The Elephant in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I want to share a concern that I have about AMS2. It does not seem to be discussed, but when comparing how many player actually play the game, I am very worried this game will get any traction ever. It is no just less than other SIM, it is very very little, particularly as it is new.

I would love to hear what Reiza think of the abysmally small amount of user.

Screenshot (7).jpg

How many use a game does not reflect on how good it is, AMS2 is good, but not having user, hence no money coming in has to be some how worry some for Reiza and by consequence to existing user.

By all the coverage here in RD and all the superlative in this thread, you could be tempted to think that this is the next big thing for SIM racer. Not so much, why is their not more players?

Not too surprised by these graphs. Some people are using the beta thus not counted, but that's probably not a lot more. I think it will slowly grow over time as the game is polished and more popular content introduced. Still, it will probably never reach super high numbers, which I think is expected and OK. It's indeed positionned in a niche within a niche. Simracers are very conservative and really like lapping their GT3 over and over at Spa/Monza. Or whatever obscure or not so obscure mod in AC.
And there's now rF2 which is a very strong contender with the recent updates, and IMHO still has the better FFB and physics, although AMS2 is no slouch either.
Simracers have so many choices these days while being a small crowd, that everything is diluted.

Proper championship would give a boost too. The implementation of custom rosters, drivers, talent and liveries would be the true numbers in my opinion. We'll never know where AMS2 is properly until these things they've committed to are implemented and working, along with the more popular content like GT3.

None of this really surprises me.
Majority of simracers claimed AMS was one of the greatest sims available yet no one ever played it.
In its current state it's already got more people playing than the original which excited me.

It simply isint mainstream content, which for me I quit enjoy and find very refreshing.
I am excited for the GT4 content but not so much the GT3....ya it will increase numbers for a bit....than the complaints will start rolling in that we need this and that boring GT/F1 track to race on and this doesn't feel like ACC, ACC does this better etc. etc.
As long as RD's weekly race stay populated and keep going I am happy, even than for what I payed for it I've gotten my money worth with the 50hrs of game play.

Every single title has had a peak at launch than declined shortly after than as things improve the numbers start to climb.

Let's not forget that we are entering the summer which usually drop the mp sim racing numbers which you can see in steam charts as the only 2 titles to gain player counts over may/June are PC2 & Rfactor2 the others have dropped over a 1000+ in there peak player counts.

As said there is still a ways to go and alot of polishing still needed but it will get there.

Last edited:
After the boom of Lockdown for Sims there's a gradual decline across the board now that (most places in...) the World is slowly getting back to normal, add the above mentioned Summer, first release issues and lack of exposure then you get to see that AMS2 will have lower numbers.

I'm confident it will grow over time, but I doubt it'll ever get on par with RaceRoom & RF2, of course I'd love it too though!

I enjoy the ffb in some cars, but others are just plain wonky. Take the Camaro SS for instance. I realize the car is currently designated as WIP. So, I am not knocking Reiza for the current state. But, lotsa folks have driven these in real life. I have been driving the 6th gen Camaro SS for the last few years. I can tell you In real life the car is quick and planted. It holds corners like nobody's business. And, if you ask it to drift, it will in a surprisingly controlled manner. In AMS 2, on the other hand, it drives like a slimy worm. Get on the gas and it tries to turn 90 degrees on you. This is one of those cars that will set the bar for AMS 2 because many ACTUALLY drive the car and all of them WILL naturally compare it to its real life counterpart. Right now that comparison is not good. Once they get it right, I'll be investing a LOT more time in AMS 2.

After the boom of Lockdown for Sims there's a gradual decline across the board now that (most places in...) the World is slowly getting back to normal, add the above mentioned Summer, first release issues and lack of exposure then you get to see that AMS2 will have lower numbers.

I'm confident it will grow over time, but I doubt it'll ever get on par with RaceRoom & RF2, of course I'd love it too though!

On a positive note AMS 2 peak player count in the first month of 690 surpassed both RRE and RF2 launches.....both those titles took 4 yrs after release to reach 690 so not too far off lol

I am sure I sound like a bit of a fan boy, but trust me there are several things I've questioned and criticized regarding this title.
In general I feel they could have done alot better on a V1 release and I feel the the DLC season pass is insanely overpriced $135 cad for not really telling us officially of what we are getting gt3/4 aside.

On a positive note AMS 2 peak player count in the first month of 690 surpassed both RRE and RF2 launches.....both those titles took 4 yrs after release to reach 690 so not too far off lol

I am sure I sound like a bit of a fan boy, but trust me there are several things I've questioned and criticized regarding this title.
In general I feel they could have done alot better on a V1 release and I feel the the DLC season pass is insanely overpriced $135 cad for not really telling us officially of what we are getting gt3/4 aside.

yeah well RF2 was already released long before Steam so that was more a transition over a longer period so can't really compare (unsure on RR though), it is interesting however to go back over the years and see a general increase in players across all Sims. Shows that Sim Racing is becoming more popular, the recent Covid Boom certainly helped matters of course.

Opening some kind of skinning mod seems legal and fine to me? The sim would be so much enhanced with skins in the livery menu and in the game. Can't see what legal barriers this would break, so long as they weren't sold.

They've committed to custom championships with custom driver rosters and talents and custom liveries. I'm just waiting for implementation. So good news (hopefully)! There's just a bit of waiting...

It's on par with AMS.
Not sure why some thought a new engine, better graphics and the addition of vr with basically the same Brazilian content was gonna make it a mainstream contender when the original wasn't that populated?
If AMS could survive off those numbers and allow them to start this project, I am sure there is nothing to be concerned about.

Until Reiza follows the rest and goes with non brazilian content it will be a niche within a niche with a small dedicated player base.

In my dream world my ultimate title would be....
SMS allowing Reiza to remaster PC2, add there physics/ffb and a new sound engine and merge AMS2 content into it :)

Last edited:
2 month later, still very few engaging in AMS2, are we still waiting or is it time to admit it is going to be hard for AMS2?

How long did it take for AC? RF2 isn't up to spec and that's been going years. If you don't like AMS2 and don't want to give it time then that's fine, but this was normal for AMS1 so I'd be surprised if similar numbers make AMS2 a 'failure'. I'm happy to wait if it means AMS2 does what it does better than anyone else.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

AC started with 1.5K peak players and never dipped below that number.
But simracing landscape was different in 2013, and AC was a true phenomena for its time.

It's on par with AMS.
AMS2 users are clearly European. Peak AMS2 players occurs in the European peak time while the AMS1 peak clearly continues to be in the Brazilian peak time.

To me, this suggests that the price tag and/or hardware requirements are slowing any Brazilian migration to AMS2. As time goes by, I expect a gradual migration will swell the total AMS2 ranks to be more than AMS1 provided the current European contingent does not jump ship.

Us Americans appear to still be fixated on AC & iRacing (sigh), however since I'm currently not using multiplayer, I guess I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Along with others, I think AMS2 is currently pretty much AMS(1) with better graphics. I am hoping with the advent of GT3/GT4 vehicles in October this might improve their "ratings". High priced DLC's doesnt help .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 105 69.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 39 25.7%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 32 21.1%