SimBin: 'Don't worry about bankruptcy rumours'

ref_feat1.jpg

Various websites have posted news regarding potential bankruptcy of SimBin Studios AB, here's a little substantiated clarification.

RaceDepartment understands that the current SimBin Studios AB company is undergoing a large restructuring. Current projects, such as R3E, are expected to be continued under the new banner of the new studio.

It is understood that there have been a handful of job losses at SimBin, however the majority of the development team is expected to remain at the 'new' studio. We'd like to wish those who have lost their jobs all the best in finding a new position.

We're confident that the information we're providing to you is up-to-date and correct, and is not based on speculation from social media.

SimBin's own @Jay Ekkel said, on RaceDepartment's forums:

Ill keep it short and sweet for now.

New Studio, new (tbd) name, new location, (almost) the same team. And most importantly we will continue the development of the project(s).

More (good) news will follow soon (tm) ;)

Don't worry about it, services and development will continue as planned.

There's nothing to worry about in regards to support of current games, or the release of future games. Content that has already been purchased will still function as normal.
Image: SimBin Studios AB

Last edited:
I dislike 'Internet Only' systems on the MMO model, but they do seem to be more common these days and, I suppose, are one way of preventing the rampant cheating that can take place when people can 'edit' the cars offline and use them in a multiplayer lobby.

I remember a guy in GT5 who had a Mini, that the game thought really was a Mini, but he'd hacked the file on his system and changed it so it performed like a supercar. It was fun as a joke, but I avoided random online lobbies because it was common to see people utilising that weakness to gain a real advantage.

There will always be cheaters online, so anything that makes their job harder in a racing game has to be a good thing, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

I dislike 'Internet Only' systems on the MMO model, but they do seem to be more common these days and, I suppose, are one way of preventing the rampant cheating that can take place when people can 'edit' the cars offline and use them in a multiplayer lobby.

I remember a guy in GT5 who had a Mini, that the game thought really was a Mini, but he'd hacked the file on his system and changed it so it performed like a supercar. It was fun as a joke, but I avoided random online lobbies because it was common to see people utilising that weakness to gain a real advantage.

There will always be cheaters online, so anything that makes their job harder in a racing game has to be a good thing, doesn't it? :thumbsup:
Online for online seems more than reasonable. Online for offline does not.

Well, we will all suffer one day.

You guys who justify this online only crap will regret it. :rolleyes:

Just look at Ferrari Virtual Academy. Many, including me, paid hard earned money for it and now we can no longer use it. Why? Because of it's online only premise and now they have turned it off. Well done Kunos and Ferrari.

Now theres Assetto Corsa. Besides FVA wasnt really going anywhere and Kunos already moved on to AC, so like others its discontinued.

But does show its a real fact of how things can work, can't worry now.

But AC is on steam which is unlikely to turn off. FVA should have been put there too. At least we would still be able to use something we had paid for.

I know.
I just pointed out that several games have been taken down by "mistake" when you wrote that AC isn't likely to go off steam, and I took GSCE and FT as an example.

Yes I know you did, but I think you don't understand. GSCE and FT can be played offline even if they were in Steam, which they aren't yet. :)

Yes I know you did, but I think you don't understand. GSCE and FT can be played offline even if they were in Steam, which they aren't yet. :)
It don't seem like you do.
I didn't mention offline, and don't bother much about it either..

All I said was that games can be removed from steam, even if they wasn't supposed to be removed.
It had nothing to do with offline or not, or if they can be played outside of steam in what I wrote.

You are wrong Brandon,thy never said that. Formula Truck maybe, but GSCE will always be able to be updated via patch or gsync. ;);):cool:

I must have read it wrong. Maybe he meant it will only be available for purchase from Stram after that. But he said something about you'd have to re-enter your code with a Steam code so I presumed that meant normal Steam rules would apply henceforth.

Heppsan, we will have to agree to disagree. Your argument is pointless, if not childish.
Agree to disagree what??
I'm with you!..
R3E is online only and not on steam for the moment.
GSCE and FT are playable both outside of steam and offline. (When available)
I just pointed out that games have disappeared from steam by mistake.. Thats it.
Whats there to disagree about?

By the way, who is dissing who's posts? ;)

You are wrong Brandon,thy never said that. Formula Truck maybe, but GSCE will always be able to be updated via patch or gsync. ;);):cool:
Yes, but not if they switch.
Here is an outtake from the interview::
"Concerning the keys, before the release of the games, their respective websites will have a system where owners will be able to retrieve Steam keys for their games. Upon retrieving the Steam Key, their original Gameshield Serial Number will be deleted from the database, so once they make the move they can´t go back unless they purchase again. For Formula Truck owners, we recommend they do make the move as future updates will only be deployed on Steam from the next release onwards. For Game Stock Car Extreme we still plan delivering updates via GSC Sync, so it´s up to the user´s personal preference. Save for this update policy and specific Steam features we eventually add, both games will function exactly the same as they do now."

I'm still asking myself why Sector3 didn't apply to R3E the same system as Race07/GTR2.

Yes I bought r3e content, yes I like it, yes I'll buy more well made content in the future, and yes I hope to play it for MANY MANY years as I'm doing with Race07. Because one thing is for sure: if S3 decides to shutdown r3e... boom, think it like this simple example:
54€ digivolves to... DTM 2013/2014, ADAC 2013/2014
*S3 shuts down r3e*
DTM 2013/2014, ADAC 2013/2014 digivolves to... THE PUREST EMPTINESS

Meanwhile, there's Race07, GTR2, AC, LiveForSpeed, RBR, GSCE... all of them famous sims that have the same play system that any sim MUST have, and it's:

You're online? You can play.
You're offline? You can play against AI or practice, not MP.

Last edited:
I'm still asking myself why Sector3 didn't apply to R3E the same system as Race07/GTR2.

As said in previous posts it's mainly cause of cheaters and the overall MMO experience. It has pro and cons: honestly I raised my eyebrows when I saw the "always online" thing and expressed my doubts as well. But I see now under a better/different light why they have decided to do so. More control, more stability, more "interconnection". I've no problem with that anymore and in all honesty internet is omnipresent nowadays. Sad truth is: if you don't have a stable connection you either need to find a way to fix it (changing ISP maybe?) or unfortunately you'll have to accept it... but hey... c'est la vie!

Yes I bought r3e content, yes I like it, yes I'll buy more well made content in the future, and yes I hope to play it for MANY MANY years as I'm doing with Race07. Because one thing is for sure: if S3 decides to shutdown r3e... boom,

If this is the case I'm utterly positive they won't just disappear like that *puff!*.
Simbin is no meager Company: I trust their ethic and their way of doing.

As said in previous posts it's mainly cause of cheaters and the overall MMO experience. It has pro and cons: honestly I raised my eyebrows when I saw the "always online" thing and expressed my doubts as well. But I see now under a better/different light why they have decided to do so. More control, more stability, more "interconnection". I've no problem with that anymore and in all honesty internet is omnipresent nowadays. Sad truth is: if you don't have a stable connection you either need to find a way to fix it (changing ISP maybe?) or unfortunately you'll have to accept it... but hey... c'est la vie!
The question is... why did Kunos, Reiza, SimBin (with Race07) and ISI not give a single f*ck about DRM in their actual sim games? Maybe because they know is not attractive for newers to come?
R3E has good graphics, great sounds, well physics, still questionable FFB, bad menu interface... I can like it anyways, but the DRM sh*ts it in many ways.

people still confuse the basic reality between who makes it and who owns it

the basic thing is S3e make it , they dont own it, there not selling it , but they are fighting for the best experience possible

And if it does die , then imsure at that point an .exe can be shipped that will run it

but im happy its the way it is , i know im not racing a file tweaker a ram cheat etc ... im racing with the same physics as the next driver

As for the ffb ... sit down , tweak slowly ,think of it as a setup ; build it to how you want it and even more than that learn from what it tells you .....

Andi

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 81 90.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 29 32.2%