Cars The Need For Speed

Thanks, it's probably the facelift given the lights (side is joined to the front with a black corner, amber light nearest to the wheel), and no black trim. Tbf, as a kid growing up in the 80s, I prefer the one being modeled.
Strangely, in the game, the rear looks like its from the 1st gen C4, the one with round taillights :)

c4rear.png
They look a bit squarish at top and bottom in the original 3DO version, but who knows? It's all so low res, and the YT clip being stretched from 4:3 to 16:9 doesn't help. OTH on PC clips they look more rounded at the top.
I presume the interior dash foto for the cockpit view is from the pre-facelift car in the clip.

Last edited:
In a way, I find these single material previews more exciting to look at because you can truly see the work that went into the car. As you know, sometimes you can fake it by using a texture/bitmap to simulate something modeled. With these renders you see exactly how incredibly detailed the models are. Or, in your case, how detailed your finished PCH track or LA Canyons track is.

I hope some day you decide to do a timelapse video modeling a car from start to finish, @A3DR. I learn so much better when I can see something done, rather than told told what to do. I just love your work so much.

Thanks man, I always wanted to do a timelapse of one of my cars (and make good use of the 80+ files I save progressively), but I need to take the time to do it and I usually find myself doing more 3D work instead :D

Yeah I also agree with how much can be done with normal maps... and detail textures... and even the alpha channels. I've started finding the diffuse less important though... Just a basic colour / shade map... But it is interesting when you get them all in sync what a difference it makes.

Lots can be done in AC through alpha channels and detail maps, it's only a matter of thinking outside the box and be creative, not always an easy task.

@Some1 that's amazing progress on the Vette, looks real smooth. For me it's the right choice of model, so no need to change anything IMO.

Been at it with the Viper, getting the interior near completion. Thanks to @9kret9 for making these wonderful gauges from vectors, so clean and good looking in 4k it was worth adding that texture for these previews.

(pics galore!)

screenshot011.jpg
screenshot010.jpg
screenshot009.jpg
screenshot008.jpg
screenshot007.jpg
screenshot006.jpg
screenshot005.jpg
screenshot004.jpg

Now thats a car ! The look of that Viper basically got me into cars back in the day. Also the 300SLR.

Viper looks so nasty, the interior is so good, doesn't even need textures, it is already as sexy as it can be :)

Thanks man, I always wanted to do a timelapse of one of my cars (and make good use of the 80+ files I save progressively), but I need to take the time to do it and I usually find myself doing more 3D work instead :D

Lots can be done in AC through alpha channels and detail maps, it's only a matter of thinking outside the box and be creative, not always an easy task.

@Some1 that's amazing progress on the Vette, looks real smooth. For me it's the right choice of model, so no need to change anything IMO.

Been at it with the Viper, getting the interior near completion. Thanks to @9kret9 for making these wonderful gauges from vectors, so clean and good looking in 4k it was worth adding that texture for these previews.

(pics galore!)

View attachment 239953 View attachment 239954 View attachment 239955 View attachment 239956 View attachment 239957 View attachment 239958 View attachment 239959 View attachment 239960
Just WOW.

Wow, thanks :D Nice to see those coming to life.

The interior looks amazing, can't wait too see that beast in game :)

Once all the categories are complete, maybe a series of races in each class could be arranged on RD.

you know between your other cars, this and the RSS i already sent all the money i earned with the caterham XD

also, the day there is a decent VR system, your cars will be a whole new experience...
can't wait to see what you do with the 993, and jumping ahead, if the GT2 offer still stands, i'm interested :)

I could go on and on about how delicious this car is turning out to be...but, I'll save a few praises for other people and just list a couple favorites.

I love that you modelled the round concave finger grooves on the stereo buttons!! :D So awesome... And I'm loving how you made the cover of the parking brake arm bent/crinkled instead of perfectly unmolested. Brilliant! All that's missing now is a few cassette tapes on the passenger seat. G N' R Appetite for Destruction & Pearl Jam Ten anyone? :laugh:

@9kret9 - Awesome job on the dials. Bad dials can destroy the interior for me. My driver's view at 30° has me very close to the dashboard and I'm constantly glancing down. :thumbsup: :cool:

Thanks guys, yes the 993 GT2 offer still stands, so that'll be an awesome project on itself, having the two cars side by side on the same game..!

On the Viper, these are the last previews before texturing. It's only missing the details at the rear (and the fuel cap due to symmetry reasons) right now but the rest is done, @215k triangles it's looking good. Might do the hardtop as an option, will have to look into it.

screenshot016.jpg

screenshot018.jpg

screenshot017.jpg

screenshot012.jpg

screenshot014.jpg

screenshot015.jpg

Thanks guys, yes the 993 GT2 offer still stands, so that'll be an awesome project on itself, having the two cars side by side on the same game..!

On the Viper, these are the last previews before texturing. It's only missing the details at the rear (and the fuel cap due to symmetry reasons) right now but the rest is done, @215k triangles it's looking good. Might do the hardtop as an option, will have to look into it.

View attachment 240110
View attachment 240108
View attachment 240109
View attachment 240113
View attachment 240112
View attachment 240111
Very nice. Will 215k tris be the highest lod ingame, or are you going to optimize this still?

Please do.
The RT/10 that you are modeling is plenty cool, but the GTS is drop dead sexy.

No I didn't say "Coupe", I've said hardtop as an optional roof, this will be turned off by default and can be turned on from the setup
screenshot013.jpg

Very nice. Will 215k tris be the highest lod ingame, or are you going to optimize this still?

There's not much to optimize, 250k is the usual budget so there's still room left to smooth some edges or add detail.

I actually think it looks cooler with that roof panel installed. You may recall the red '96 I posted earlier in the thread also had the roof panel on during the exhibition. Very cool you included that!

I almost decide to left it out, but I've thought it'll be nice at least to make the factory option. There are other aftermarket rooftops for it but the original looks the best to me.

1B3BR65E5RV102305_f7e6373051d5326a.jpg

This looks weird for example, covering the A pillars and completely changes the flow of the car:
3357f39db426cdf52ed306ee1ebe3de2.jpg

The 2nd phase hardtop looks a bit cooler with more headroom, but I'm sticking to the first windowless design
s-l1600 (48).jpg

There was also the soft top with window covers, what a mess
Convertible-Top-Tonneau-Soft-Canvas-Cover-Bag-Dodge-Viper-RT-10-Gen-1-1992-96-272411106813-11.jpg

You mentioned there you put in a switch to allow for turning the roof on/off via the setup. Would something like a sunroof/windows open/closed also be possible to toggle via the setup? It would be a shame if the 8 series would only roll around with windows closed given the most iconic design feature is the missing b pillar when windows are down...

You mentioned there you put in a switch to allow for turning the roof on/off via the setup. Would something like a sunroof/windows open/closed also be possible to toggle via the setup? It would be a shame if the 8 series would only roll around with windows closed given the most iconic design feature is the missing b pillar when windows are down...

There is an 850csi planned ????????????????????

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 422 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 265 43.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.6%
Back