Season 9 - General Discussion

270 degrees is plenty for F1, i use 14-16 steering lock.. There is calculators but just enough to make thru the tightest corner.

Then try to adjust the FFB values in your controlset. Create a backup of your current one, then dive in to the file. http://cream.galleria.fi/SRS/Misc/FFB+guide+v1_0+by+juls.zip there are instructions to finetune. Do that later, steering lock first. FFB finetune will help a lot in the consistency area, not so much in speed.

273 steering lock for most of my racing games, steerling lock is always between 13 and 16.5 :) all depends on the track!

i would be up for some season test racing to let us "newbies" get use to the driving style from you fellas, i that that is the main concern from us, how you guy's drive so none of us will predict a move from a fellow driver and get it completely wrong resulting in a crash!

i only go for moves on wide corners or down the straight, anything else your likely to scratch my paint work, something which i won't be happen about :sneaky:

I see David and Sean are planning a race at Valencia Street on Wednesday. Although it fits perfect with the real f1 calendar it might not be the perfect choice for "new" drivers for the following reasons:

-Valencia Street is not on the Season 9 calendar (I think)
-It is a relatively time consuming track to learn/master

If I am to join that race and not make a fool of myself I'll probably need to prepare for 2 hours or so (but then I will be much slower than the likes of David and Sean).

So what am I saying? That I suggest that the next practice/fun race (after Valencia) we pick Hungaroring, Spa or Monza (first 3 rounds in calendar) which are tracks that we recommend new drivers practicing at in the first place :)

For the Valencia Street race next week, perhaps a signup thread would be appropriate? I would suggest/recommend a 2x10 lap race format as I assume it will not be a crowded race (10 drivers with a large spread in pace and consistency does not work well with a full length race).

I see David and Sean are planning a race at Valencia Street on Wednesday. Although it fits perfect with the real f1 calendar it might not be the perfect choice for "new" drivers for the following reasons:

-Valencia Street is not on the Season 9 calendar (I think)
-It is a relatively time consuming track to learn/master

If I am to join that race and not make a fool of myself I'll probably need to prepare for 2 hours or so (but then I will be much slower than the likes of David and Sean).

So what am I saying? That I suggest that the next practice/fun race (after Valencia) we pick Hungaroring, Spa or Monza (first 3 rounds in calendar) which are tracks that we recommend new drivers practicing at in the first place :)

For the Valencia Street race next week, perhaps a signup thread would be appropriate? I would suggest/recommend a 2x10 lap race format as I assume it will not be a crowded race (10 drivers with a large spread in pace and consistency does not work well with a full length race).

I spent 2 hours last night trying to learn the track and was getting nowhere. So jumped in a mini and had it sorted after 3 laps, brake points and everything. Now it's just a case of getting used to the speed difference lol.

Any, and as many, tracks you want will do for me, I don't mind making a fool of myself, but I would hate to ruin someone elses race due to inexperience. Practice is all well and good but actually racing someone is the only way to get used to not running into someones back end.

what about workin backwards in preparation for the new season then?

practise race 1 = monza
practise race 2 = spa
practise race 3 = hungaroring

that way we'd have hungaroring practise the week or two before the actual season start and would help everyone be ready for the first race, also gives folk a chance to learn spa and monza well before the events too. obviously starting with monza because its the easier of them to learn.

Reik this track looks like so much fun even if its not close to real F1, I'd love to race there.

And Sean, I was actually thinking about doing the rule video as well as long as Im in that video creating flow and then I will just do a very crappy graphic :D
(btw, I like your weird nickname for me :laugh: )

Very nice Reik :thumbsup: are these hill climbs with race on ?

Thx Sean. The hill climb format came with one of the latest expansions (Retro I think) and was updated into anyones steam version.

This track called "Casalmartino Hill Climb" I found some days ago at nogrip (http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=35853). Looks like it's created to use the Simbin hillclimb format.

Reik this track looks like so much fun even if its not close to real F1, I'd love to race there.

It was a little hard to get used to the track but once you have the flow from start to finish it's very much fun to start fine tuning your line and style through the combinations. (Took me an hour or so) I could upload the setup(?).

btw: thx for your excellent video works!!!

Anthony, your lap looks very, very well driven - clean and smooth. Cicada is very difficult and challenging. The movements in your replay somehow look smoother than mine so I wonder if I could adjust something in my PLR-file. Would you like to send me yours via E-Mail so I could compare it to my one? (no hurry needed and thx in advance)

For those who think I am a bit slow with the vote and all that, i am comming to that soon. I am letting the open discussion end on it's own momentum before I boil out those undecided questions in need of a vote. (that and being a bit lazy as well). Also, this allows everybodt time to get to know the tracks a little better, through video, reading and driving, before casting the vote.

As it looks now we will be voting on:
-tracks
-date of last race (19th vs. 12th)
-5 min super pole vs. 6 min open qual
-Pit speed limit vs. no pit speed limit.

am I forgetting anything?

EDIT: It is a good think for people to argue for what they think before the vote. E.g. the date of the last race, usually I would vote for 19th of December, but as Tim have said that's tricky for him, I consider voting 5th instead, However, if someone else sais that 12th doesn't work for them I am probably back on the 19th again. The more arguements the better.

An other example is what Jim said about our experiences on A1, that post alone made a1 a track that will score high on my voting card.

So if you have any thoughts on the stuff we are voting on, please share it so that we all have an even better fundament when we vote.

btw: thx for your excellent video works!!!
Youre welcome Reik :) it has been a lot of fun and I learned something about editing as well, so as soon as the calendar and race format is set in stone (I hope very soon) I'll do a rule video.
Ive also thought about doing some kind of a track/driver presentation video but we'll see about that when the time is right.

I'd like to try your setup for this track Reik :) maybe just add it to your setup post in the setup thread.

btw it would be nice if some of our aliens here like Sean or Tim (and all the other drivers as well of course) could also start to post setups in the setup thread so that it looks a bit more lively :)
Just making a post in thread would be enough for the beginning, you can add setups over time.

Anthony, your lap looks very, very well driven - clean and smooth. Cicada is very difficult and challenging. The movements in your replay somehow look smoother than mine so I wonder if I could adjust something in my PLR-file. Would you like to send me yours via E-Mail so I could compare it to my one? (no hurry needed and thx in advance)

Thanks Reik, and thanks to your Spa 2004 setup :)..

I have sent the file to your e-mail.

I loved this track from the first moment i tried it, it is challenging as u said and a bit bumpy and felt like a combination of Spa/Glen and Istanbul, would be great if it could be included for next season, i believe we could have lots of fun there with some fast / slow tricky turns that would provide many overtaking opportunities.. What is this track? An old f1 track or something?

Other Tracks tested:

- I tried Dijon but could not find anything special about it (sorry) .

- Paul Ricard is another good track, would take a bit more time to memorise the racing line with the blue colour covering the track almost everywhere.

- Did couple of laps on Estoril , very nice track and technically demanding, couple of unusual turns where easy to spin the car or miss the turn in line .

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 463 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 305 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 179 27.1%
Back