Remove unwanted bumps and bounces with this one weird trick

Shovas

Premium
Edit GameData\Locations\specialfx.tec in an editor like Notepad++ and make this edit under [TRACKVARS]:

RoadBumpAmp=0.000

*See below for many other surface types that have their own artificial bumps

This fix will remove most track surface bumps but there are other track surface types with their own bump definitions (see below) so you may need to go through the file and zero out any others that you don't want.

I noticed Need_For_Speed had done this in his Get Real Physics mod and I liked the feel of the tarmac so I asked him recently and it was easy as you can see.

Car Bounce

The front straight at Magny-Cours is notorious for bouncing cars around and while it may be realistic it doesn't feel exactly good in GTR2.

FFB Effect

This not only removes car bounce but removes the FFB effect from added artificial bumps that are not there in the track geometry. There are still bumps but you will find track surface much smoother. In my case, I find it helps clear up the FFB so I can feel steering forces better.

Miracle Fix for Some Mod Cars

This was a miracle fix for me for a car and track combo that were ported faithfully from rFactor 1 which in GTR2 just felt absolutely terrible (rTrainer at Toban, both at esports racing). The car and track now feel very much like rFactor 1's versions.

Mod Tracks

Some tracks may include their own specialfx.tec in which case you'll have to edit those, too, if you want the changes there. I think this is rare, thankfully.

Other Surface-type Bumps

As you can see in specialfix.tec, there are many other surface types with their own BumpAmp configurations.

You can open specialfx.tec and find lines like this:

// Low Grip Roads
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.95 Wet=0.74 Resistance=0.0 BumpAmp=0.020 BumpWavelen=1.0 Legal=true Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=1.0 Sparks=1 Scraping=1 Sound=dry

Kill The Bumps With Fire

To eliminate all bumps, everywhere, try this regular expression search and replace in an editor like Notepad++:

Find: BumpAmp=[\d\.]+
Replace: BumpAmp=0.000

Tuning

I plan to start by tuning road bumps as some extra bumpiness is appreciated.

I'll leave the extra surfaces alone for now until need to tune them.

gtr2-specialfx-bumpamps.JPG

Last edited:
What a coincidence! This exact past week I was changing CCGEP to log a warning if track .gdb contains RoadBumpLen/RoadBumpAmp and motion system mode is enabled.

Yes, those would affect FFB. But in my case those two settings are super useful. The give motion system and tactile transducers a subtle road texture feel (fake, yes), so that it doesn't feel like driving on a glass. What I do I remove RoadBumpLen/RoadBumpAmp from all tracks and just set this in specialfx.tec:

RoadBumpAmp=0.0035
RoadBumpLen=0.0001

This gives nice road feel in motion and transducers. Of course, how motion and tranducer software is set up matters as well.

Last edited:
Well this gives me something to look forward to for the day I get some kind of motion or shaker setup!

It's very amusing to me how I tuned PLR Steer Vibe to get road feel and all along there's a completely separate way to achieve the same thing and quite likely better suited to purpose.

I love GTR2. It just keeps giving.

Last edited:
Well this gives me something to look forward to for the day I get some kind of motion or shaker setup!

It's very amusing to me how I tuned PLR Steer Vibe to get road feel and all along there's a completely separate way to achieve the same thing and quite likely better suited to purpose.

I love GTR2. It just keeps giving.
Steering Vibe, nice! And, makes sense with FFB only :)

We can discuss more on Discord, but one interesting thing is that in my opinion, biggest bang for the buck is getting 4 full size LFE shakers. Those things are powerful enough to actually move heavy steel frame of my rig. Sure, motion system + shakers (I have 8) is better, but 4 LFEs alone is around 70-80% of the joy if you ask me. One more thing is that I was afraid that motion + shakers is gonna be eternal problems/fiddling, but it isn't. Once dialed settings in I am not touching settings anymore. The only problem is that each game needs individual setup which makes switching games difficult, making me focus on one game primarily.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back