Sim PC dead :( Which new MB,CPU etc.

My Sim PC has been playing up for some time, very hit and miss booting up, it’s never been right - final it’s refusing to boot anymore, so time for a Motherboard and refresh, currently have a X99 Mb and a i7 5820k processor

I’m thinking of going the AMD route - suggestions please

The PC is only used for Sim Gaming, don’t want to spend a fortune but want a good base to upgrade from

Thanks in advance

I just about to upgrade from 3770k to a 3700x and X570 Elite mb later today. I think with my 2080 it should be a decent step up in performance.

I would try taking all your ram sticks out,and your graphics card ,remove the power clips to the motherboard, and give everything a good dust.
Then re-seat all the bits and bobs, (would not hurt to remove the CMOS battery and stick in a new CR2032) and try that first before splashing out loads of dosh.
Ive had similar problems before,and if some component is not fitted 100% you can get these issues.
Its a quick easy fix if it works ,and well worth a go before you give up on your old PC.
Its amazing how many faults have simple solutions!

I have given up trying to sort it out - I have had issues with it since I built it - tried everything and spent hrs on the forums reading up

time to start a new build - hence the new mother board and processor as a base to build from

You can save some money if you are indeed going the AMD route and it is for gaming only.
If you plan to do video editing or anything else, I'd go with the 3700x
The R5-3600x and the R7-3700x will perform in games only on par with each other, since boost clocks are the same.
You can save an extra hundred buck on average there.
Unless you are using PCIE 4 drives, I'd stick with a good, reputable X470 brand.
You can save another $125-170 there on average.
Any performance difference you won't be able to tell.

Just upgraded to 3700x and X570 from over locked 3770k. Initial impressions are very very positive. Seems to be a beast of a setup with a 2080.
It's hard to describe but just feels very smooth on AC with maxed triple 1080p which is all I've had time to test.
Looking forward to testing ACC at weekend.
Best of luck with the build.

Quick update close this thread

Got the following upgrade bits
  • AOC CQ27G2U/BK 27" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Curved Widescreen LED Backlit
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard - DOA
  • MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard
  • WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive
After a bit of chew with a DOA motherboard, I finally got the machine re-built and a fresh install of windows and associated software

I'm leaning towards purchasing another 2 x AOC CQ27G2U/BK 27" monitors and going triple - but these area out of stock at the moment

So far a big improvement in stability of the system, and I think a good base to upgrade from, when I get the extra monitors, it will push me to replacing the 980Ti which as done a great job so far.

I couldn't get my original Corsair Hydro H110i GT to fit the new processor even with the conversion kit from corsair - need to look into this

Still some work to do, not I appear to have a stable system, I might look at overclocking the men and the Gfx card, but I want to sort out the cooling first

Phil

Make sure you update to latest BIOS and download the AMD Chipset drivers directly from AMD site. Also I had USB power issues with the X570 board and solved it with a powered usb hub (just thought id mention)

Don't forget to go into the Control Panel under Power Options and select AMD Ryzen high Performance.
Run the R20 Cinebench single core test while HWinfo64 is monitoring.
You can then see if you are reaching max boost clocks.
If boost is higher on four sequential cores 0 through 3 or 4 through 7, I'd consider splitting the all-core boost to individual CCXs....IF you have tha absolute latest version of W10.
I did exactly that with my R5-3600x and the difference is very noticeable...especially in games.

Make sure you update to latest BIOS and download the AMD Chipset drivers directly from AMD site. Also I had USB power issues with the X570 board and solved it with a powered usb hub (just thought id mention)
Done

Don't forget to go into the Control Panel under Power Options and select AMD Ryzen high Performance.
Run the R20 Cinebench single core test while HWinfo64 is monitoring.
You can then see if you are reaching max boost clocks.
If boost is higher on four sequential cores 0 through 3 or 4 through 7, I'd consider splitting the all-core boost to individual CCXs....IF you have tha absolute latest version of W10.
I did exactly that with my R5-3600x and the difference is very noticeable...especially in games.
Done - I had no idea about this :rolleyes:

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Porsche

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • BMW

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • McLaren

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Toyota

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • Intel

Votes: 9 13.8%