PC2 Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg

First day back in the office for many this morning, what better way to pass the time than have a good discussion about the new Project CARS game?

Now the dust is beginning to settle around the recent release of Project CARS 2, we thought it a good time to look deeper into the game, driven by our community, and share our findings and impressions from the heavily hyped new racing title from Slightly Mad Studios.

Do you have some useful tips for getting the most from the sim? Found a magic setting to really unlock the FFB? Got a trick up your sleeve that helps bring sharper graphics for little FPS trade off? Or do you simply want to share your most / least favourite car and track combinations?

So long as it remains on topic, respectful and mature, we want to know your thoughts!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2.jpg

Multiplayer that works good enough, so the game can be used here or elsewhere on a regular basis is the most important thing for me :thumbsup:I wont buy until that happens, I never drive with AI drivers in any game, I use them to get an idea of lap times
that's it...:coffee:

• Deleted member 99238

I do not understand some on this forum.
I still drive in PC1 and get pleasure from it.
Also I can run a few quick hotlaps in AC, after I can do a quick race in the AMS on the Brazilian track. Sometimes it takes me a few weeks to delay R3E studying the tracks.
I never considered myself a simracer, but I always considered myself a Gamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
With every minute more spent ingame, the more bugs come to shine and so one side of my brain ask me why i didnt refund instantly and the other side telling me to keep pushin the damn v12 aston martin harder around le mans. Next week FM7 comes to pc...at least i got pc2 cheaper so i didnt throw that much money away.

With the RAW preset, what you're feeling (absent bugs that have yet to be discovered) is *exactly* what the Seta Tyre Model is feeding through the suspension to the steering rack.

Which means you're essentially praising the physics solver and the physics data (chassis/suspension model/spring/damper) calibration here. :)

If you're used to either a Pacejka (AMS?) or stiff-ish Brush Tyre Model (AC?), then yes, the feel is going to be different -- mainly because (AIUI) the STM simulates way more than either type of model in the tyres.
Well, AMS is slip-curve based, but much more complex than basic Pacejka, AC is Brush based but so was pCARS1 and there is WORLD of difference between the two ...so, "brush based" doesn't say much. Also AC simulates a TON of stuff like blistering, that the braking load sensitivity of a tire is different from acceleration load sensitivity and a lot, LOT of little things that don't need a rocket scientist to model them, it's pretty simple stuff, but it adds up so that your "pCARS2's new kind of tire model simulates much more" probably isn't true.

However, I do believe you that pCARS2's tire model simulates the more important things in fairly complexer ways than AMS and AC and it shows in this great FFB that ...actually most cars in pCARS2 display. I'm really very very happy with how it feels, how much information get off it and how confident it makes me. The handling still seems ..."forgiving" I'd say - in a not-100% sim way. Like, if there were variables in the tire model that are based on personal opinion and educated guesses, then "let's rather make it a little easier than to shoot for the most realistic values without compromise".

Clean racing in public lobbies, hell truly has frozen over. 2 really good online races in a random lobby, first time with 10 cars on Sonoma GP then 22 cars on Donnington GP, minimal contact in both races and players generally making sensible moves and giving each other space. As good as the RD races I've taken part in.

Quite a few people around with E safety ratings already so it looks like the license system has helped reduce the usual open lobby nonsense.

For sim-racing, absolutely. You won't max everything out, but what you have will still be pretty. I'd add that all the non-sim-racing VR content I've run (so Lone Echo/Echo Arena, Job Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, Eleven table tennis, Superhot VR [best VR game out right now], SportsBar VR, etc).

Trust me, it'll blow your mind.
WOW! Bac Mono race at Brands I have never experienced anything like it in gaming.

if you dont mind me asking what gfx settings do you use in PC2?

• Deleted member 99238

I have a question for the AC fanboys and supporters of realism.
When will Kunos make a working automatic gearbox?
In life, I only use a manual gearbox, but in racing I prefer a semi-automatic or fully automatic box, depending on what is needed at the moment. This is due to the limited experiences of my G27 manual shift even H-shifter gearbox.
In AC so far, the automatic transmission can not switch in time to the lower gear constantly hovering in the upper gear.
The only explanation I could find is downshift protection reduced gear. In all other simulators, the automatic box works as I need. I do not need this realism in the game.

I have a question for the AC fanboys and supporters of realism.
When will Kunos make a working automatic gearbox?
In life, I only use a manual gearbox, but in racing I prefer a semi-automatic or fully automatic box, depending on what is needed at the moment. This is due to the limited experiences of my G27 manual shift even H-shifter gearbox.
In AC so far, the automatic transmission can not switch in time to the lower gear constantly hovering in the upper gear.
The only explanation I could find is downshift protection reduced gear. In all other simulators, the automatic box works as I need. I do not need this realism in the game.

Enable automatic throttle blip and automatic clutch and problem should be solved.

Underneath it all iRacing is still that old Papyrus Nascar game (or you could go back to GPL if you like) and RFactor 2 is just RFactor 1. Your point being?

My point is rather obvious to anyone intelligent enough or to anyone who has actually played NFS Shift and PC1.....they were both terrible.

If we can agree on this one you can also accept that PC2 isn't as bad but not much better either.It's the logical conclusion because again, it's based on the same engine.
If we can't agree on this then there's no point discussing about it, it's a waste of time.I'd rather go play a decent sim and you go have some arcade fun playing an NFS game using a physics engine that sure does feel realistic....to an Alien who migrated from from Vega...

Oh by the way...those where very good, unlike NFS Shi(f)t

I do not understand some on this forum.
I still drive in PC1 and get pleasure from it.
Also I can run a few quick hotlaps in AC, after I can do a quick race in the AMS on the Brazilian track. Sometimes it takes me a few weeks to delay R3E studying the tracks.
I never considered myself a simracer, but I always considered myself a Gamer.

Exactly, there's a big difference between a GAMER and a SIM-RACER. I want spot on physics, no room for vagueness or uncertainty or inexplicable reactions. You on the other hand might not even be aware of those things, you might even perceive those as normal.

The amount of reaching is REEEEE-DICULOUSSSS!

Really? So a sportscar or even a club racer rolling as much as an old crappy daily driver is "realistic"? OK. I guess i should put back in my car the old beat up suspension and playdough anti-roll bars because you know....excessive roll is actually awesome.At least by SMSs standards...and yours.

If we can agree on this one you can also accept that PC2 isn't as bad but not much better either.It's the logical conclusion because again, it's based on the same engine.
"A fallacy is the use of invalid or otherwise faulty reasoning, or "wrong moves" in the construction of an argument. A fallacious argument may be deceptive by appearing to be better than it really is."

• Deleted member 99238

You on the other hand might not even be aware of those things, you might even perceive those as normal.
Here I agree with you, but answer me then one question.
Do you often drive a car in life at the border of its capabilities?
I'm not or very rarely.
Any motorsport is driving on the edge of its capabilities and only in simulators I can really feel it. And what game or simulator passes them more reliably I do not know and I choose only what I like more.
The machine you can fully feel only sitting inside it and only through your ass and not through the steering wheel on the table in front of the monitor.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 300 34.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 242 28.0%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 161 18.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 23 2.7%