather that than have my suspension broke when someone spins it off the start in standing starts. OK so I had my suspension broke anyway on a formation lap but we'll put that down to first attempt.

As far as yellows are concerned, didn't we manage to do it manually? With the 4 slots free can't we get an admin in to sort out any misdemeanours and throw the yellow when it is really necessary? Perhaps set out a criteria (set number of cars involved, incident on exit of turns) in which a full course yellow is called.

-Edit- With respect to green flag pit stops would it not be better to make everyone pit in before turn 2, descend to the apron on the back straight rather than after turn 2 which seemed to cause a few problems? That way pit in and pit out would be safely contained to the back straight with cars rejoining the track after turn 1 or leaving the track before turn 2. It's a bit of a lottery getting the car slowed down safely after turn 2 and I saw a couple of cars skidding back onto the track into the start/finish bend.

Could someone also please clarify the qualy rules? Is it 4 laps max (an out lap, 2 fliers and an in lap, 4 laps total) or is it 4 flying lap maximum (an out lap, 4 fliers and an in lap, 6 laps total)? And will we be running a closed qualy session? I ask as the race is all about the draft but qualy should be about set up and line not whether you're lucky enough to catch the perfect draft on the back straight.

Oh Ric it sounds like i'm harping but with the normal SCE mod when there is an incident the spotter tells you there is a full couse yellow ....he then tell you to slow daown and whom you should fall in behind ...thereby decreasing the possibiltiy of further incidents.

Last night on RS 2 i was suddenly in 2 and there was nobody infront of me ....... then the text message said i have been driving too slowly so must fall back too the end of the line ....being placed last.I ingnored the instruction and was not penalised where normally i would have got a drive thru or stop/Go

Eh? I wasn't doubting your point. I was just trying to come up with a solution within this mod. It's the same with VHR mate, spotters and the yellow system works just as well as SCE by the sounds of it.

By manually doing the starts we can remedy the shortcomings in the way this mod works at the start. Unless we're going to change mods at this late hour, SCE is irrelevant to the discussion in all but as an example of how it should be done. Which I presume was what you were saying.

Good points in your previous post Richard but yellow flags dont seem to work or i dont have the proper codes...

To be honest i dont miss the full course yellow, especially with 200 laps to drive :)

Fair point, I was just thinking about the race getting bunched back up now and again.

I certainly would prefer the pit transitions being done on the back straight though, better safe than sorry and it would be the same for everyone. I'm easy when it comes to the start procedure, I suppose if it's going to go wrong it will do no matter which way we do it.

I can slow it down too Gareth but I noticed some having trouble and spinning. 1 car came back on track backwards that was trying to pit right into the line into the start/finish bend. I just felt it would be safer for everyone to go in on the back straight. Not my decision at the end of the day and I'll go with what the directors say just offering up my opinion.

What's this about turn 4, I was under the impression there were only 3 turns here? lol, I know what you mean though. I just count them as turn 1, turn2 and the start/finish bend.

turn 1 is the first half of the corner, T2 is the second half. T3 first half of the corner after backstretch, T4 Second half of that corner.
I think they call the S/F bend the tri-oval if im not mistaken.

Dont ask me why but thats the way they do it. :rotfl:

Indeed some do have problems entering pits but all it takes it 3-4 attempts and you should be fine. I guess letting off midcorner to slow a little helps no end aswell.

NOTICE 1: New Starting Procedure (PLEASE READ)

Hello RD 500 drivers,

There has been some last minute change integrated for the starting procedure. To make the start of the race more safely, we decided to do a manual formation lap instead of behind the pace/safety car. This means all cars will be put automatically on the track and when the green flag drops, the leader will start slowly and drive for 1 lap around the track between 100 and 125 km/h. The other drivers will follow the leader slowly in a single file formation. Pay close attention to whom is in front or behind you in position so that you don't take other ones position.
Notice. The leader can begin racing as soon as he passes the pit entry. Also there are no passing allowed until you pass the start/finish line.
Second notice. Pay close attention to the drop of the ingame green flag. It is hard to notice when the has started. You don't want to risk a false start penalty.

We advice all to test offline for how to safely do a standing start (without spinning and or crashing)

Also remember
For qualifying there is a 4 lap limit allowed (excluding the inlap/outlap)

Good luck all,
See you all tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 440 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 273 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 292 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 129 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 172 27.3%
Back