Votes: 11 5.3%

Votes: 23 11.1%

Votes: 22 10.6%

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • No Way !!!!

Votes: 69 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Deleted member 1449502

I am actually having a blast with in ACC on monitor with DLAA. Experience none of the issues you described and good 100fps average, sun, night, or rain. Best and most realistic looking racing game in my library at the moment.
I am honestly super skeptical Kunos will be able to pull own engine trick these days, wouldn't be too surprised if it's going to be "Oops we did UE again", but we'll see, it's just speculation at this point. I honestly wouldn't mind at all, but I understand VR users grief.
you don't have shadow crawling in ACC? or ghosting with dlss/dlaa?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Oops we did UE again"
I don't think so: https://traxion.gg/why-assetto-corsa-2-will-use-a-brand-new-game-engine/

Experience none of the issues you described
Everyone has shadow pop-in and the non adjustable mirrors. On monitors you don't see the blur/ghosting as much as in VR but it's still always there, there is no ghosting/blur free DLAA/TAA/DLSS. Maybe you're not sensitive to it, that's possible but it's always there.

• Deleted member 197115

you don't have shadow crawling in ACC? or ghosting with dlss/dlaa?
It's DLAA, not DLSS, nope, no crawling, at least I cannot notice in cockpit view, all on Epic, using latest version of DLSS dll (3.1.13)

It's DLAA, not DLSS, nope, no crawling, at least I cannot notice in cockpit view, all on Epic, using latest version of DLSS dll (3.1.13)
I also tested DLAA extensively including all recent dll versions. The blur/ghosting artifacts is reduced for sure but clearly not eliminated. On regular screens it's way less visible than in VR. Maybe they can reduce it further in the future, I hope so because in its current state it's still not good enough. You probably got used to the shadow crawling, it's super distracting to me even on epic settings (which gives a huge performance drop, quality and distance on epic and even with that it keeps crawling..). But yes screens are always so much smaller than VR, so that such issues become a smaller problem than in VR but I even see the shadow crawling/pop in YouTube videos of ACC...

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

This is Samsung G9 5120x1440, not sure what is smaller there, pixel density should be higher than VR. Plus temporal AA for single pass rendering versus two passes stereo overlapped after the fact makes huge difference.
Off the bat I do not see any shadows crawling or ghosting when driving in cockpit view.
I am sure with magnifying glass and paying extremely close attention to what is going on at 100+ mph, may be I'll spot something, but then I'll probably crash. :roflmao:
One thing for sure, it looks tons better than AMS2.

• Deleted member 1449502

I have a 4090 with a Samsung G9 ultrawide @ 5120/1440 with epic settings, the blur/ghosting is very obvious to me even at 125% res scale, but maybe at a higher res on a smaller screen it doesn't stand out as much, or perhaps you're just not sensitive to it . By shadow crawl I mean the shadows are rendering visibly infront of the car along barriers/track.

I wasted a lot of time trying to find a fix to shadow crawl. I edited engine.ini, even applying a nolimit to vram so it uses almost all of the video memory on my 4090, but nothing solved it. Once you see it, it's very hard to overlook, it kills immersion for me to to the point where I would either turn shadows off completely or run overcast conditions where shadows were not rendered all that much

• Deleted member 197115

Ghosting is temporal AA artefact, I have virtually zero with DLAA and latest DLSS, even in replays chase view, using default preset C which is better for fast pacing games and all sharpening off, as they all create some artifacting.
With 4090, you can easily go with 2xDLDSR and gain more distance clarity.
I've used it before, but with 3080Ti found DLAA yielding virtually same image quality with healthy FPS boost.
You can download latest DLSS from link.
If interested, my graphics preset attached, may be something there is different from yours. If playing with DLAA make sure to enable console, so you can see if it's actually activated, otherwise it's just standard DLSS, no errors or any other indications.
Jump to linked ACC forum thread if have more questions or need help.

Attachments

• SCREEN_EPIC_DLSS.json
    1.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Deleted member 1449502

Stefano Casillo was the lead developer for Kunos for 15yrs up until recently and was once asked about shadows and pop in on the forums. it's an unfortunate limitation of the engine

"the one and only technique available for "sun shadows" right now is CSM (cascade shadow mapping).. and that's what everybody uses.
The idea is to divide the visible scene in a series of shadow map to cover it. Because different part of the scene will be covered by a different shadow map, and that shadow map has to cover more and more space the more far is from the camera there will be a change in shadow resolution between different "cascades".

The best thing engine can do is to make this transition as smooth as possible without wasting pixels (overlapping portions of shadow maps are a "waste").. UE4 is pretty exceptional in this but it can't cure the worst possible scenario with the guard-rails and the shadow that is "following" the camera.. it's definitely waaaay smoother than AC1 (that used 3 cascades and no smoothing/overlap) but the difference is so big that it's impossible to ignore.

The other problem that we see in ACC is trees.. and it has nothing to do with CSM shadowing per-se and more to do with the fact that in order to have full blown 3D trees these also need to be heavily lodded (switched to a lower resolution model) in the distance or the framerate will crawl to a stop.
The "shadow popping" we see is simply trees going from a lod where the leaves were not actual 3D triangles to a more detailed one with 3D leaves and branches.. because of this now there are lots of shadows where before there was none (because the tree was a simplified version with few triangles)."

• Deleted member 1449502

Ghosting is temporal AA artefact, I have virtually zero with DLAA and latest DLSS, even in replays chase view, using default preset C which is better for fast pacing games and all sharpening off, as they all create some artifacting.
I've used it before, but with 3080Ti found DLAA yielding virtually same image quality with healthy FPS boost.
If interested, my graphics preset attached, may be something there is different from yours. If playing with DLAA make sure to enable console, so you can see if it's actually activated, otherwise it's just standard DLSS, no errors or any other indications.
thanks, I'll check it out

Will give it another try, thanks!

This is Samsung G9 5120x1440, not sure what is smaller there, pixel density should be higher than VR. Plus temporal AA for single pass rendering versus two passes stereo overlapped after the fact makes huge difference.
Off the bat I do not see any shadows crawling or ghosting when driving in cockpit view.
I am sure with magnifying glass and paying extremely close attention to what is going on at 100+ mph, may be I'll spot something, but then I'll probably crash. :roflmao:
One thing for sure, it looks tons better than AMS2.
You don't have that Samsung G9 screen as close to your eyes as I have my VR HMD to my eyes I hope? :roflmao: VR is always bigger than a monitor.

Subjective what looks better, I don't agree, AMS2 looks to me way better than ACC. But that's in VR. All the mentioned issues that I mentioned above here are the cause of this plus the way ACC's shaders/color choices are made, ACC simply looks more/over polished but less natural/realistic.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1449502

You don't have that Samsung G9 screen as close to your eyes as I have my VR HMD to my eyes I hope? :roflmao: VR is always bigger than a monitor.

Subjective what looks better, I don't agree, AMS2 looks to me way better than ACC. But that's in VR. All the mentioned issues that I mentioned above here are the cause of this plus the way ACC's shaders/color choices are made, ACC simply looks more/over polished but less natural/realistic.
I agree AMS2 graphically is the standout amongst all the sims. Still not without it's issues however as the AA solutions provided can't overcome the shimmering/jaggies with shadows and fence lines.

Most sim racers have graphics pretty low on their list of priorities for their sim of choice, unfortunately I value looks just as much as personality...sometimes more

• Deleted member 197115

Pixel density or PPD is higher with monitor, with VR you have higher FOV and PPD is lower, so it is essentially like playing on lower res monitor at close distance. Yes, we are talking the same thing.

Tried all this(latest DLL + DLSStweaks + DLAA + C + tried almost all other possible settings), same bad results. Massive ghostingtrails everywhere when driving. Standing in the grid, not moving the car, looks good but once you start driving there's a black trail on everything. It looks horrible in VR, not usable, nothing has changed over time.

• Deleted member 197115

Tried all this(latest DLL + DLSStweaks + DLAA + C + tried almost all other possible settings), same bad results. Massive ghostingtrails everywhere when driving. Standing in the grid, not moving the car, looks good but once you start driving there's a black trail on everything. It looks horrible in VR, not usable, nothing has changed over time.
Sorry to hear that. Absolutely no trailing or ghosting on G9. With HDR it's just one bellissimo eye candy, nothing on the market can touch it. :inlove:
VR is a culprit, not the engine, it just doesn't like temporal AA and considering that industry is moving away from MSAA, the VR future in the new titles might look quite bleak.
Have you run regedit tweak to enable NvidiaSigOverride, btw? DLAA won't initialize otherwise.

Sorry to hear that. Absolutely no trailing or ghosting on G9. With HDR it's just one bellissimo eye candy, nothing on the market can touch it. :inlove:
VR is a culprit, not the engine, it just doesn't like temporal AA and considering that industry is moving away from MSAA, the VR future in the new titles might look quite bleak.
Have you run regedit tweak to enable NvidiaSigOverride, btw? DLAA won't initialize otherwise.
Yes I run the reg too. The combination of 5090 + TAA gen 5 + higher pixel density than is possible now + improved anti aliasing algorithms could maybe solve it. It simply asks to much GPU power currently to come even close to the sharpness of AMS2. We will see, AMS2 is not in the end of it's development and is still MSAA, DR2 is still MSAA I have hope that WRC23 will be too, AC2 will move to a new/own engine hopefully with MSAA too and the new LeMans game is already announced with VR/MSAA so it's not the end for sure.. If not then the above(5090 + TAA gen 5 + higher pixel density than is possible now + improved anti aliasing algorithms) is probably coming pretty close to the current MSAA 4090 experience in VR.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Then there is AC, except that overzealous modding completely ruined the game.
Too many broken in forever progress irrelevant things and bad taste in mouth patreon monetization made me stop playing it. Reiza will jump ship AMS2 in the very near future, the title is just not popular to bring any serious revenue, new partnership with Ian Bell might actually save them from going under.
AC2, it's such a mythical title, we don't even know what it will be about, and in house engine matching modern gaming industry visual standards sounds like a pipe dream. It's not 2014 when AC looked like beauty pageant queen comparing to others.

Thanks for all your posts about this!
I'd like to switch my dlss to dlaa and use your preset.
Could you write down, in very very short words, the order of what to do?
I'm somehow not sure what to do in what order and would have to dig through your longer texts and Google results etc.
A little:
1. Techpowerup Download dlss
2. Download dlss patcher
3. Select dlaa
4. Run regedit thingy
5. Put my preset in ACC appdata folder

Would be much appreciated!
I know it's a "please invest a bit of time so I don't have to invest more time" question, but maybe I've earnt something like it once in a while :poop::barefoot:

• Deleted member 197115

Latest DLSS
- Download DLSS 3.1.13
- Replace original dlss dll in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Plugins\DLSS\Binaries\ThirdParty\Win64
DLSS Tweaks
- Go to Nexus mods and download the latest DLSSTweaks
(remove spaces https://www. nexus mods.com /site/mods/550?tab=files)
- Run EnableNvidiaSigOverride.reg from DLSSTweak archive
- Copy nvngx.dll and dlsstweaks.ini to AC binaries folder
- Open dlsstweaks.ini in the text editor, it has full instructions inside on what to do depending on the desired outcome.
My settings:
ForceDLAA = true
OverrideDlssHud = 1 (you can set it back to 0 once verified that DLAA works)
I do not touch DLSSPreset as it's already C for DLAA by default, but you can force it in [DLSSPresets] section, instruction in ACC thread calls for F for DLAA, but I have found it too blurry.
Attaching my file just in case
Custom Graphics Preset
- Copy attached SCREEN_EPIC_DLSS.json to Users\<your name>\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Customs\VideoSettings
- Start the game, go to video settings, load this preset, click Apply
Verification
- Check what settings are used by DLSSTweaks, DLSS Hud should be in the lower left corner.
- In case of issue there is dlsstweaks.log file in ACC Binaries folder, check it out
Extra
You can also use DLSSTweaks for custom resolution DLSS, for instance you can set Quality preset to 0.77 matching Ultra Quality (not available by default), set ForceDLAA to false and enjoy better performance with higher starting DLSS resolution.

Hope that helps and not too confusing.

P.S. One more thing to mention, DLSS v2.5.1 and later versions removed sharpening from DLSS (you cannot control it via in game settings, use sharpening available in NV control panel instead) or just use in game Advanced Sharpening.

Attachments

• dlsstweaks.ini
    10.2 KB · Views: 36
  • SCREEN_EPIC_DLSS.json
    1.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Deleted member 197115

And if you have any steam left in your GPU, pair this with DLDSR for extra clarity. :inlove:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 3 2.1%