Share your VR graphic settings

• Deleted member 197115

@Andrew_WOT
I tried your 3 files from a page back but it was too much for my system to handle so I started low and worked my way up.
Two things hopefully you could help me with.
Which file or how do I remove the orange text giving me system info as I use vrFPS.

I am currently using a mixture of med/high settings 70% resolution 140%ss in SteamVR and have 10-20% over head room with 20ai running my WMR @ 60hrz.
What settings would improve opponents cars visuals?
When literally on there bumper the cars look decent but once they get 2 car widths away they terrible, smeared, no under shadows which make it look like they are floating.

Cheers
hud.json
"fPSVisible": 0,

I suggest to just stick with the recommended settings, including 100% SteamVR SS (make sure reprojection is DISABLED) and tune for your system using in game pixel density, it's is maxed out in provided files, just work it down.
If you still can't meet target fps with lowered pixel density, start lowering resolution, it is 70% in provided files, I think even at 60% it shouldn't look that bad.

Opponent cars details are Cars LOD settings.

@Andrew_WOT
I tried your 3 files from a page back but it was too much for my system to handle so I started low and worked my way up.
Two things hopefully you could help me with.
Which file or how do I remove the orange text giving me system info as I use vrFPS.

I am currently using a mixture of med/high settings 70% resolution 140%ss in SteamVR and have 10-20% over head room with 20ai running my WMR @ 60hrz.
What settings would improve opponents cars visuals?
When literally on there bumper the cars look decent but once they get 2 car widths away they terrible, smeared, no under shadows which make it look like they are floating.

Cheers

Those are usually a combination of vehicle LODs and shadow quality/distance. To get rid of the floating cars shadows need to be at least high and distance mid.

BTW I ended up getting rid of most engine.ini settings as they didn't seem to have an effect on performance (or at least not significant enough to make a difference) except for:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6 (although I still can't see any difference 4 to 6)
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.06
r.Color.Mid=0.6

I will share my latest settings later, but I did go resolution 80% and pixel density 185 as it seems to be the best balance between a sharp yet very clean image (resolution 70% and PD 200 looks too sharp and messy).

Thanks Andrew, will investigate further. As a quick check, I renamed my 'mydocuments' acc folder and still same problem. Will check appdata next after I've given way to my son who wants to play Kerbal after school!

Not using any DX12 hacks either.

• Deleted member 197115

BTW I ended up getting rid of most engine.ini settings as they didn't seem to have an effect on performance (or at least not significant enough to make a difference) except for:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6 (although I still can't see any difference 4 to 6)
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.06
r.Color.Mid=0.6

I will share my latest settings later, but I did go resolution 80% and pixel density 185 as it seems to be the best balance between a sharp yet very clean image (resolution 70% and PD 200 looks too sharp and messy).
r.Streaming.xxx vars are mostly for quality, not performance.

I have tried playing with increased resolution and decreased pixel density, the difference is subtle but still maxed out PD under close inspection seems to give the crispiest distant details, adding sharpness with lower PD does not have the same effect as it just makes edges noisier (haloed).
And while it sounds illogical, somehow increasing resolution has very minimal effect on overall image quality comparing to pixel density. Perhaps due to limitation of our current HMDs resolution.
Not sure, but this is my observations. Not complaining as having less complex objects at the beginning of rendering pipeline seems helping a lot, esp. with CPU.
Temporal Upsampling rules! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks Andrew, will investigate further. As a quick check, I renamed my 'mydocuments' acc folder and still same problem. Will check appdata next after I've given way to my son who wants to play Kerbal after school!

Not using any DX12 hacks either.
engine.ini is in different folder, not Documents. It's all in readme.

Well, I can get everything working but as soon as I change to 60hz setting in WMR and start ACC, it does the same black screen thing. Afterwards, changing back to 90 or auto, it does the same thing. Even tried restarting computer and disconnecting / reconnecting headset at different points but no luck. Very strange and making me think I can't be bothered with ACC again! I tried a couple of other games and they are fine.

• Deleted member 197115

What are your screen resolution settings, vsync, frame cap in video settings.
If 60hz creates the problem, try reprojection instead.

Well, I can get everything working but as soon as I change to 60hz setting in WMR and start ACC, it does the same black screen thing. Afterwards, changing back to 90 or auto, it does the same thing. Even tried restarting computer and disconnecting / reconnecting headset at different points but no luck. Very strange and making me think I can't be bothered with ACC again! I tried a couple of other games and they are fine.

I've never heard of this before. If it's just ACC maybe try a clean install without changing anything on the engine.ini and outside settings, launch it on 60hz and see if it works before messing with the settings?

Hi BlakArg - funnily enough, I just tried the very same thing. Doesn't like 60hz it seems. I have also tried just the engine.ini and it didn't seem to like that either, though I am a bit tired and may need to double check. However, I did then delete the appdata folder (all with standard auto setting for 60/90hz in WMR) and problem didn't go away until i deleted the documents folder.

@Andrew_WOT - can't remember what they were before, but since changed by your json files? I didn't alter anything - keeping vsync off, resolution either to my monitor that is 3440x1440 or 1920x1080. Don't think I had a frame cap before but had your setting for 46 on the 45fps json, etc.

Really appreciate your help but don't wont to bog down the thread with my personal problems! Will do some more testing and let you know if I'm successful, otherwise I'll just go and enjoy AC, RaceRoom and rFactor2 with my spare time! :)

Hi BlakArg - funnily enough, I just tried the very same thing. Doesn't like 60hz it seems. I have also tried just the engine.ini and it didn't seem to like that either, though I am a bit tired and may need to double check. However, I did then delete the appdata folder (all with standard auto setting for 60/90hz in WMR) and problem didn't go away until i deleted the documents folder.

@Andrew_WOT - can't remember what they were before, but since changed by your json files? I didn't alter anything - keeping vsync off, resolution either to my monitor that is 3440x1440 or 1920x1080. Don't think I had a frame cap before but had your setting for 46 on the 45fps json, etc.

Really appreciate your help but don't wont to bog down the thread with my personal problems! Will do some more testing and let you know if I'm successful, otherwise I'll just go and enjoy AC, RaceRoom and rFactor2 with my spare time! :)

You would be missing out!!! As a last resort also try uninstalling WMR portal and all that, and do a clean install of everything Oddysey related. Wish you luck!

• Deleted member 197115

Resolution and VSync settings are not part of the custom files, they are in
Users\<user>\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini
Are you on Win10 2004 update, btw? If not, 60hz was junk before.

Yep, I have 2004 update. I was about to give up after another completely clean install, was having a new difficulty of entering text where you put your name in so turned on one of the hmd controllers and hey presto, I could race with your json and engine.ini Andrew - might take a bit of getting used to the 'flicker' but that was the best VR experience I have had in ACC.

A big thank you again to @Andrew_WOT and @BlaKArg for your efforts and seems it was something completely daft on my end. All I seemed to have to do was turn on the controller, press the windows button on / off and the full display was in my HMD not just the HUD. :confused:

Might enjoy this for a while before trying the 100fps option. I did have a go with 45 and reprojection but definitely prefer 60fps.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

VR_100 is resolution 100%, not fps. Sorry for the confusion.
I suspect you wouldn't like it better than VR_60 as it's a bit blurrier.

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarification. I will sit pretty with your VR_60.json and keep an eye on this thread ;-)

I'm running 3900x / 2080ti so may be able to tweak a bit more or is it not worth it?

Edit: as a result, I will probably end up spending more money now to get the GT4 pack!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

What I hate about the engine.ini files, is that they make the game look crappy when you go back to 2d. I'm almost given up on ACC VR for now. It sorta works, but when you compare it to other games it's just not that great looking.
Just rename it to engine.bak or whatever and the default one will be created when game starts.
AC was my favorite go to VR sim, but after ACC I just can't help but cringe at its graphics.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 409 69.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 259 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 279 47.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 122 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 163 27.5%
Back