Trackir 5

Is Trackir 5 worth it in todays sim or do I need to look at vr? I don't see many YouTubers using it in videos very often.
Would you recommend today or is it outdated?

If you can spare the expense VR absolutely is the way to go. In my (albiet limited) experience with track IR compared to VR you will be vastly underwhelmed IMO. Save the money for triples if not VR

Upvote 0
Don't waste money on TrackIR. You can get a head tracking setup which is at least as good (if not better) - Opentrack. The app is free and, if you want to try it completely free (assuming you have a webcam) you can do so using an Aruco tracker:

If you decide you like it and want more accurate tracking, you can either make your own LED clip (straightforward if you can solder - details are online) or buy one ready-made from the likes of TrackHat or Delan. I use Opentrack and think that it works well in racing and flight sims. For those like me who get bad motion sickness with VR, head tracking is the next best alternative.

Upvote 0
Hi Yasko. I would go VR but if you don't want to for whatever reason/s you may have then, yes, I definitely recommend TrackIR 5 especially for single-screen (even ultrawide monitors). I use it sometimes and I use 3D and triple-screens but it's not a huge deal if I don't have it with triples but with a single screen, it's huge.

You can use those cheap/free webcam head-tracking methods but I'm not sure if any of them are as immediate (lack of lag) as TrackIR 5. The one in the video above certainly looks pretty laggy but if that doesn't bother you, or there are other versions that don't have lag, then go for it.

I found 2 for you on eBay that both have "or best offer" options. Give them an offer and see if you can work something out:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283580143796
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183903047435

Check this out, it's less expensive and seems to do the same or similiar. It's called "S18 - OpenTrack Camera + IR LED Track Clip Pro"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163792135286

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can use those cheap/free webcam head-tracking methods but I'm not sure if any of them are as immediate (lack of lag) as TrackIR 5. The one in the video above certainly looks pretty laggy but if that doesn't bother you, or there are other versions that don't have lag, then go for it.

The other TrackIR alternative, FaceTrackNoIR, can be a little laggy. Opentrack only tends to be a little laggy if you use it with the Aruco tracker (but it's a good, free way to see if head tracking is for you). With an LED clip, there's no difference between Opentrack and TrackIR (I've compared them directly) - they're both instantaneous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, the PS3 cameras are ridiculously cheap. I got mine for 50p from CEX... the guy gave me a bit of an odd look, guess not many people buy them! :D

That, combined with a Delanclip and opentrack, works great. Though for sim racing I found the camera movement a bit disorientating, particularly with oversteer. I tend to use it more for ETS and flight sims.

I use VR for racing, just upgraded to a Valve Index in the last couple of days and it's incredible, a great step up from the Oculus CV1 (which is also amazing if you're not too fussed about the resolution or SDE, which imho the added immersion definitely makes up for)

Upvote 0
I would recommend Trackir only if you have a large tv at least 40 inches/ultra wide monitor at least 34 inches.

Using anything smaller would easily result in your head looking away from the tv/monitor while straining your eyes to look at the centre of your screen. That's just me... I mean you need some screen space to be able to turn your head without straining your eyes. If using a small tv/monitor with trackir then expect to complain.
Also;
Its all about your situation... I chose trackir a couple years ago because at the time vr wasn't ready, I couldn't/can't afford a pc upgrade to support vr, I'm still not confident on spend money on something that still has mixed reviews (even if I had the money), I already own a large 34 inch ultra wide monitor and I knew a monitor this wide would be a match made in heaven with trackir, I would miss seeing and using my button box, tablet (sim dashboard) and sli pro...

Aaaaaaannnnd, I don't want to end up finding myself not using vr like this gentleman

Upvote 0
I would recommend Trackir only if you have a large tv at least 40 inches/ultra wide monitor at least 34 inches.

Using anything smaller would easily result in your head looking away from the tv/monitor while straining your eyes to look at the centre of your screen. That's just me... I mean you need some screen space to be able to turn your head without straining your eyes. If using a small tv/monitor with trackir then expect to complain.
How about playing with sensitivity curves (and possibly deadzones) if using a small monitor?

Upvote 0
That is definitely an option and much needed in most setups.
But the point I'm trying to make is, when using trackir I try to configure the trackir curves and deadzones to allow a good amount of head movement without completely forcing my eyes the other direction.

With a small display, sitting up close, you really don't need to move your head much to look at the sides. So trackir, you would need to configure your trackir to be more sensitive, which will really exaggerate your head movements. This imho is just not comfortable, and I could understand people getting headaches and simply can't get trackir setup good enough to feel natural and comfortable. When racing, you want to look to your apex, check your mirrors and check your pass/driver windows. To do all of this on a small display, I'm pretty sure your trackir settings must be sensitive.

But with bigger and wider displays, again sitting up close, you'll need to turn your head far enough to look at the sides. Therefore, with trackir you can configure its settings to be less sensitive and have more of a natural head movement. This makes setting up trackir easier and faster, as the stock settings should already feel decent on larger displays. Then simply perfect it the way you want.

When I first tried my Trackir, I used it with AMS on my 34 inch wide display... Only settings I changed were "speed" to 0.2 and "smooth" to 2 (while waiting for my trackir to arrive in the mail, I did some research and read I should set speed and smooth that way). And I remember driving almost 10 laps straight with trackir just those minor settings. Looking to apex, checking mirrors and the side windows all just felt natural and responsive! Then I start tweaking the curves and deadzones to exactly how I want.

For a future upgrade, I still might want to continue using trackir, but on an even wider, higher resolution display.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your help. Lots of great information. I just don't think I would like VR because of the head gear, and it would make my 34 ulta obsolete. I'll look into these new options from the forum. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Porsche

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • BMW

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • McLaren

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Toyota

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 5 14.7%