Today Microsoft shuts down Windows 7

After 10 years Microsoft does "retire" Windows 7.

So many does still use Windows 7:
Worldwide 39% of Windows users use Windows 10 - while 37% still run Windows 7.

And then there are 4.5% who stubbornly hold on to Windows XP, while just as many have Windows 8.1 installed.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: 2019 was the Blade Runner year where Deckard did "retire" replicants.:(

I just repaved my Win 7 Development system with Windows 10 on Saturday.

I literally built up a tower just 2 months after Windows 7 was released and I've replaced every single piece of that computer over nearly a decade except my keyboard, but it's been running Window 7 that entire time.

After all this time I have to say I was a bit nervous about it and it is going to cost me a bit more now that I have to buy new or get software as a service now for some things that have worked perfectly for me for many years.

I had a copy of Photoshop CS 4 that I had been using since July of 2010. Now I'm looking at 10/mon to get similar functionality. I was still running Office 2010, now I have to move to Office 365 as a service, etc..

FYI an upgrade didn't work. I had no choice but to completely repave. Fortunately I have a Windows 10 development laptop that I've had a couple years I can work off of while I continue to get this computer completely setup again.

Hehe I will not "retire" my Win7:inlove: before I buy a pair of VR goggles:roflmao: - and therefore have to.
But it will probably not be before Pimax have released the 8KX - for real:roflmao:
And some unbiased reviewers have given thumbs up.:sneaky:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I saw the MS retire Win7 in a danish IT magazine. And the mag told all fancy stories about how unsafe Win7 will become overnight. Hehe and I had a good laugh because after my orig install of Win7 Ulti incl a few upd(10) I have never installed any updates. And even without any goofy antivirus thingies I have never had any nasties on my lil puter.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

EDIT:
I had a copy of Photoshop CS 4 that I had been using since July of 2010.
Sounds a bit pirating:sneaky::roflmao::sneaky:

I purchased Photoshop including and many upgrades before it was Photoshop CS. Typically I would upgrade every other release. I don't pirate software. I just wasn't interested in their subscription service. Fortunately they have a less expensive subscription just for photographers that just includes Photoshop, Lightroom and some image management software. I use an NLE, but it isn't Premiere Pro so that would have been a real waste.

I've been running Windows 10 on my gaming computer and my laptop for many years. I have no problem with Windows 10. I just hate that I have to start paying for subscription services when I have software that worked perfectly well for me.

• Deleted member 197115

You can still get DVD Lightroom 6 if you are lucky. CS6 is also available but could be very expensive and harder to find.
And yes, subscription service sucks.

You can still get DVD Lightroom 6 if you are lucky. CS6 is also available but could be very expensive and harder to find.
And yes, subscription service sucks.

I guess it depends. PS used to cost a few hundred dollars, so a subscription breaks even in about 3 years, plus you get Lightroom. "IF" you were upgrading PS with every new release, it could be worth it. I prefer to own my software.

Unfortunately like with MS Office at some point the features that they are adding don't help you and they just keep moving things around, so it ends up hurting you as well.

The main reason to upgrade is so that you maintain compatibility. I do business process automation for a living and I really wish I could use the great tools that I have in front of me, but I end up getting stuck writing JavaScript for piles of things which is a huge step backwards. Not only that but people keep changing the JavaScript libraries that they want to use which is a never ending waste of time to convert things over to the new "best thing since sliced bread".

I can't see the logical anymore unless you use vintage hardware
W10 makes better use of everything
For me the overwhelming thing the desktop looks very dated

Windows 7 user will say GPL and rFactor2 UI look dated .........................Ironic don't ya think ? :coffee:

Interesting. I had no issue running a Win 7 and Win 10 system side by side both with 3 monitors. I never really noticed anything feeling dated. I was running similar tools on both systems. VS 2015, VS 2017, Chrome, Office looks a bit different, but it never mattered.

office_3126.jpg

I have 2 desktop systems - one Windows 7 and one Windows 10 (only because it came pre-installed) plus one laptop on Windows 7 (which rarely, if ever goes online). For those that remember all the dire predictions about Y2K (nothing dire happened), this ending of support for Win 7 is similar. They predicted all kinds of "mayhem", and nothing happened. As then, the world will go on..... If you're really worried about some nasty intrusions entering your Win7 system (I'm not), there's a simple solution - Keep it offline.

If you're one who needs tgo or wants always have the latest updated software, then you should go to Win10. For me, the only software that I keep up-to-date are racing sims, so my racing sim desktop is the one on Win10. Beyond that - if it ain't broke, I don't fix it, so I'm quite happy with Win7 - even now.

I can't see the logical anymore unless you use vintage hardware
W10 makes better use of everything
For me the overwhelming thing the desktop looks very dated

That is totally a personal comment
But you trying to defend your personal opinion is better

I did not do that nor do I care to ;)

Every OS like every sim has + and - for sure

I can't think of a single reason I would make a W7 partition
Like if Grand Prix Legends did not run nice on W10 I would have a XP / W7 tower
probably 95% here think GPL is too " dated" Ironic lol

Keep in mind my comments are directed purely at a sim tower, not for using Office
I don't install Office, Corel, Adobe PS 3dsmax or use unusual programs if i did yeah I would have a W7 tower ;)

:p E

I hung onto W7 longtime before swapping and I swapped back n' forth countless times

Eventually W10 tweaked and all app fixes, drivers got smoother and did everything I needed....so there was no going back what would be the logic in that ? ;)

Now I ask the same question I used to give W10 users when I favoured W7

Why ? ;)

My taskbar wow 2 icons internet and VPN gives you idea how OCD I like things :alien: lol
taskbar.jpg

I don't see running 100s of apps, huge menus or mountains of icons as a badge, just a way to bloat W10 or any other OS process

One problem I have with Win 10 is that it updates itself! :roflmao: Perodically I´ll turn on my computer needing to do something quickly and it´ll go sooooo slow. The reason? It´s in the background secretly downloading its updates, slowing everything down for as long as the PC is switched on. I have to then choose to update and shut down then reboot before it goes back to working as normal.
You can pause updates for 35 days in control panel, but it´d be nice to be presented with a dialogue saying 'There is a new update available, do you wish to download it?´ Not too much to ask... :rolleyes:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Watch party

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 7.7%