SHO PnG Retrofit

Misc SHO PnG Retrofit V5

Login or Register an account to download this content

Shovas

Premium
Shovas submitted a new resource:

SHO PnG Retrofit - Power & Glory Historical Immersion Enhancements

SHO PnG Retrofit Demonstration Video:

SHO PnG Retrofit is a set of changes to Power & Glory 3.2 to enhance the historical immersion. The mod will start by adding in historic versions of tracks and historic championships and grow from there. Further changes that enhance immersion may be considered in the future.

*Please see "README SHO PnG Retrofit.txt" as it contains helpful details on install/uninstall, tips, questions, known/open issues, testing notes...

Read more about this resource...

I like this idea and wonder if this is compatible with the Anniversary mod.
So far it's just added tracks, championships, and later 24H races, so I doubt there'd be conflicts.

But maybe there would be if you choose to clean out modern content in the install steps by running the install script. That is optional, though (will be emphasized optional in the next release), so you could skip it and be okay.

Last edited:
Truly outstanding idea for a mod, Shovas! :inlove: Currently away from my gaming computer for another week, so won't be able to test until then, but this is fabulous, and I urge you to keep working on it. Looking forward to trying out this mod! :)

I've recently been vacillating between rFactor 1 HistorX and GTR2 Power and Glory for historic touring and GT cars. But in addition to rain and any AI enhancements in AIW files or added by CrewChief, a well-assembled, tested, period-correct trackpack might put PnG over the top for me!

For track suggestions – other than the many 60s GPL conversions out there, I can't help but think of the GTR2 conversions of the GPC79 tracks, some of which may be period correct for the early-mid 70s European series, depending on the case.

EDIT: might also be worth keeping an eye on this GTR2 port (with permission) of LilSki's Riverside e.g. for the PnG IROC cars. The track still needs optimization, but I'm glad it exists :)

Last edited:
... a well-assembled, tested, period-correct trackpack might put PnG over the top for me!
I removed every track post-1974 from my P&G (entailing also an odious evening of editing championship gdbs), here is the list of what I'm currently using:

Note: use the P&G Albi track, the standard GTR2 track has issues with some P&G cars not leaving the pits. And I've had to edit the eng files for a few cars so they would leave the pits at other tracks (doesn't affect performance, just a little "bump" to get them moving).

Also back at work on that long abandoned project of LOD screens with minimaps and info screens (had about 300 for V2, was converting those to V3 when an HD mishap ate the masters).

Last edited:
added by CrewChief, a well-assembled, tested, period-correct trackpack might put PnG over the top for me!

Shovas - really great idea, best of luck with it. I really, really appreciate historic accuracy, as much as it is possible.

My plugin already includes mutliple features that enhance PnG experience, most notably H-Shifting with per-gear damage - if you never experienced finishing race without 3rd gear, check it out :D . My plugin is designed with the goal of being configurable per mod (via .cchdc/.ccgdb files), so if anyone wants to configure their mod to utilize those features per mod, feel free to PM me - supporting more realistic mods is my priority. I also have some ideas how to make that per mod capability even better. But to @MJQT's point, yes, mod can be pre-configured to utilize CC plugin for highest realism.

I do not know if any of the PnG cars had turbo engines, but that's one more enhancement I have on my list that might benefit PnG as well :)

Last edited:
Outside of Indy and Lemans, turbos were little used in the late sixties. To my knowledge none of the default P&G cars would have had one. Superchargers, on the other hand, were common owner additions ...til they found this usually bumped them into the next higher class where, even with the supercharger, they were borderline competitive; and on long fast tracks, such as Lemans, they could actually be detrimental.

Shovas updated SHO PnG Retrofit with a new update entry:

[Preview] How to Contribute Historic Championships

This is a preview of a README section with instructions on how to make championships.

Feedback welcome! Particularly about how this can be improved to help people new to making championships jump in and learn.

How to Contribute Historic Championships

You can help contribute historic championships and it's pretty easy, actually.

I'd like to encourage crowd-sourced historic championships instead of taking on that role myself as I could never cover more than a fraction of series out...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This is fantastic. Love the idea of crowdsourced championships! :thumbsup: And I'll gladly contribute some research on historic championships. :) This is something I've been doing a lot recently, actually – in particular, I've been researching and assembling trackpacks for 2000s V8 Supercars in rF1 and 80s DTM, ATCC, and WTCC with the old Touring Car Legends mod in rF1 or GTR2 – so I'm "in the mood" for it, as it were :roflmao:.

Last edited:
This is fantastic. Love the idea of crowdsourced championships! :thumbsup: And I'll gladly contribute some research on historic championships. :) This is something I've been doing a lot recently, actually – in particular, I've been researching and assembling trackpacks for 2000s V8 Supercars in rF1 and 80s DTM, ATCC, and WTCC with the old Touring Car Legends mod in rF1 or GTR2 – so I'm "in the mood" for it, as it were :roflmao:.

Amazing, I'd be happy to include them.

The only issue will be acquiring permissions to include the tracks but every author I've heard from so far has been happy to let them be included.

Request:

Here are the tracks I hope to be in the next release - I am not sure if these are the *best* choices so if you have more experience with historic tracks feel free to suggest replacements if you think there's a better version:

60s_Oulton_v1_0_by_philrob.rar (Philrob)
70sSilverstone v0_90 by motorfx.rar (Motorfx)
Aintree_v3_0_by_philrob.rar (Philrob)
Croft 90s v1_0 by GTP_Furinkazen.7z (GTP_Furinkazen)
EarlyBrands_PnG_V1_0.7z (Philrob)
GPLea_Crystal_Palace_v1_22_by_motorfx_for_GTR2.zip (Motorfx)
Goodwood v2_00 by motorfx.zip (Motorfx)
Mallory1970_PnG_V1_3.7z (Philrob)
Silverstone75_PnG_V1_0.7z (Motorfx)
Snetterton.1964.v1.0.GTR2.rar (N2LO/Bill Guillaume)
Spa_1967_v2_0_by_zwiss.rar (Zwiss)
Thruxton_PnG_V0_81.7z (sunalp2)

Help Wanted:

Looks like there are a lot of Power & Glory fans still and there might be some that want to contribute and have expertise in areas I don't.

So, here are some areas I've noticed where Power & Glory and the content this mod brings in could be improved upon by someone with the right interest and skillset:

- AI Enhancements: AI are pretty good but lines could be better for P&G AI that aren't used to the new tracks.

- New AI Drivers: Add in era and championship-correct AI drivers

- Add/Update Historic Tracks: Some tracks don't exist, some tracks are the wrong era and could be retrofitted to be era-correct, some tracks exist with one layout but missing another (Ex. EarlyBrands has GP layout but not Indy)

- Enhance Track Graphics: Reduce object pop-in, increase frame rate, improve draw distance for all views including mirrors, replace/improve track-side objects/billboards that might be out-of-era

- Enhance Power & Glory Car Graphics: The graphics are aging a little bit and could use some improvements like sharper textures or higher poly counts.

- Add Championships and 24H Races: Make your favourite championship!

This will be in the README/Overview for the next release.

[Status] Waiting on permissions and next release highlights

I'm presently just waiting to hear back from some authors for permissions.

I have permissions from the authors who converted tracks and, just doing my due diligence, I'm contacting original track authors, as well. A number of these authors have been inactive for years, though. I don't expect to hear from some of them.

I won't let extra permissions hold up the release too long as I already have the permissions from primary authors or authors who worked with others and spoke on their behalf...

[Release] SHO PnG Retrofit V2

Version 2 (2022-07-01..2022-07-10)

Highlights:
  • Full list of tracks now included:
    • Aintree
    • Brands Hatch
    • Croft
    • Crystal Palace
    • Goodwood
    • Mallory Park
    • Oulton Park
    • Silverstone
    • Spa
    • Snetterton
    • Thruxton
    • Tracks are period-appropriate whenever possible
  • Full list of championships now included:
    • 1961 British Saloon Car Championship
    • 1962 British Saloon Car Championship
    • 1970 British Saloon Car...

[Update] Received permissions to use text/photos from touringcarracing.net

I contacted the admin/owner of touringcarracing.net, a tribute site to the British Saloon/Touring Car Championship and the European Touring Car Championship, and received permission to use text and photos from the site. Some of the photos are high quality vintage racing shots.

I've been using the site so far as a historical reference for building championships.

I plan to use the text and photos to spruce up the championship descriptions and provide valuable history and a synopsis about...

1. Looking for track authors for permissions, do you know where to reach them?

- "Guess Youknow" (Spa66_PnG_V1_1.7z)
- Dr. Bleifuss (Spa.1967.v1.1.GTR2.rar)
- Renntom (StUrsanne_GTR2_V1.2.zip)

I couldn't find them on Race Department, European Endurance Center (EEC), F1 Classic (F1C), Festbierbude.de, Koelschbierbude.de, Trackaholics, or SMRZ.

2. Missing tracks, do you have these?

Aspern
Belgrade
Budapest
Eigental
Marchairuz
Mont Ventoux
Olympia
Timmelsjoch

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes