sensible CPU Upgrade (AM4)

stigs2cousin

Premium
Hy all,

as already mentioned in the title I´m thinking about upgrading my CPU.

Game is Asseto Corsa, triple LG 1080p IPS monitors.

Some weeks ago I caved and bought a 3080 and now I can get 160-190 FPS with glorious visuals. But only on hotlaps, the second I add AI the FPS take a dive, with 24 AI at Seattle as bad as 70FPS

CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600x which shows with 4100 Mhz PBO enabled on a TUF B450.

If i could gain some FPS with a CPU upgrade on the same motherboard I´d contemplate it but i have no idea which CPU would be a sensible upgrade and not a 500€ investment for 10FPS.

A 5600x can be had for 250€ at the moment but a short Youtube search found only negligeable improvements with that swap.

The PC does only simracing so no other requirements for a CPU.

Thanks for your opnions Carsten

ÄH, thats a "sensible" upgrade on a nearly obsolete platform??:cautious:

This thing costs 559€ locally
Well the performance jump would be better than any 5xxx series Ryzen, even compared to the non-3d version there is quite a jump...
5800x3dacc.png

A 5800X3D may be sensible if you intend to keep the platform for another generation or two. The extra cache, in my opinion, would make it a good "long term" cpu but at £430 Uk I see your concerns.

The sensible option Stigs2cousin would be to go for the non X 5600 as it's the best value choice, but only if you can resell the 3600x. You'll see uplift but not £190 at uk prices worth of uplift.

As well as AM5, Intel also have interesting things on the horizon so sitting on what you have and keep saving may also be the way to go.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks everybody.

If I were to spend the money for a 5800X3d, does it even make sense on a TUF B450 MoBo??

(This is the first time I start wrenching on my ( first) PC so please humor me.)

If an upgrade MoBo would also be necessary on a dying platform that wouldn´t make much sense, would it??

Last edited:
Your B450 would be fine provided you update the Bios first.

The thing is at that price, or a little more depending on pricing, you may be able to pick up the AM5 equivalent of your 3600X/B450 combo that will possibly beat a 5800X3D and give you a future upgrade path.

Obviously it's like second guessing the future but it's worth consideration.

In my latest monthly IT bible PCGH they have compared the 2 top CPUs from AMD and Intel.
5800X3D vs i9-12900KS.
Conclusion:
5800X3D: +Fastest gaming-CPU, -Normal programs
i9-12900KS: +Unbelievable fast-CPU, -Unbelievable inefficient-CPU

My absolutely unqualified guess is that AMD is working on launching some more high end xxxx3d CPUs.
Because it looks like this special piggy back tech gives an allready fast CPU something extra :D

After doing some more research ( thanks to Steve from GamersNexus) I found out that the 5600x is more energy efficient than the 3600x and that of course sealed the deal for me ;)

So it´s the 15w less and not the expected 50FPS more that made me order an R5 5600x :rolleyes:.

It´s already a want have and not a must have upgrade, so let´s see how it goes.

Quick follow up question:

ASUS calls the newest BIOS update for the TUF B450 a "beta" is that a problem and should I go with an older version that is supposed to work with the 5600x??

Thanks to all Carsten

Last edited:
Do you feel lucky?
The Version 3802 "description" does not mention any improvements, just risk...
Were it I, Version 3604 describes improved system performance and stability,
which seems worthwhile.
Only if that version causes issues would I check AMD BIOS-related fora
for info on other versions that addressed those issues.
My experience with firmware and drivers has been that unnecessary updating is borrowing trouble.

Last edited:
After doing some more research ( thanks to Steve from GamersNexus) I found out that the 5600x is more energy efficient than the 3600x and that of course sealed the deal for me ;)

So it´s the 15w less and not the expected 50FPS more that made me order an R5 5600x :rolleyes:.

It´s already a want have and not a mus thave upgrade, so let´s see how it goes.

Quick follow up question:

ASUS calls the newest BIOS update for the TUF B450 a "beta" is that a problem and should I go with an older version that is supposed to work with the 5600x??

Thanks to all Carsten
Smart choice!
As to the beta BIOS.... most of the 'new' ones allowing support of later Ryzens on those earlier AMD boards are new and not an issue.
I use the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and the last BIOS has been beta for months....not a single issue.
You'll love that 5600X.
I too, came from a 3600X to the 5600X and the increase in performance was quite noticeable.

I was actually considering upgrading my sim racing pc as well. It seems DDR5 capable mobos are slated to come out later this year. Ram speeds are nearly doubled so you may be best suited to wait for that so you can enjoy the fruits of both upgrades.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%