Thinking of Switching to a Super Ultrawide Monitor

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 49-inch 32:9 Super Ultrawide Curved Monitor, but have a few questions about them:

1. My present monitor's native resolution is 2560x1080 at 144mhz. What's the native resolution of a 49 inch 32:9 monitor? No matter what it is, it'll display lots more pixels than my present monitor, so would my GeForce 1660Ti video card still suffice?

2. What radius curvature is best for sim racing, in order to maximize the immersion without unnecessarily introducing undue distortion?

3. Do all current popular sims (AC, ACC, R3E, rF2, AMS2 Beta, PC2, Dirt Rally2, iRacing etc) all support displaying in 32:9?

4. Any drawbacks to going this route?

I'd love to hear from anyone who uses one of these beasts for their sim racing!

Thanks!
Bert

hi theres a few different types of monitors out there at that size you need to find out which one you want, i would say you will require an upgrade on the graphics card i would think
Samsung C49RG90 49 5120 x 1440
that would require 2080 to run you might have to turn down a few settings
Samsung C49HG90 49" 3840 x 1080
you might get away with that, but coming from 1440p i wouldnt want to go back to 1080p
you might be better to hold off and wait for the new graphics cards from nvidia and then get the 1440p thats what i would do .

Upvote 0
I bought from a few days the Samsung C49HG90 49", Full HD, HDR, 3840 x 1080, 1 ms, 32: 9, 144 Hz of the curvature from 1800R.
This monitor for me is truly spectacular, you have a complete dive! There is no comparison with my old 27 " FHD monitor. I have a GeForce 2080.
With this monitor I play iRacing, AC, DirtRally, RaceRoom (I don't know for the other games but I think it works for everyone).
There's also the C49RG90 with a 5120 x 1440 and 120 Hz resolution, but I don't know if your 1660Ti can hold this monitor.
Forgive my English

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 49-inch 32:9 Super Ultrawide Curved Monitor, but have a few questions about them:

1. My present monitor's native resolution is 2560x1080 at 144mhz. What's the native resolution of a 49 inch 32:9 monitor? No matter what it is, it'll display lots more pixels than my present monitor, so would my GeForce 1660Ti video card still suffice?

2. What radius curvature is best for sim racing, in order to maximize the immersion without unnecessarily introducing undue distortion?

3. Do all current popular sims (AC, ACC, R3E, rF2, AMS2 Beta, PC2, Dirt Rally2, iRacing etc) all support displaying in 32:9?

4. Any drawbacks to going this route?

I'd love to hear from anyone who uses one of these beasts for their sim racing!

Thanks!
Bert
I own the lower res C49HG90 49" 3840 x 1080 powered by a GTX 1070, which should be equal to your 1660TI. I exclusively run ACC at the moment. I would consider this the most taxing sim on the system of the sims you listed (I stand to be corrected).

This monitor has a low dpi rate of sub 100. I have it aprox. 65cm away from my eyes and run native resolution (with supersampling x2.00). The GTX 1070 can run the game just fine that way at fixed 60FPS, full opponent count, rain, night. There are a few important tweaks ingame, but it doesn't take away too much eye candy.

Be aware that objects farther away from the viewpoint get pixely faster than on a 1440p setup. Even with supersampling the amount of physically available pixels does not increase. So if you're coming from 1440p you might be a bit disappointed.
Ingame there is a distortion correction, which set on 1.0, gives a non-distorted picture in 32:9.

If you all set up correctly you might not miss a triples setup, which has different drawbacks.
If I would have the funds for a 2080TI I would go for the C49RG90 49 5120 x 1440.
With your current card this might work as well, but with heavy mods to the GFX settings. I would think at least ACC looks crap that way.

You could buy the 1440p 32:9 monitor now and upgrade the GFX later and run in sub-native res in the meantime. I would make that dependent on current monitor prices and how likely it is that I would upgrade in the next 2 years.

Cheers, Rob

Upvote 0
I have the CRG90 you definitely want to go for it over the older CHG90. You can run it at the same res as the older one (3840x1080) no problem but you get the added benefit of the screen being better. If/when you upgrade then you can bump up the res to 5120x1440.

I have a 1080Ti and the modern games I can’t run at that res maxed like AC Odyssey I just knock down and it’s similar to 1440p performance cost whereas full-res is nearly the same as 4K.

Also just to note there is a new Samsung being released though not sure when now but they have shown it might be worth waiting for the specs or a bigger reduction on the CRG9 when it does release.

Upvote 0
I agree, for around 200 quid more I'd go for the higher res one (just checked prices here in Germany).
Back when I bought mine the difference was much bigger.

Upvote 0
I have the CRG90 you definitely want to go for it over the older CHG90. You can run it at the same res as the older one (3840x1080) no problem but you get the added benefit of the screen being better. If/when you upgrade then you can bump up the res to 5120x1440.

I have a 1080Ti and the modern games I can’t run at that res maxed like AC Odyssey I just knock down and it’s similar to 1440p performance cost whereas full-res is nearly the same as 4K.

Also just to note there is a new Samsung being released though not sure when now but they have shown it might be worth waiting for the specs or a bigger reduction on the CRG9 when it does release.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! But what do mean by "the screen being better"? - Higher resolution? If so, would I even be able to take advantage of that at all without upgrading my GPU (1660Ti - 6 Gig VRAM with a i7-7700 CPU)?

Or will I only be able to run my sims at - say - my current 2560x1080 to get good framerates? (By "good", I mean 80-90 fps with fields of up to 15 cars - I almost never run full fields.). And would 2560x1080 seem blurry due to the monitor's size?

(And what is "AC Odyssey"? Do you mean ACC?)

And what is "Freesync"? Should that even be a consideration at all?

Looking for the CRG90 based upon the recommendations made in this thread and I came upon this offer from Amazon for a returned one. Note that the actual price is 20% below what it's listed at.

Do you think that this is a good deal?

With the current "self-isolating" situation we're dealing with here, I plan to spend more time on sim-racing and want to treat myself. :)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! But what do mean by "the screen being better"? - Higher resolution? If so, would I even be able to take advantage of that at all without upgrading my GPU (1660Ti - 6 Gig VRAM with a i7-7700 CPU)?

Or will I only be able to run my sims at - say - my current 2560x1080 to get good framerates? (By "good", I mean 80-90 fps with fields of up to 15 cars - I almost never run full fields.). And would 2560x1080 seem blurry due to the monitor's size?

(And what is "AC Odyssey"? Do you mean ACC?)

And what is "Freesync"? Should that even be a consideration at all?

Looking for the CRG90 based upon the recommendations made in this thread and I came upon this offer from Amazon for a returned one. Note that the actual price is 20% below what it's listed at.

Do you think that this is a good deal?

With the current "self-isolating" situation we're dealing with here, I plan to spend more time on sim-racing and want to treat myself. :)

Thanks
So because it’s higher res even 3840x1080 will look better on it than on the older model as it has higher PPI (pixels per inch). Just like how on phones as the res has got higher it’s harder/impossible now to see the screen pixels. Additionally the newer model can do HDR1000 which very few monitors support and its freesync 2 works a lot better with Nvidia cards (less flickering issues).

Freesync is just the open source version of gsync that Nvidia has finally made available for use on Nvidia cards, so variable refresh rates, very handy for reducing input lag even further.

As for framerates I’m running Forza 7 and Horizon 4 and AMS maxed at native res with a 1080Ti and it runs fine so I don’t think you’d have issues dropping it down to 3840x1080, it would only be like having one more 4:3 screen next to yours now.

I haven’t tried any of the ones you listed with it simply because they all have VR support but certainly just running it at what is essentially 75% res (3840x1080) is much easier to do than VR.

Oh and AC is Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Upvote 0
So because it’s higher res even 3840x1080 will look better on it than on the older model as it has higher PPI (pixels per inch). Just like how on phones as the res has got higher it’s harder/impossible now to see the screen pixels. Additionally the newer model can do HDR1000 which very few monitors support and its freesync 2 works a lot better with Nvidia cards (less flickering issues).

Freesync is just the open source version of gsync that Nvidia has finally made available for use on Nvidia cards, so variable refresh rates, very handy for reducing input lag even further.

As for framerates I’m running Forza 7 and Horizon 4 and AMS maxed at native res with a 1080Ti and it runs fine so I don’t think you’d have issues dropping it down to 3840x1080, it would only be like having one more 4:3 screen next to yours now.

I haven’t tried any of the ones you listed with it simply because they all have VR support but certainly just running it at what is essentially 75% res (3840x1080) is much easier to do than VR.

Oh and AC is Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Thanks for the additional info!

I did some research and compiled my typical FPS numbers on my current monitor - a 34" 21x9 LG running at 2560x1080.

15 Opponents - Racing against AI (which is typical for me):

ACC: 85 FPS
AC: 105 FPS
AMS2 Beta: 115 FPS
rF2: 75 FPS
r3E: 85 FPS

If I were to upgrade to the CHG90, running it at it's native res of 3840x1080, what would you estimate my FPS to be in these sims - everything else being equal?

(FWIW -After thinking it over, I don't plan on upgrading the GPU anytime soon, so I think that the higher res (and higher cost) CRG90 would be overkill on my system.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the additional info!

I did some research and compiled my typical FPS numbers on my current monitor - a 34" 21x9 LG running at 2560x1080.

15 Opponents - Racing against AI (which is typical for me):

ACC: 85 FPS
AC: 105 FPS
AMS2 Beta: 115 FPS
rF2: 75 FPS
r3E: 85 FPS

If I were to upgrade to the CRG90, what would you estimate my FPS to be in these sims - everything else being equal?

Thanks!
If you were going direct pixel count difference then it would take 1/3 of your frame rate, however I’m not sure if it would be that much in cockpit view where you’d mostly see more cockpit.
I’d hope they used some environmental culling techniques to not render things the cockpit blocks but not entirely sure.

That being said as long as the frame rate is above 48fps freesync will always be active and you shouldn’t notice the frame rate dropping.

Upvote 0
If you were going direct pixel count difference then it would take 1/3 of your frame rate, however I’m not sure if it would be that much in cockpit view where you’d mostly see more cockpit.
I’d hope they used some environmental culling techniques to not render things the cockpit blocks but not entirely sure.

That being said as long as the frame rate is above 48fps freesync will always be active and you shouldn’t notice the frame rate dropping.

Oooh - 1/3 would be quite a hit. I race rF2 online and I'm already only at 75 with my typical field size.

I've got to give this more thought.... Thanks!

Upvote 0
Oooh - 1/3 would be quite a hit. I race rF2 online and I'm already only at 75 with my typical field size.

I've got to give this more thought.... Thanks!
Looking at some benchmarks of PCars 2 at 1440p (worse performance than AMS2 Beta from my testing) a GTX1060 on medium settings averages about 83fps so with the right settings at 3840x1080 I think you’d be fine and the increased power of a 1660Ti.

Especially in sims it’s usually the CPU holding things back in A.I races, have you had a MSI Afterburner running or something similar to check?

Upvote 0
Looking at some benchmarks of PCars 2 at 1440p (worse performance than AMS2 Beta from my testing) a GTX1060 on medium settings averages about 83fps so with the right settings at 3840x1080 I think you’d be fine and the increased power of a 1660Ti.

Especially in sims it’s usually the CPU holding things back in A.I races, have you had a MSI Afterburner running or something similar to check?
I don't know what "MSI Afterburner" is, but if you're asking whether my CPU is overclocked, the answer is no. (And I have no interest in overclocking it either since it's an i7-7700 and NOT the i7-7700k.)

And - to finally clarify in my mind - what resolution is "1440p"? - 2560x1080 or something else?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I don't know what "MSI Afterburner" is, but if you're asking whether my CPU is overclocked, the answer is no. (And I have no interest in overclocking it either since it's an i7-7700 and NOT the i7-7700k.)

And - to finally clarify in my mind - what resolution is "1440p"? - 2560x1080 or something else?

Thanks again!
No it’s basically a tool you can use the see the frame rate, and performance of the CPU, GPU, RAM etc. and see what % is being utilised.

1440p is 2560x1440 basically if you multiply the numbers it will give you how many pixels each resolution takes to run.

I'm sorry for hijacking, but would you take an ultrawide over a TV with similar width but added height?
I have a 65” OLED with much better picture quality but for the purpose of sim racing I prefer the monitor.

The thing is running a 55” TV with the same FOV would look far too zoomed out if you went like for like unless you had the screen so low you couldn’t see it anyway. Getting more vertical FOV is kind of pointless as for the most part you are only going to see more cockpit or more sky which you really don’t need.

Also with a higher FOV to match you’d also be getting a max resolution of 3840x1080 in the same frame which would match the old CHG90 but is less than the CRG9.

Upvote 0
No it’s basically a tool you can use the see the frame rate, and performance of the CPU, GPU, RAM etc. and see what % is being utilised.

1440p is 2560x1440 basically if you multiply the numbers it will give you how many pixels each resolution takes to run.

I have a 65” OLED with much better picture quality but for the purpose of sim racing I prefer the monitor.

The thing is running a 55” TV with the same FOV would look far too zoomed out if you went like for like unless you had the screen so low you couldn’t see it anyway. Getting more vertical FOV is kind of pointless as for the most part you are only going to see more cockpit or more sky which you really don’t need.

Also with a higher FOV to match you’d also be getting a max resolution of 3840x1080 in the same frame which would match the old CHG90 but is less than the CRG9.

Do me a favour, do a thread on using the OLED with custom resolutions.
Let us see 21:9 based resolutions on such a display with even comparisons to the 32:9 with sim titles
As we shift from 16:9 - 21:9 - 32:9, obviously we get more perspective but with this does it also not mean more image distortion at the edges?

The G9 coming 2nd half of 2020 (if not delayed) will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am looking at buying a 49" Curved SUWD monitor and would be happy with 3840x1080 as it is better then my current $30 AUD TV running 1920x1080@60Hz. I have noticed with my MSI 1660Ti that I am dropping down to 60ish FPS in the AC benchmark.(settings are maxed)

Anyone else with a 1660Ti running a 49" SUWD and what is your minimum FPS in AC at 3840x1080@100Hz+

Would love to know whether to buy a new screen or get a new card and screen at the same time. Leaving it longer only means I stand to save money but I badly want a bigger display for online racing and nothing seems to immerse better for me then a 49" running a 32:9 aspect ratio.

My ideal goal is to maintain as close to 100 FPS minimum and run 100Hz+ at 32:9 aspect on AC & ACC.

Any assistance appreciated :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 290 34.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 234 27.9%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 155 18.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 8.0%