RealSimRacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great race, indeed!

I picked the wrong point in the race to gamble with two tires. It sure did put me in a box with not many options on the final stop.

Still though, it was fun racing with a group of guys who would race hard and clean and we had long, green flag runs to show for it.

Major apologies to Chris L for plowing into you in Turn 5 early on. Lost sight of my brake marker and just completely blew the entry.

Later on in the race I had a complete iRacing freeze up (First race on brand new PC build/need to investigate), managed to reenter but with the delay and the tow ended up 2 laps down. Was lucky to finish where I did.

I think a move toward making the racing better would be lengthen the races. I don't cause a lot of wrecks but I am a poor qualifier. Most of the races are one stop races if it went green. I feel I have to make up spots when I can. Then add 10 yellows into the mix and I'm not sure if I'll have but 20 green flag laps in the second half of the race to gain spots. That being said I let people fast than me go by, while others block for their life on the first run. If you lengthen the races, the cream will rise to the top and even if the first half of the race is mired with yellows, those who struggle to drive around the track by themselves will be weeded out. Leaving the possibility of a good ending. Also possibly reducing the amount of a fuel load would create more chances for green flag stops which will spread drivers out. The cars are the same speed, so unless you're a beast the likes of Chad Cole or Landon Huffman, it's hard to pass. I can't do it, I struggle. I may catch a guy .2 seconds a lap and take 10 laps to set him up for a pass. It tests peoples patience, especially those with little to start with.

I think making the races longer would help and i am very much in favor of seeing this happen but I still see a bigger couple of issues that might need to be considered.

1. Do we have admins that are watching the race or are all the admins trying to drive too? I think we need dedicated admins that can work to make the calls and handle running the race that are removed from any racing or broadcast duties.

2. Do away with the self incrimination version of causing wrecks. I understand the idea and I like the penalties but have the admins assign blame and dish out the penalties. If they can't decide...call it a racing deal and send both drivers to the back. It's too hard from inside the car to tell sometimes. The admins should make the tough calls and be done.

3. Do something about repeat offenders. Not just repeating in the same race but week after week. I havent been running in the series that long, but week after week I see the same names pop up with a "c". Something needs to be done. Park them for a couple races. If someone causes x number of wrecks in a 3 week period, they sit out 2 weeks. I guarantee this would cause some of these repeat offenders to ease up a bit. Seems to me that some of these drivers tend to drive over their heads and with no consequences...cautions happen.

Not mentioning any names here or throwing any stones. But the same people keep causing most of the cautions. We all make mistakes and I've caused a few myself. But I guarantee, if I knew I would be parked if I caused a wreck, I would probably give a little more room.

Just some ideas.

Overall I think this is a fantastic series but the past few weeks have really taken its toll on some of the racers. Guys are getting tired of all the cautions and it's taking away a lot of the fun. I would hate to see us loose some good solid competitors as a result.

1- We have had that since week 3 of the season. Patrick Hahe, myself and occasionally Chris Hie.

2- We had that for the first have of the season but some people complained so we adapted to the current "C" rules. They've worked out ok so far, with a few obvious hiccups, but I think it's been sufficient. Could use some work but all in all it's ok. I'd rather go back to the admin decisions myself, but the current rules serve us ok IMHO.

3- I got nothin for this. While I agree with what you're saying, it would need to be discussed by the admins and I dont think we've ever really discussed that.

Thanks for the quick response Greg. I know I probably would watch my aggressiveness if I knew there were consequences. Without, iR or sR on the line, we almost need something to keep guys in check.

Have the admins kept track of who has caused cautions through the season? I don't think this info should be shared, but it would be interesting to see if there is a trend with anyone.

I've been an admin in other leagues and I don't envy your position here. You guys have a great series. Hope we can help fix some of these caution woes.

I have to agree with most of what Chris said. It has gotten to the point of contemplating looking for another league.

I have to admit I have run in some pretty "premier" leagues in the time I've been involved with sim racing, and in not one of them have the drivers been in control of who caused an accident. I believe if we went to 3 admins who make the call, that would fix some of it. At new Hampshire I honestly had no idea if it was my fault or Jeff's. Jeff took the responsibility for it, but shouldn't have. There should be someone in place to make those calls, not the drivers......we have enough problems simply trying to not run into each other.

I think repeat offenders getting parked is a good idea, it helped clean up the DWC to a certain point, and I would think it would make everyone think twice about sticking a nose in when they know they shouldn't.

I watched the broadcast of new Hampshire and was literally embarrassed to be a part of that. I will sign up and give it another 5 weeks, but if it doesn't get better, might have to start looking elsewhere.

Tonight should be a great race, the fixed setup is awesome, the track lends itself to guys getting spread out and we should have green flag stops.

Good Luck everyone

Patrick keeps a running tally and supplies it to the other admins when we request it. At the least we use it as a reference. We know who the usual offenders are.

Maybe if it's discussed we could release it in a constructive manner, but I wouldn't be for releasing it unless it was to be used as a constructive, useful tool, and not just to point fingers and blame.

I have to agree with most of what Chris said. It has gotten to the point of contemplating looking for another league.

I have to admit I have run in some pretty "premier" leagues in the time I've been involved with sim racing, and in not one of them have the drivers been in control of who caused an accident. I believe if we went to 3 admins who make the call, that would fix some of it. At new Hampshire I honestly had no idea if it was my fault or Jeff's. Jeff took the responsibility for it, but shouldn't have. There should be someone in place to make those calls, not the drivers......we have enough problems simply trying to not run into each other.

I think repeat offenders getting parked is a good idea, it helped clean up the DWC to a certain point, and I would think it would make everyone think twice about sticking a nose in when they know they shouldn't.

I watched the broadcast of new Hampshire and was literally embarrassed to be a part of that. I will sign up and give it another 5 weeks, but if it doesn't get better, might have to start looking elsewhere.

Tonight should be a great race, the fixed setup is awesome, the track lends itself to guys getting spread out and we should have green flag stops.

Good Luck everyone

I just gotta say based on what steve says in one line "There should be someone in place to make these calls"...... We had that. The other drivers (i dont think steve was in on that) crapped all over it and forced us to make a change, saying we shouldnt be allowed to do that and that our judgement isn't always right.

We are only doing what you guys complained about and made us do.

My big thing is that all you guys are saying how embarassed you are to take part in such bad races, and are so angry about all the cautions....but you know whos to blame for that? Not us admins. We work within the constraints that we have.

Its on you guys, all of you, all the drivers.

You want to have better races? Dont race stupid. Dont push issues that arent there. Dont race inches apart from each others fenders when you cant adequately control your car, nor reasonably expect the other driver to do the same. Dont take other drivers 3 wide when some cant even hold 2 wide. The list goes on. A lot if not most of the cautions we have seen/noted as admins isn't because of a "racing deal", though that does happen. It has to do with someone not being in adequate control of their car or putting themselves or other drivers into positions that are not needed/warranted/safe.

The biggest cause of these crappy races isnt a caused caution rule or having 90 admins watching. Its the drivers. YOU guys are the ones that are in power to clean up these races. We shouldnt have to police them, we shouldnt have to enforce rules, we should have the easiest job in the world (just sitting there watching). You drivers are the ones that need to take better care of your stuff, not race dumb, and clean it up.

Any amount of rules we make isn't going to fix things 100%. Will they help? Maybe. But it all falls onto the drivers shoulders, not the admins.

Greg,
This is a good discussion and unfortunately you guys (the admins) have to make the tough calls. I like Steve's idea of 3 admins. That way you have a tie breaker.

Bad calls will be made at times. I would just say do the best you can and we the drivers should have to deal with it. I understand the idea of us making the call but the people in charge shouldn't be afraid to be honest and fair. Make the call...no arguments during the race. We could appeal after its over. I think in most cases you guys would get it correct. You are going to have people pissed either way you go. I would just rather see someone take a stand and make the call. So long as its fair and in the leagues best interest. Bad calls will be made...**** happens. Drivers drive and admins admin. just my 2 cents.

As for the cautions you are 100% correct. The drivers are causing them. As I mentioned earlier, I know I would think twice before driving over my head if there were real consequences. Right now there are none really.

I think Guys numbers are too much personally. I would make it much more strict than that. Cause 3 in 5 races...parked for 1. Let's be honest. There is no reason we should be wrecking all the time. The sets are not hard to drive. Tight yes...uncontrollable? Not remotely. just as you said Greg, we are the ones making bad choices.

Showing the rest of the racers the stats is a bad idea. All that will lead to is throwing stones and fighting. Show or tell an individual his personal stats to help him understand absolutely! I would be willing to bet the repeat offenders don't even know they are a big part of the problem. Keep that info to the management. Use it as needed.

Hang with it guys. This series is good and has serious potential to be fantastic.

I wish I was in town tonight to race. I'll be watching from the other side of the planet. Good luck all!! Anyone wants to sub feel free. #35

Greg - I agree 100% that admins and rules will not fix all the issues. However, I do believe it would help when we really do not know who caused the caution, and the wrong driver is then sent to the back, or worse yet down a lap.

It is in our hands as drivers to clean up the series, the problem is if only 20% decide to "race smarter", and 80% don't, the 20% will pay the price due to being caught up in stuff that was not their fault. Now again, admins can't fix the damage done to cars etc....but admins can watch and see which one's are repeatedly causing issues....and handing out penalties accordingly.

For example, guys that get caught in back and jump the start and cause others to take evasive action that causes a wreck they are not in. The cause of the wreck started because someone jumped the start, however that driver will not be penalized, it will be the guy that tried to avoid him, and hit someone else in the process. This is something admins can do something about.

I be no means want more rules or to through the burden onto guys that are not on the track, that in and of itself will not do anything but piss a lot of people off. I do think that live admins however can see things that if probably monitored could make people think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Watch party

Votes: 1 7.7%