rF2: Porsche GT3 Cup Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT3Cup.jpg

Hot on the heels of the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife DLC, Studio 397 have released the lovely Porsche GT3 Cup car for the simulation.

Continuing a growing trend of Porsche cars showing up in sim racing games, Studio 397 have added a new model to the range of vehicles already in the title.. adding the GT3 Cup as a standalone series as part of their weekend of new content releases for the simulation.

Starting the weekend celebrations in style with a laserscanned version of the German Nordschleife circuit on Thursday 26th September, Studio 397 then followed that up with a release for the Porsche GT3 Cup, available now for £4.42 from the rFactor 2 Steam Store page.

Apologies for the late posting, been a bit busy out of country with the SRO E-Sport GT Series grand finale.

So folks, what do you think of this content combination?

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
The default setup is absolute dogshit! The car seems like it has no grip, no downforce, no brakes.
Because it has no significant amount of downforce, that's why braking is worse, than GT3 cars...it's a cup car.
The default brake bias is more rear bias than front! WTF?!
Rear engined car, what do you think, will happen, if you trailbrake a car with almost no hard downforce with all its weight at the rear, especially with less fuel, if the front brakes are too strong? It could surprise you, how much rear end brakes you are able to set up for rear engined cars in different configurations.^^ (Also every sim uses different values of brake bias, to come on similar results, this is a thing of trial&error)

Last edited:
Nurburgring DLC is just stunning and build quality of Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Car has been far beyond my expectation. Probably the best interpretation of this car's character right now. This combo gives us very tough challenge.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough words and grammatical ability to express this amazing track and machine, so I leave the details to other members, and I just praise great work of S397.
However, the improvement of the SIM racing world should not stop yet. I expect that such high-quality content will be released by other developers.
So, Forza Kunos.
Vamos Reiza.
Never give up, Simbin.
And SMS, please stay on your own way. We are all looking forward to your tweet as much as your actual product.

Because it has no significant amount of downforce, that's why braking is worse, than GT3 cars...it's a cup car.

Rear engined car, what do you think, will happen, if you trailbrake a car with almost no hard downforce with all its weight at the rear, especially with less fuel, if the front brakes are too strong? It could surprise you, how much rear end brakes you are able to set up for rear engined cars in different configurations.^^ (Also every sim uses different values of brake bias, to come on similar results, this is a thing of trial&error)

Love the car, but keep misjudging my initial braking point.
She’s fast enough, but she doesn’t want to stop... :mad:

Very rewarding and a great dual release with Nürburgring.
It is a lot easier to handle on Le Mans.

Last edited:
Sure, someone could argue, that the pricepoint is very steep...but when i think of flightsimming in comparison, buying one plane with several liveries, even if it is a very basic one, without many systems and complexity, but modeled well and with some research done for the physics part, you will get a very different (higher) price tag...believe me. Sim Racers are still somewhat lucky, when it comes to add-on prices.

These cars require licensing, workload and knowledge. Nothing comes for free, if you want official content or really in dept developed mods/add-ons.

Still better than cosmetic, or even game-balance-changing microtransactions, in my eyes.

I fancied firing up FSX after years of not playing it and getting a good Vickers VC10, Just flights is £42!

At least one the Nordschleife, the default setup is undriveable with -5° Camber. We talked about this in the other tread.

On tracks, where you don't ride the curbs, you will not get heat into the tires. Lowering the negative camber makes it a lot easier to drive and a lot faster on such tracks.

I have many, many hours in the Flat 6 mod car and been absolutely hanging for this car to come for real.
After reading everyone's thoughts on the S397 forum I wasn't sure if I needed to buy it or just stick with the Flat 6. I caved amd bought it along with Nordschleife. This car is an absolute blast, drives (imo) rather similar to the Flat 6 but with a lot more oversteer and a lot more fine corrections need to be made.
I love doing my race then going back and watching the replay, all those corrections, it's amazing to watch.
What needs improvement is the sound in between gear changes, the rest can stay! I'm in love with it.
Flat 6 is a sequential box though, which I prefer (you have to blip the throttle on downshifts). I was surprised the latest GT3 cup had paddle shifters.

One observation on the look of the car. Having seen many porsche cup races in my time, including just last Saturday. One thing I don't think any version of this car has ever got completely right is how mean these cars look in real life. They are aggressive looking and low to the ground, something about the sim versions just look softer and more like a road car.

I dunno. Probably just me.

The best version for "me" is on iRacing.
The Assetto Corsa version is just as good.
Automobilista did a great job with there version and I hope its in AM2 licensed.

The rFactor 2 version seems to me a little rushed and I cant get a feel for it.
It looks stunning and sounds good.
Hopefully I find a way to get this car around a track in a descent time :)

I've tested the R3E Cup and rF2 Cup in comparison, the R3E one seems to have slightly more grip and the rF2 one slightly less steering angle (not steering lock), but with similar setups, these cars are astoundingly equal, when it comes to behaviour under load, braking and cornering...i can drive both cars with pretty much the same inputs. So it almost seems to me, Porsche delivers a quite detailed package for Sim Devs to work with.^^

At least one the Nordschleife, the default setup is undriveable with -5° Camber. We talked about this in the other tread.

On tracks, where you don't ride the curbs, you will not get heat into the tires. Lowering the negative camber makes it a lot easier to drive and a lot faster on such tracks.

I get the car around the Ring properly. In my opinion it s not a question of riding curbs, it s the question how to take corners to get enough heat in the tyres.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 98 71.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 28 20.4%