Resource icon

Cars Shelby Cobra 289 MOD 1.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hi. I haven't heard of that one before. I am currently trying to get the flames working on the mod but am having no luck so far. In the instructions I said to download and install the original full meco/p..pus mod. If you did that then go into the meco shelby_cobra folder. Open the texture folder and copy the flames folder. Then paste it over the flames folder in the 289 cobra texture file. See if that works. I am likely to post another update soon even if the flames aren't working as I made a few other changes. It will be content manager friendly as well and I will, of course, test it thoroughly myself before uploading. Stay tuned. Thanks for posting.
Hi,
I've tried mod 1.1 and no more CM error message but there is still no flames and i replaced the"flames" file with Norman Leslie shared above. Now flames are back :)
Thank You both

OldRebel updated Shelby Cobra 289 MOD with a new update entry:

Working Flames!

Thank you to Race Department member Norman Leslie who tackled my 'flames' problem with this mod. He adjusted the flames.ini file and they now work. This update includes a new data folder to paste over your old one but all that is inside the folder is the new flames.ini file. Thanks again Norman. Teamwork makes me smile!

Read the rest of this update entry...

Will have to try this out soon. Just a suggestion though, might want to keep the complete package together through the updates. Can present a lot of confusion to newcomers of your work... :thumbsup:

Will have to try this out soon. Just a suggestion though, might want to keep the complete package together through the updates. Can present a lot of confusion to newcomers of your work... :thumbsup:
Yeah, you're right. I have thought of that. You might have noticed that I have commented a couple of times in different posts about my remote location and using over the air internet. Downloading takes time....uploading files that others consider small can be quite the chore for me. Very small files generally work ok. The sfx file is tough. It is very weather dependent.

I want to clarify what I wrote in my last post. I said 'mess with files' and that is not really correct. I do research specs on cars like I did with this 289 Cobra. If you know where to check in the data file you will find this car has the correct transmission gear ratios for example. I also took the published curb weight of a 289 Cobra and calculated what it should be in the car.ini file. I don't know why content manager doesn't like it. Sometimes I will change the coefficient of gravity and brake bias with an engine change in a car....usually actually...but this car was so sweet right out of the gate I left those things as is. So, no, you don't just 'mess' without research. Try to be as accurate as you can and see what happens. Sometimes you can really hit the mark.

Where are you getting the data from for your research? I tried your v1.2 this morning and it felt really over-powered. I might be wrong, but the spec that I found on the web for the Cobra 289 states 271 bhp at the rear wheels, with 423 Nm of torque at 4500 rpm. Your version has 384 bhp at 7000 rpm (451 bhp before I took off 15% for transmission losses), with 548 Nm of torque at 5000 rpm. That's rather different to the real car :O_o:

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand how you arrived at your engine figures :unsure:

Where are you getting the data from for your research? I tried your v1.2 this morning and it felt really over-powered. I might be wrong, but the spec that I found on the web for the Cobra 289 states 271 bhp at the rear wheels, with 423 Nm of torque at 4500 rpm. Your version has 384 bhp at 7000 rpm (451 bhp before I took off 15% for transmission losses), with 548 Nm of torque at 5000 rpm. That's rather different to the real car :O_o:

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand how you arrived at your engine figures :unsure:

I’d like to add something. I get the impression that this car is a ‘tuned’ version of the 427, with changes only to the engine and weight of the car. You have to remember though that the 289 had various differences with the 427. The 289 ran on transversal leaf springs, rather than coil spring like the 427. Also the chassis tubes were smaller, which means it was less rigid. Finally, the tyres had different dimensions, as the 427 mounted at the back Nascar type wheels (front ones to be precise). All these things make for very different car behaviour, and go deeper than just engine power and car weight tuning. Have they been taken in account or not @OldRebel ?

I just ran a 5 lap race around my 26km testing track, with this "289" against Kunos' 427 S/C, and the "289" was around 11 seconds quicker per lap :O_o:

I ran several laps of Bridgehampton which clocked ca. nine seconds faster than the fastest contemporaneous lap times that I could find for a Cobra 289 (1:49; Ken Miles, in the 1964 SCCA Nationals). My impression was that the tires have way more grip than the real-world car (I did a lot of testing at Bridgehampton when I was at CAR and DRIVER in the Sixties). So OldRebel's recreation of the car isn't dead-nuts accurate. It's still one sweet ride and I am happy to have it in my virtual scuderia. I'd love to race it in a SRS race on a big track (like Road America or Riverside).

In what world is this a 289 Cobra? It has 450 HP at the wheels which is more than the 427 car. With 15% drive train loss it says it's 530 HP at the crank.

The FIA 289 Cobras had around 350-380 HP at the crank which is about 300HP to the wheels. As Alfie stated it's faster than the 427 car which it basically never should be. Otherwise they would have never made the 427 Cobra if the 289 car was this fast.

Is the car fun? Maybe so. But don't call it a 289 Cobra as it is far far from it.

Watch this video to see how the 289 car should perform. This is a car I put together with Esotic a while back with a simple weight, springs, and proper power change. Also with custom sounds I was experimenting with for a stock car project. The next step would be to try and build a proper suspension for it to match the real 289 car.

Last edited:
Guys, guys, guys! Where do I start? First of all, you guys posting are people I respect very much in this hobby...very much. Especially Fat Alfie. David, your attention to detail is second to none. This 'quick and dirty' (as per my original upload overview) file adjustment on an existing old, (but great), dormant mod in no way,shape or form should be critiqued like you guys are doing here. It was "jammed together"(as per original overview) with some Sunbeam Tiger specs originally on a rainy Sunday afternoon just for fun. It was a lot of fun to drive right away and was easier to drive than the 427. I uploaded it because it was a blast to drive and thought I would share it. I then decided the Tiger 289 power lut could be improved upon so I looked around at some mid-sixties Mustang 289's and changed out the power lut for one of those. I read up on the 289 Cobras and learned that there will still some 289 Cobras made after the change to coil spring suspension. So pretend it's one of those. I have never said this car was anything other than something fun to drive. It is not a purists car by any means. Please read again my original overview of this 'mod' and also more that I wrote about it with update 1.1. I have been in contact with Marc ...., the original maker of the car. He has no issues with me (or anybody else) modding this car further. Go for it! His only concern is about people selling his original models. Looking back, I think maybe the original tag line I typed for this mod caused this confusion. It was/is ' An attempt to reproduce a 289 AC Cobra'. I wish I had included the word basic or simple but hindsite is 20/20. Other than that I think I have been pretty clear all along. By the way, I find it hard to believe this car would be showing test specs with the kind of horsepower you are talking about. The total mass figure in the data file is 1090 kg (2400 lbs). That kind of horsepower in this car would have it up in smoke all over the place and be way more squirrley to drive than it is, no? I don't get it.
There are lots of posters who love this car, love the handling, and are having fun with it. They get it. That's all this car was meant to be in it's present form. Please feel free to make it more accurate if you like. It is not 'my' car...I am not protective of it in any way and the original builder is happy his old mod has had some new life breathed in to it. Once again, RESPECT to you guys. Thank you.----Old Rebel

Guys, guys, guys! Where do I start? First of all, you guys posting are people I respect very much in this hobby...very much. Especially Fat Alfie. David, your attention to detail is second to none. This 'quick and dirty' (as per my original upload overview) file adjustment on an existing old, (but great), dormant mod in no way,shape or form should be critiqued like you guys are doing here. It was "jammed together"(as per original overview) with some Sunbeam Tiger specs originally on a rainy Sunday afternoon just for fun. It was a lot of fun to drive right away and was easier to drive than the 427. I uploaded it because it was a blast to drive and thought I would share it. I then decided the Tiger 289 power lut could be improved upon so I looked around at some mid-sixties Mustang 289's and changed out the power lut for one of those. I read up on the 289 Cobras and learned that there will still some 289 Cobras made after the change to coil spring suspension. So pretend it's one of those. I have never said this car was anything other than something fun to drive. It is not a purists car by any means. Please read again my original overview of this 'mod' and also more that I wrote about it with update 1.1. I have been in contact with Marc ...., the original maker of the car. He has no issues with me (or anybody else) modding this car further. Go for it! His only concern is about people selling his original models. Looking back, I think maybe the original tag line I typed for this mod caused this confusion. It was/is ' An attempt to reproduce a 289 AC Cobra'. I wish I had included the word basic or simple but hindsite is 20/20. Other than that I think I have been pretty clear all along. By the way, I find it hard to believe this car would be showing test specs with the kind of horsepower you are talking about. The total mass figure in the data file is 1090 kg (2400 lbs). That kind of horsepower in this car would have it up in smoke all over the place and be way more squirrley to drive than it is, no? I don't get it.
There are lots of posters who love this car, love the handling, and are having fun with it. They get it. That's all this car was meant to be in it's present form. Please feel free to make it more accurate if you like. It is not 'my' car...I am not protective of it in any way and the original builder is happy his old mod has had some new life breathed in to it. Once again, RESPECT to you guys. Thank you.----Old Rebel
Content manager doesn't lie.
upload_2019-9-11_21-15-42.png

The reason it doesn't feel as crazy as the 427 car is because you changed the tires and gave it tons of grip compared to what it should have.

Top speed of your car is 160 at RIR. A proper setup 289 car should not see anything over 140.

Scale down the power.lut until CM says 350 BHP and put the cobra tires back on it and you will start to get what a 289 should feel like. And FYI it feels and drives great and is a much better balanced car over the 427.

Or drop the 289 from the mod name and call it a fantasy Cobra.

Oh and FYI your last update is just the flame.ini. Not the whole data folder.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. I am very open to any input like that I get and I truly appreciate it. I will look in to doing this soon and probably create a second edition that will gradually get more and more accurate. I don't want to erase the current edition as too many people are having fun with it...inaccurate or not. I'm actually really glad I took the initiative to dive into transforming this great old mod into something different. It has taken me aback a bit as to what has transpired. Apparently people have been looking for something like this. By the way, a fellow Race Department member mentioned your handle as being the creator of the current Bridgehampton track, I think. I may be wrong but if that is true, I want to thank you for such a terrific rendition of that track. It is a track I use very often with many different classes of cars including this Cobra. Certainly in my top three of favorite tracks. Thank you.

I
+ know this will sound silly but I really do not have a clue how to get this mod. Could somebody please help and explain the process to me, baring in mind that I have little knowledge of computers. Thanks in advance

I really hope we see a full race spec 289 Cobra mod (with 3D model) in AC at some point. It should be able to race with the Griffith and 250 GTO. Then we just need an E Type and...

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 132 71.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 35 18.8%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 38 20.4%