Share your VR graphic settings

• Deleted member 197115

Maybe this is why... in other games changes are effective on-the-fly... does ACC requires a restart? ..i'll try in that way!

...anyway, is there any advantage to use Steam's SS instead of ingame PD?

(i already have fpsVR)
I prefer in game PD personally, it seems to produce better results, not sure why, may be scaling rounding.

Yes, I know how it works. It can be noticeable at first but goes away after a while, same as people stop noticing flickering fluorescent lights, brain just start filtering it out. Also dropping brightness a bit helps.
Not super ideal, but smaller out of the two evils (jumping reprojection vs fluid 60fps), at least for me.
And when I say I don't see it anymore, I really mean it.
To be honest, hated it at first, you can check my earlier posts in this very thread.

No, it doesn't work like that, the brain doesn't filter it out for everyone. The 60hz CRT issue was a real problem in offices before LCD screens.

My headset also has the left screen flickering more than the right which amplifies the issue.

I'm glad 60hz is working for you but it really won't be an option for a lot of people no matter how long they try to persist with it.

• Deleted member 197115

Absolutely, it doesn't work for everyone. Some people can't even stomach VR at all, some are super sensitive to fluorescent lights. After all 90hz flickers too, just faster.
In my case I thought I was sensitive to that and ridiculed people using it, then with ACC found it less offensive than with other titles and after a while settled for 60hz as permanent option for everything.
WMR Reprojection is not that bad to be honest, still less smooth than 60hz in active scenes, but could work better for flicker sensitive folks. There is budget fps option for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Found some interesting tidbit on flicker sensitivity and brain adaptivity.

The last factor affecting flicker perception is the eye and brain of the observer. As you might expect, this is the most complicated bit, and you can read some of the detail at Flicker fusion threshold - Wikipedia if you want to, but the bottom line is that sensitivity limit to sinusoidal modulation of light under common conditions is expected to be below 60Hz.

Few people brought up in a country with 60Hz mains will be aware by observation of the flicker from 60Hz fluorescent tubes.

Few people brought up in a country with 50Hz mains will be aware by observation of the flicker from 50Hz fluorescent tubes.

The interesting effect (that I alluded to earlier) is that people brought up with 60Hz mains and then transported to a 50Hz place will sometimes complain about flicker from fluorescent tubes. The same happened when Americans brought up with 30Hz frame rates on cathode ray tube televisions first saw European 25Hz frame rate television - many were bothered by flicker, while few people who were used to 25Hz television were aware of it.

In summary, given all the caveats I have called in: most people won’t be aware of flicker; a few will be aware, but fewer if the mains frequency is 60Hz.

Absolutely, it doesn't work for everyone. Some people can't even stomach VR at all, some are super sensitive to fluorescent lights. After all 90hz flickers too, just faster.
In my case I thought I was sensitive to that and ridiculed people using it, then with ACC found it less offensive than with other titles and after a while settled for 60hz as permanent option for everything.
WMR Reprojection is not that bad to be honest, still less smooth than 60hz in active scenes, but could work better for flicker sensitive folks. There is budget fps option for everyone.

I've found the best way to use WMR Reprojection is to force it always on per app if you know it will be used. It's the adaptive setting that causes most issues with weird stuttering and surging. If it's always on then it's pretty solid.

Found some interesting tidbit on flicker sensitivity and brain adaptivity.

Fluorescent lights aren't a good example as the persistence is quite high and intensity delta low so flickering is a lot less. TVs run at 50 or 60hz depending on region with the same number of fields per second displaying interlaced frames. For sports this was used for 50 fps displaying alternating fields from every subsequent frame. But also you generally watch a TV from a long distance and it's more peripheral vision that picks up on flickering which is very much engaged in a HMD.

There is plenty of evidence that lower persistence flickering lighting have significant health issues with a lot of regulation about flickering in office settings from monitors and lighting. More recently with the onset of cheap LED lighting this regulation has had to be increased.

And check out the light intensity graphs for flickering and new EU regulation in this paper:

Low persistence LCD displays like in the G2 are much closer to LED lighting than fluorescent. It needs the low persistence because high persistence can cause nausea when turning you head, so there needs to be a balance between low enough persistence to reduce nausea but also lack of flickering to prevent eye strain and other health concerns.

I think the G2 could do with lower persistence on the 60hz setting which would help a lot but unfortunately that is something that can only be done with a firmware update. The bad calibration of the displays with different amounts of flickering only makes this worse.

• Deleted member 197115

Forced reprojection has higher overhead than Auto, you can compare GPU load of Forced and Auto both running at 45fps in fpsVR. That can stop your achieving 45 fps if headroom is pretty slim.
Me and others had better results in Auto and limiting frames in ACC to ~47fps.
But again, I am getting best visuals in 60hz mode, reprojection even when smooth looks like a downgrade, image is not as crisp and starts getting blurrier around edges. Plus it makes me feel dizzy after a while.

BTW, any plans on revisiting Heavy Messing after all FFB updates on Reiza side, or you wrote off this title completely?

• Deleted member 197115

Update to the above. Seems like that issue with higher overhead in WMR Forced reprojection was fixed.
Ran few tests in AC and ACC, Forced with Auto and frame limiter, performance is the same, actually average frametime even slightly better in Forced. Yay! :)

@Andrew_WOT i've tested you files, i was trying to bump up some settings but switching POST PROCESS from low up to ultra doesnt't have any effects.. i've then looked at the engine.ini and saw some of the variables... can i ask you if is possible to know what the variables are doing? Do you have any documentation on it?

Many thanks!

• Deleted member 197115

@Andrew_WOT i've tested you files, i was trying to bump up some settings but switching POST PROCESS from low up to ultra doesnt't have any effects.. i've then looked at the engine.ini and saw some of the variables... can i ask you if is possible to know what the variables are doing? Do you have any documentation on it?

Many thanks!
AO is disabled in engine.ini. You may want to remove these
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AOquality=0
r.DistanceFieldAO=0

There is a good resource on UE4 console vars, doesn't have all though.

Gentlemen, I have Pimax 5K Plus, can anyone share better settings for ACC than those I have at the moment:

LzHaqvZ.jpg

HDL29C8.jpg

y976xFe.jpg

[ConsoleVariables]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.1
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAASharpness=0.8
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.5
r.TonemapperQuality=0
r.TextureStreaming=0
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=0
r.BloomQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.LightShaftDownSampleFactor=4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneRenderTargetResizeMethod=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.7
r.AmbientOcclusionStaticFraction=0
r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.ShadowQuality=4
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSS.Scale=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughnes=0.1
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0
vr.InstancedStereo=1
vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.MotionBlurSeparable=0
r.MotionBlurSoftEdgeSize=0
r.TiledDeferredShading.MinimumCount=10
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=2
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.AllowHDR=0
r.AOquality=0
r.MipMapLODBias=0
r.UseShaderCaching=1
r.UseShaderPredraw=1
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
r.Shaders.Optimize=1
r.Shaders.FastMath=1
r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True

[SystemSettings]
Fullscreen=true

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.OptimizeForUAVPerformance=1
r.Streaming.MipBias=0
r.streaming.boost=0
r.Streaming.DefragDynamicBounds=1
r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=1
r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
r.UseShaderCaching=1
r.UseShaderPredraw=1
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
r.Shaders.Optimize=1
r.Shaders.FastMath=1

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
AudioDevice=Speakers (USB Audio Device)

[Core.System]
Paths=../../../Engine/Content
Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/FMODStudio/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Steam/SteamVR/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Oculus/OculusVR/Content
Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/ACShaders/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Developer/AnimationSharing/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content

[ConsoleVariables]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.1
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAASharpness=0.8
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.5
r.TonemapperQuality=0
r.TextureStreaming=0
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=0
r.BloomQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneRenderTargetResizeMethod=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.7
r.AmbientOcclusionStaticFraction=0
r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.ShadowQuality=4
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSS.Scale=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughnes=0.1
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0
vr.InstancedStereo=1
vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.MotionBlurSeparable=0
r.MotionBlurSoftEdgeSize=0
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.AllowHDR=0
r.AOquality=0
r.MipMapLODBias=0
r.UseShaderCaching=1
r.UseShaderPredraw=1
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
r.Shaders.Optimize=1
r.Shaders.FastMath=1

[SystemSettings]
Fullscreen=true

r.Streaming.MipBias=0
r.streaming.boost=0
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
r.UseShaderCaching=1
r.UseShaderPredraw=1
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
r.Shaders.Optimize=1
r.Shaders.FastMath=1

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
AudioDevice=Speakers (USB Audio Device)

[Core.System]
Paths=../../../Engine/Content
Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/FMODStudio/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Steam/SteamVR/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Oculus/OculusVR/Content
Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/ACShaders/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Developer/AnimationSharing/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content

Thank you very much for help.
I understand that it is the engine ini file and I have to paste all this data in it, replace what I have there now?
For me, this file looks very modest and is limited only to:
[Core.System]

What about the rest of the settings?

can someone help me with this plz i get crash many times
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:783][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: Global and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:783][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: FMODStudio and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:783][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: FMODStudio_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: FMODStudio and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: FMODStudio_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: SteamVR and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: SteamVR_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: SteamVR and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: SteamVR_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: OculusVR and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: OculusVR_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: OculusVR and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: OculusVR_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: ACShaders and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:784][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: ACShaders_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: ACShaders and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: ACShaders_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: Paper2D and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: Paper2D_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: Paper2D and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: Paper2D_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: AnimationSharing and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: AnimationSharing_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: AnimationSharing and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: AnimationSharing_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:785][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: CryptoKeys and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: CryptoKeys_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: CryptoKeys and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: CryptoKeys_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: DatasmithContent and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: DatasmithContent_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: DatasmithContent and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: DatasmithContent_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: MediaCompositing and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: MediaCompositing_SC and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: MediaCompositing and no native library supported.
[2021.01.12-12.30.24:786][ 0]LogShaderLibrary: Display: Failed to load Shared Shader Library: MediaCompositing_SC and no native library supported.

I'm using the latest "engine.ini" from @Andrew_WOT and it gives me some improvements in performance with my Valve Index.
Code:
[ConsoleVariables]
vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=16
r.DFshadowquality=1
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.AOquality=0
r.DistanceFieldAO=0
r.MipMapLODBias=-0.5

a.URO.ForceAnimRate=2
a.URO.ForceInterpolation=1
r.UseShaderCaching=1
r.UseShaderPredraw=1
But there's a visual thing, which annoys me. Even on Shadows=Epic the undercar shadow vanishes quite early. After about 30-40 virtual meters the shadow under the car ist gone, and it looks floaty.

Is there a parameter in "engine.ini" which could increase the render distance of these shadows? Even if it costs some performance.

I'm using a 2080Ti GPU and a I9 Cpu with a Vive Pro. I have played with many settings and gone from pretty good to not so good graphically. Always trying to improve the performance and look so get lost tweaking settings.
Any suggested setups that I should be using and or ini file tweaks that I should do for my particular setup.
I have been playing a bit of Hell Let Loose (Unreal Engine) on my pc screen so when I go back to ACC and VR the graphics look crap comparatively and the setting changes begin...............:)
I wish I could be satisfied and just leave **** alone..........one day maybe.:(

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 301 34.5%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 245 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 164 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.7%