Spec map using GIMP?

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any luck creating a spec map using GIMP (using the Gimp DDS plugin)?

I have been trying for almost 2 weeks now and it seems the spec map does nothing at all. The car I am trying to work on is like super glossy and nothing I do will change it.

I am using Windows 10, GIMP with the gimp dds plugin. I also have and old copy of Paint Shop Pro that I used for modding back when I was building mods and it worked fine back then... now with Win 10 I get nothing... The Spec map does not seem to do anything. PSP is using the Photoshop plugin so it seems that should work but it doesn't.

One thing to note:
I took one of my old mods that had the gloss level set to very low gloss, I tried adding and all white spec map (which should be full gloss and it didn't change anything.

Same results and this new car I am working on so it looks like something is broken somewhere.

I am using a spec map with stripes of grey/black/white, no alpha channel (also tried with alpha) I have tried almost every combo of switches but nothing seems to make any difference in the gloss level.

Has anyone found out how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Bob (formerly Punko353)

In case anyone else is trying to do this... It can't be done with GIMP.

I reverted to installing my old version of Paint Shop Pro and the Photoshop plugin to get spec mapping to work.

For some reason the Gimp DDS plugin doesn't work for Spec mapping. It seems to export DXT5 paint jobs fine, just not DXT1 which is needed for Spec Mapping.

Hope this helps someone in need.

Bob (formerly Punko353)

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 262 34.0%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 213 27.7%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 145 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 63 8.2%