rF2 Studio 397 GTE @ Sebring International Raceway - Fri 24Aug18

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
It looks like this is my week of embarassing crashes... I clipped the wall at the end of the formation lap and spun into the barrier, and to make it even worse, I accidentally reversed into Mr. Riaz, I'm really sorry for that!

I ended up last, but thanks to the big crash in front of me I was able to catch up with the back of the pack pretty quickly and from then on, there was close racing till the finish line, thanks everybody!

The video titled "la tuneladora" is by the end of that same video in which another driver uses the brake to remove all the cars that are ahead, if he wants to drive, this is not my problem, and I have not put it in RD, you have taken it from my website, and I have a fight with another porsche in which I almost took it for a lag, although I think my connection is not the problem 600 / 100MB. Anyway, it would be good if you recorded your exit and showed it, because what I've seen of your departure is that you have no respect for anyone at least in the first four corners. The title is correctly written ... and you allude directly to what I saw in that minute of the race.

If I say that from the second curve to the straight I DO NOT SEE ANY MACHINE what is the point that you DO NOT KNOW? .. If I say that I have seen LAGs of other users WHAT DO YOU DO NOT KNOW? I will show you my replay at least you'll understand .... maybe!

Anyone running GTX 970 or a similar card on single screen with good performance willing to share their settings? Thanks.
I've got a GTX 970 on a two generations old (I think) i7 trying to push 144fps at 1440p and I was getting 90fps+ last night.

I generally slam everything down as low as it will go, then gradually raise the things that annoy me most. Can't remember my exact settings, but I have track detail, self detail and opponent detail set quite high, but only 12 or 15 visible cars with virtually no anti-aliasing.

If I say that from the second curve to the straight I DO NOT SEE ANY MACHINE what is the point that you DO NOT KNOW? .. If I say that I have seen LAGs of other users WHAT DO YOU DO NOT KNOW? I will show you my replay at least you'll understand .... maybe!

I put the video because it seemed incredible to me that someone acts like this in the middle of an accident, if you have your repetition because you put it and it is already, it is not necessary to get upset, or raise your voice, I show what I have seen on my PC, even I'll tell you that you're the one who uploaded another video of me to RD, not me.
But I tell you one thing if I have connection problems with 40 cars on the track and above you comment that I do not see anyone, I directly disconnect the PC.
If everything is normal in your video, it would be best not to put 40 cars on the track in the server, in my opinion I saw it as usual, except for some normal lag with twice as many cars on the track.

I've got a GTX 970 on a two generations old (I think) i7 trying to push 144fps at 1440p and I was getting 90fps+ last night.

I generally slam everything down as low as it will go, then gradually raise the things that annoy me most. Can't remember my exact settings, but I have track detail, self detail and opponent detail set quite high, but only 12 or 15 visible cars with virtually no anti-aliasing.
If you could maybe post more specifics later, that would be much appreciated. Because from what you've described, it sounds pretty much like where I am, apart from the framerate :( LIke I said, I was at 20 fps on the grid, and never really went over 45 at any point of the race. It was quite rough. I do run AA at around Level 1 or 2, but it doesn't really seem to make much difference to my framerate or GPU usage.
Cheers.

If you could maybe post more specifics later, that would be much appreciated. Because from what you've described, it sounds pretty much like where I am, apart from the framerate :( LIke I said, I was at 20 fps on the grid, and never really went over 45 at any point of the race. It was quite rough. I do run AA at around Level 1 or 2, but it doesn't really seem to make much difference to my framerate or GPU usage.
Cheers.
Very strange. I'll try and post if I remember to screenshot it next time I'm in game.

All I can possible suggest is that maybe your components are being performance throttled because of overheating, although mine is very badly laid out inside and (touch wood) doesn't have that problem.

Oh, there was one thing that gave me an increase in FPS not long ago as well, there is some folder you were meant to delete when moving from the DX9 build to the DX11 build, and if you didn't you got crappy fps. Can't remember what it was off the top of my head...

@Valrys No, I'm pretty sure my components are not being temperature throttled. And like I said, my performance was pretty much fine before we got to the race itself.

As for the folders, you're likely talking about the CBash and Shaders folder. I'm aware of those. I've actually created a brand new profile to make sure my old profile does not contain anything that could impact the performance negatively. Didn't really change much. I've tried a fair amount of things before I posted my comment.

Well there's your problem, you're racing over TeamViewer! ;)

But seriously, that looks like a major connection hiccup on your end.

(BTW, might not be the best idea to publicly show your TeamViewer ID.)

here is my truth
I dont know what to really say ... I would have abandoned in the training lap. You have advanced 20 positions and you have taken half the cars ... and without noticing anything. what I say.... the title of my video is perfect. I could never change it! Thanks for showing your video.

If it had been my LAG I would have found myself as if by magic on a broken tree ... unfortunately I say with certainty that the fault is the server but now enough and that's okay .. we see you definitely next!
But why should I have pressed ESC? I did not notice anything ... I did not have any LAG ... I just thought about a connection lost!

Cheers.
Sorry if this is redundant information for you, but I had a similar question in an older thread and it seems that disabling the "rain drops" feature could increase graphic performance even in dry conditions.

here is my truth
This is interesting. Might be worth showing this and Carlos' video to S397. Traces/log from the race would probably be needed to actually try and find out what happened there.

And indeed does look like a connection issue on his end. Specifically from server to him, but the other way around seemed to work better..

I am aware of that, but thanks.
What CPU and memory do you have? Are you using Post Processing? What are your settings for cars visible?

On my old system with an i7-4790, I usually had drops at start to the 30-40 range, with a GTX 1070. GPU was nowhere to its limits, the CPU seemed to be bottlenecking the game.

(Just to follow up - I spent a few hours today tweaking the config, and I just had 35 AI car race on Sebring with 16 visible cars and quite acceptable settings in general with pretty much solid 60 fps, with CPU running at around 60 % usage. Would be interesting to see how would it hold up in an online race, but now seems pretty solid for offline.)

Apologies for the late post-race round up for last week's event - I was "out of the office" for most of the weekend, and have not had a chance to post anything up until now. :redface:

It was certainly an interesting race - I for one had great fun, in spite of the difficulties caused predominantly by the circuit, but I know that there are a few who did not enjoy themselves quite as much, especially after the incident(s) that occurred at the start, in the first few corners.

I will start by addressing the trouble that unfolded on the opening lap, and begin by apologising to those of you who were affected. I can say, with a degree of confidence, that the server was not at fault for the incident(s), otherwise more (probably all participants) would have been affected; but that is not to say that the server was completely innocent. Having watched the numerous videos posted after the event it appears as though there may have been some 'warping' (client-side issue, caused by spikes in CPU usage), and also 'synchronisation' problems (client/server issue, caused either by the rate at which data was being transferred between clients and the server, or clients' network connections) which resulted in 'lagging'. It looks incredibly strange, and as @Tero Dahlberg has suggested these videos should be forwarded to Marcel and Studio 397 for analysis. If anybody does get in touch then please let me know, and I will also be more than happy to provide the log file from the server as it might be helpful. I would contact Studio 397 myself, but I am incredibly busy at the moment - my apologies.

Going back to the point about 'synchronisation' problems, it's possible that this issue was caused by both the server and client, as has been suggested; it appears as if the client was successfully sending updates to the server (and other clients could see this), but not successfully receiving all updates sent by the server (which would explain the lagging, and why cars were disappearing for the client). If the server upload rate was hitting the maximum limit then more people would have been affected, so I do not think that this was the fault. It is more likely the rate at which clients were downloading updates from the server was the cause of the issue. Other participants did not see these client lag so the upload from the client to the server must not have been an issue.

In such situations, the affected client does not necessarily need to leave the server, or even stop their car (at least not immediately), but they ought to slow down just in case a car suddenly appears in front or alongside when the server and client have successfully synchronised.

Given the number of participants in this event, it is not surprising that such an issue occurred, not only from a network point of view (and the amount of data being passed from the server to clients), but also from a resource point of view. As I mentioned in TeamSpeak, during the practice session, and also above, CPU spikes also appear to have been causing micro-stutters and warping, due to the amount of processing being performed by clients, not only for their car but also those around them. Most (if not all) significant processing operations performed by rFactor 2 are client-side, hence the high CPU usage even when racing online. Sebring seems to be very resource hungry, almost certainly due to the amount of detail that it encompasses; the characteristics of the track surface are like nothing we have ever seen before in rFactor 2 (at least not legitimately), and I firmly believe that this resulted in high CPU usage and spikes. I am of the opinion that several of the bumps and scrapes, which ultimately lead to the pile-up at the beginning of the race, can be attributed to the track and the number of drivers.

Going back to the race, I would like to thank everyone who took part, and in spite of the problems I hope that you also had fun! :) I was thankfully able to dodge most of the spinning cars in the first lap melee, and found myself 8 places to the good after the first lap. It was a tough race, not least because I am not the quickest of drivers and I was constantly being chased down, but also the sheer amount of concentration and focus required to keep the car between the white lines at this circuit was just astounding. I was definitely more mentally fatigued than physically fatigued after the race (not that I am ever really physically fatigued, but you do start to feel a bit achy after a while). In the opening stages I was having a great battle with @Theo van den Brink, and a few other drivers (I was so tired by the end that I cannot remember who exactly I fought with), before he binned it at the exit of Sunset Bend. At that point I thought that it was going to be a fairly quiet race for me, but I too had an incident (thankfully it was only small) and along came @xiqui to keep me company until the closing stages of the race when his tyres seemed to go off. We were having a great tussle before he started to fall behind, and I then realised that I might not have enough fuel to make it to the end of the race. :unsure: @Steve Le Gallez was hot on my heels, but thankfully I was able to hold out with a little bit of lifting and coasting on my penultimate lap. Another half a lap and it would have been game over for me! :whistling: The chequered flag came just in time, and I was able to bring the car home in 18th place, which, for me at least, was a decent result. Definitely one of my best drives in a very long time (excluding the Bathurst 1000GT event), and hopefully the first of many more. :rolleyes:

I look forward to driving with many of you again in the endurance club event, at Circuit Paul Ricard, at the end of the week. :D Hopefully there are fewer issues this time... :cautious: See you again on Friday folks! :thumbsup:

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 106 69.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 31 20.3%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 33 21.6%