rF2 S397 GT3 @ Paul Ricard - Friday 03 May 2019

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I'm not Rasmus, but I'm sure you've seen the description/warning in the .json file:

Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)

So then I guess it would depend on how much memory had? ..I would also assume when it had used all your memory you would be getting freeze ups?

So then I guess it would depend on how much memory had? ..I would also assume when it had used all your memory you would be getting freeze ups?
I wouldn't expect it to be all that straightforward, memory usage and management are not simple things, plus it might depend on your specific setup/config (beyond just the amount of memory).

But based on that note, I would certainly not consider the setting as something you'd want to have turned on all the time. I'd approach it as a diagnostic option only in case you are indeed getting issues, and if it turned out it did solve something, I'd try to use other means of solving the problem (like possibly moving the replay folder to a different drive or something like that).

If it reduces stuttering then you have the provlem of either the cpu or the disk not being able to keep up.
Different drive or going from hdd to ssd or killing background stuff that uses the disks might help.
I'm not sure if I have it set or not. I never ever had rF2 crashing on me so I'm gonna have a look at my json!
There are 3 possibilities of issues that come to my mind:
1. Running out of ram
2. The game failing to allocate the massive memory usage correctly
3. The overhead of using all the memory correctly actually decreasing performance

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the setting being dangerous. I don't see a problem with rF2, if used in 64 bit, using lots amounts of memory. Never seen a program crashing due to memory usage (only if it's not enough memory).
But then Martin knows more about this stuff :)

@RasmusP Well I didn't really call it dangerous ;) But I'd expect they had their reasons to not set it on by default, and, as mentioned, the memory management is a fairly complicated thing (that I in no way would say I fully understand), so that's why I would consider this just a short term thing that might point out to some larger issues that need solving, not a real solution in itself.

Their reason might be that it's overlooked and outdated from the 32 bit version that couldn't use enough memory :whistling::p
Just kidding ofc, no idea why it's like this but might have a reason for sure!

Anyway, I checked my json: I have it set to true since... no idea when I changed it. Must have been a long time ago, never crashed.
16 GB 2133 MHz DDR3 over here if that makes any difference :)

For what it's worth, mine has been on true for a week with no issues at all, no stuttering ect.
My specs are not fantastic and its silky smooth!
I5 3570k
Asus strix Rog 1060 6gb
8gb RIP jaws ram

No need to stress, this is a common problem sometimes. Basically Steam has not updated your cars with th latest update, so you have to force steam to update ...yes it is hassle but sadly does happen quite often.

All Drivers:
Updates are coming out almost daily/weekly and for some Steam is not updating you with the new update, this is nothing to worry about and is a fairly common issue that is easily fixed.

So if you can not connect to our server? carry on reading..

Basically we have to force Steam to update our cars to match what is on our server. Make sure FR2 is not running.
  • Go to your steam inventory
  • Click on the car you want to Unsubscribe from
  • Click view workshop item
  • Now Unsubscribe from the car
  • Do that for every car in the GT3 Packs
  • Now Subscribed again to all the GT3 cars
Now fire up RF2 and it now should force steam to update the GT3 packs :thumbsup:

This fix will normally fix 99% of problems, if it does not, than you may have a more serious issue and you would be best advised to post you problem at the S397 support forum, where I am sure you will be given professional advice on how to solve your problem.
Hello! I'm having the same issue, I follow and did all this steps but the game still's saying "package not available". I think its something with the track mod...

Any idea??

Check the Packages screen in the launcher and make sure the Packages folder listed at the bottom actually exists and the path is correct.

The link in the thread for the track is to the version 1.05, but when I try to join the server the game tries to download the "RD_S397_GT3_PaulRicard_v11.rfmod" version. Don't know where to find that mod

The track we are using is the track the link takes you to "Circuit Paul Ricard v1.05" delete anything related to the Paul Ricard in your packages folder.

Last edited:
Well, I uninstalled and deleted the race mod (S397 GT3 @ Paul Ricard) which I had installed from practicing earlier during the week (and it was working fine before), and now I also get the "Package not available" when I try to join the server ;)

And it also seems to have issues with downloading the file Daniel mentioned, which I believe is exactly that small race mod file that contains descriptions and specifications of the race.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 22 9.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 4 1.7%