URD eGT mod

The people that are against this mod are only against it for one reason; it isn't free...it doesn't matter when they released it; it doesn't matter if they call one of the models a venom or a viper...people want everything for free and I promise you that even if this mod was only $1 people would still torrent it and would still come up with every excuse why it is the downfall of sim-racing. People are cheap and self entitled nowadays; nothing more and nothing less.

You're wrong. Mods MUST be free. They should let us only pay IF we want to. I don't care how much it costs, it can be 0,01$ i'm not buying it. The whole purpose of mods is that they are FREE.

Surely once you charge for your content, it ceases to be a Mod and becomes a Game?

No-one calls NetKarPro or GameStockCar "Mods" still do they?
Yes they are far more than a few car models, but the principle is the same (though also makes me question the value-for-money aspect).

Mods have always been about the community sharing content with each other for the mutual benefit of each other. It was about the joy of giving back to the community after you've enjoyed the fruits of someone else's labour.
It was inevitable that someone would start trying to make a profit from the same community.
I hope the URD team use all their profits to donate to the free Mods that they will undoubtedly have installed in their games. Though I doubt it, call me cynical if you like.

It's up to the community though.
There will still always be those who give their time and skills to the community out of love and a desire to enhance our shared wealth.
And there will always be those looking to line their own pockets (one might argue cynically targeting a game that many are content-hungry for right now).

Down to the community to decide which suits them best.

You're wrong. Mods MUST be free.
The whole purpose of mods is that they are FREE.
Obviously not so or there wouldn't continue to be paid for mods in various simulators/games.
The purpose of mods is to expand the content of simulators/games, and the pleasure and enjoyment modders give to people is priceless.
Sometimes I think there's to much of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing nowadays.

Surely once you charge for your content, it ceases to be a Mod and becomes a Game?

No-one calls NetKarPro or GameStockCar "Mods" still do they?
Yes they are far more than a few car models, but the principle is the same (though also makes me question the value-for-money aspect).

What kind of logic is that? Content is part of a game, not a game.

What kind of logic is that? Content is part of a game, not a game.

Ok, "Unofficial Expansion pack". The point is still the same.
There should be some kind of separation between what community members create and share for the benefit of everyone, and what people create for profit.

Hmm, sorry i have to say that it's an "ok" mod at best, I've had the opportunity to test it for free, but I do not think it's worth the money, not at all if we look at the current state of AC which does not allow us to drive long races with pit-stops etc, and that is a must for a mod like this. On the other hand, the quality is clearly not on par with AC's. I see lower poly's, lower res textures etc. Yes it's not bad, but not very good either. And as I said, AC's current state lacks the ability to make these cars fun so why put money into it. I already got more free Kunos-build cars since i bought the first available beta, and their quality is absolutely better than these modded cars. So, I got much more for much less from Kunos... I maybe a bit harsh, but I find it an utter selfish act to ask that amount of money for a mod like this, it's just aweful

Ok, "Unofficial Expansion pack". The point is still the same.
There should be some kind of separation between what community members create and share for the benefit of everyone, and what people create for profit.

This seems to be a question of semantics. Whatever you call the content, there is a very clear separation between community creation for the benefit of everyone and for-profit add on to games. That separation is money and presumably quality. The good thing is that we have both, and also have the freedom to access either. I really appreciate both and donate for the free content when I use it.
The only question is whether you have to buy an add on to be a part of a league race or special event and again that is your choice. The same is true of club races where you have to buy a certain game to be a part of those races. If I want to enjoy RF2 races on RD then I still have to purchase the game and if later I want to do a race in A/C with optional content, whether free or not, I have to buy the game and get that content. However, I still have the choice to decide whether I think it is worth the cost or whether I can afford it.

As far as "value" goes I still believe that any game or content you can buy for a racing game has far more value than going to a movie or paying for cable TV etc. I think A/C is a steal, R3E is more expensive but I have all of the available content now and it still only cost about $150 US which is still a good value (certainly that is MY opinion - I know others think it is way overpriced), I-racing may be great but I don't like paying monthly fees for anything so I choose not to do it, etc.etc.

In just over two weeks GTR2 will be 8 years old. One of the things that has helped it to last so long is the modding content available. It's true that then the mods were all free but times have changed and the community has also changed. As has been pointed out by Keith in the previous post, the amount we spend on the software set against the hours of use makes it a cheap hobby. Even if we have to pay for the odd mod or track.

This thread is mind boggling, I can't think of any other product on the planet that you can spend 30 bucks on the base product and then expect free upgrades for the life of that product. The sense of entitlement is alarming and unrealistic. Saying thanks in a thread after downloading a years worth of work is disingenuous at best. If you think free content is a working model for the future of our hobby I have downloadable live unicorns for sale. "That's all I got to say about that" F.G.

People will buy a mod if its worth it and they really want it. But not me. The whole ethos of sim racing on the PC for me is about modding games I have bought. Modders usually do a mod for the good of the community.

I have made mods my self. I have downloaded many more. They have improved my games beyond measure. Modders get a big kick out of making something better for the community. If they suddenly started to be paid for mods, this whole way of PC gaming life would vanish.

Just Look at the quality mods available just on RD for example. Everything from tracks to race helmets, F1 games to Rally.

I say buy em if you want, but I never will.

Just Look at the quality mods available just on RD for example. Everything from tracks to race helmets, F1 games to Rally.

And you can count with the fingers of one hand how many of those cars/tracks (ORIGINAL cars/tracks from scratch, not ripped stuff) is better than URD work.

I've never seen a paid mod in my life. People should boycott such arrogant greedy modders, this is not acceptable.

Yeah incredible, asking for money after spending hundreds of hours creating the models, the skins, physics, etc etc everything from scratch.

What is not acceptable is to post in a public forum without having the single clue of the work involved in the creation of that material. You don't like it? Fine, don't buy. But giving moral lessons and such offensive comments to those who put so much effort on it... lol. Really no words.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 501 68.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 309 42.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 333 45.4%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 163 22.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 197 26.9%
Back