Replacing Faulty G29 - Stick with Logitech or move to Thrustmaster (UK)

Having problems with my G29, currently speaking to Logitech about returns/refunds etc as original retailers were not able to do so.
As I'm going through this process I have been looking at possible "upgrade" options. Currently leaning towards sticking with a Logitech G29 (£160-£180) and possibly upgrading to a TH8A shifter. Other options I've seen are the T300 RS GT (£250-£320) or the T150 RS Pro (£150-£180). The T150 RS wasn't an option until I read a few things saying the T150 RS was better than the G920/G29.
Want to know people's opinions on these wheels and the differences between the belt FFB and gear FFB. I'd also obviously want a H-Shifter and using a T150/T300 means using the TH8A shifter which is a fair cost to add-on but willing to pay if the wheels provide better feelings, etc

i moved from the g29 about a year ago to the thrustmaster t300 with pro pedals and the TH8A shifter, i decided to move up after i found the limitations of the g29, the clunking was starting to become annoying.

i find the thrustmaster is a lot smoother feedback of course feels better, the pedals i would say are not as good as the G29's

i would not go back to a g29 now, i like to option to swap wheels out when i wanna go for a skid on AC or go GT racing.

i would go for the thrustmaster over purchasing another G29. you will appreciate it long term for sure!

Upvote 0
@Billy Mann What issues are you having? Some problems are a relatively quick and easy fix if it's something like double/missed shifts.

I seem to remember Logitech having a 2 year return to base warranty although mine was just over that age when is started to have a problem.

Upvote 0
Sorry to jump on your thread, but I was about to ask a similar question so didn't want to start a new one.

I'm currently in a similar position, looking at buying either a T150 Pro (or TMX) or a T300 (or TX). Not sure if the jump to the T300 will be with worth it for me. Only getting back into it after a long lay off and racing about 4 hours per week. Came from an old Logitech Driving Force Pro so I know anything will be a step up!

Any feedback on differences between the T150 and the T300?

Upvote 0
@Billy Mann What issues are you having? Some problems are a relatively quick and easy fix if it's something like double/missed shifts.

I seem to remember Logitech having a 2 year return to base warranty although mine was just over that age when is started to have a problem.
Both my G27 / G29 lost centre, the first I tried cleaning the optical sensors but it did not work. G29, despite being hall sensors still suffered the same ill fate.

Second hand Thrust master T300 / TS-PC would be my bet. Both mine were second hand and performed flawlessly without knowing the previous owners care or abuse.

Upvote 0
I currently have the G920 setup, coming from the Thrustmaster 458 Italia mid-range. I bought the Thrustmaster 2nd hand, it lasted 5 months so buyer beware applies. I contacted Thrustmaster ( I'm UK based ) and as I had no receipt I'd no warranty. The only thing I could do was send it their repair centre in France at my cost, investigate the problem and if repairable fix, and send back at my cost. I was looking at potentially £200 all in or replace the base for £250. The fact that you have to post to another country just to find out if it's repairable is disappointing. At the time Currys were doing a deal that included shifter for £150. It was a no brainer for me.

The wheel was a touch bigger than the Thrustmaster which I liked. Obviously there's a difference in feel and I occasionally think about going back but right now I think I'll stick with Logitech.

Upvote 0
Thrustmaster,better feel,no loose centering,poor quality control.
Logitech,not as good feel but lasts for a long time
Thrustmaster pedals look shithouse compared to the Logi pedals.

Plus the Thrustmasters cost double the price for a little bit more until the thing breaks down.

Thrustmaster do sell their pedals seperately but just don’t like the design of em,big and goofy like all Thrustmaster products,Logis are perfect for the desk user.

Upvote 0
Thrustmaster,better feel,no loose centering,poor quality control.

There were certainly hardware issues a few years ago but current TM wheels look to be reliable - I've had my T300 for almost 2 years with no problems. Like products from any manufacturer, the odd one will occasionally slip through the system.

Upvote 0
T300 has much lower friction in the drive mechanism, more powerful brushless motor, much higher resolution and is smoother when rotating.

Thanks for the info. Ended up taking the plunge and ordered a T300 Ferrari Alcantara version which arrived yesterday. At first I was a little underwhelmed, but once I got the settings sorted I'm very happy with it. Great feel and can tell what the car is doing through the wheel which is what I was after. Just aware I'll need to make sure I keep on top of the maintenance of the Alcantara

Upvote 0

Sorry for not getting back sooner, have not been receiving notifications for this. It is the double shift/not shifting at all problem you've mentioned.

Have spoken to Logitech etc and it's jsut outside warranty (3 Years for me), I have got a voucher back from Currys equivalent to what it'd be worth whilst keeping the wheel so have got something for the trouble, but fixing the problem would be ideal for now

Upvote 0
i moved from the g29 about a year ago to the thrustmaster t300 with pro pedals and the TH8A shifter, i decided to move up after i found the limitations of the g29, the clunking was starting to become annoying.

i find the thrustmaster is a lot smoother feedback of course feels better, the pedals i would say are not as good as the G29's

i would not go back to a g29 now, i like to option to swap wheels out when i wanna go for a skid on AC or go GT racing.

i would go for the thrustmaster over purchasing another G29. you will appreciate it long term for sure!
Thanks for your input, besides the positives you mentioned, is there anything else you could say about moving to Thrustmaster as you've done the exact thing I'd be doing (Ideally I will get a T300RS GT kit) Any comments on the cooling fan? Temps? etc

Upvote 0
Sorry for not getting back sooner, have not been receiving notifications for this. It is the double shift/not shifting at all problem you've mentioned.

Have spoken to Logitech etc and it's jsut outside warranty (3 Years for me), I have got a voucher back from Currys equivalent to what it'd be worth whilst keeping the wheel so have got something for the trouble, but fixing the problem would be ideal for now

Sounds like a great result :)

I was just outside of the 2 year Logitech warranty and Currys weren't interested in helping out at all when I had the same problem.

Luckily it's an easy fix. I used to get this issue come up every 6 months or so and it is caused but a build up of carbon inside the shifter micro switches.

Follow this guide and I think you'll get it working again:

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great result :)

I was just outside of the 2 year Logitech warranty and Currys weren't interested in helping out at all when I had the same problem.

Luckily it's an easy fix. I used to get this issue come up every 6 months or so and it is caused but a build up of carbon inside the shifter micro switches.

Follow this guide and I think you'll get it working again:
I was fairly happy they offered the £60 fully expecting them to request the wheel to be returned (I wouldn't have done it) but didn't ask for it, and received the voucher a couple days ago. Unfortunately only for use in store when the wheels I'm looking at are online only :(

Thanks for the link to the guide, much appreciated, will have a go over weekend and let you know my progress!

Upvote 0
I was fairly happy they offered the £60 fully expecting them to request the wheel to be returned (I wouldn't have done it) but didn't ask for it, and received the voucher a couple days ago. Unfortunately only for use in store when the wheels I'm looking at are online only :(

Thanks for the link to the guide, much appreciated, will have a go over weekend and let you know my progress!

Shame the voucher is in store only but still a nice bonus if you have a branch near you. They do stock a few Thrustmaster wheels (at least the branch closest to me does) so still a nice little discount if you do end up going down that route.

In the meantime, good luck with the fix. I'm 99.9% sure it will have you back up and running again.

It's quite quick and easy job that takes about 30 minutes or so to do. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver, a very small flat ended screwdriver, an Allen wrench and a small piece of fine sandpaper. Just take your time when you prize off the micro switch side covers as there is a tiny little spring in each one that can fall out.

Upvote 0
Shame the voucher is in store only but still a nice bonus if you have a branch near you. They do stock a few Thrustmaster wheels (at least the branch closest to me does) so still a nice little discount if you do end up going down that route.

In the meantime, good luck with the fix. I'm 99.9% sure it will have you back up and running again.

It's quite quick and easy job that takes about 30 minutes or so to do. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver, a very small flat ended screwdriver, an Allen wrench and a small piece of fine sandpaper. Just take your time when you prize off the micro switch side covers as there is a tiny little spring in each one that can fall out.
Think I have clean the switches successfully, unfortunately I can't test as the PS3/PS4 switch has popped out, and struggling to get it back in

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 425 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 266 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.4%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.4%
Back