There's something worringly wrong with the mesh. You shouldn't be able to see the road via those "cuts" in the body. They're made for better air dissipation and to keep the brakes cool, but the sides are closed. The body itself looks around 10-15cm raised from the wheels aswell as if it was running a WRC-style gravel setup, but those CNV prototypes are not supposed to have that much free space between the inside of the fenders and the actual wheels.
66d6a35a046c751b5814c1a049749d8a.jpg

I sure hope people thinking of playing V-Rally on their elaborate direct drive setups get their wish, because I find the whole concept to be absolutely hilarious :)

Edit: OK, after watching a few videos, maybe not so much. I was certainly expecting a very different game, given that it's V-Rally.

Last edited:
Can remember funny hours with V-Rally many years ago :)
Transfagarasan is also onboard ;)....
Who let a hovercraft loose over Transfagarasan? :D
I might get it for the track itself though... And maybe the dry tarmac behavior is better. At the very least usually the gravel is where rally titles shine the most anyway (or rather it's tarmac where most of them are woefully bad).

Just like with Americans that drive lifted trucks (or just trucks in general), DD wheels owners also do need to compensate for something, afterall. Just ignore them and move on.
I don't really get that hostility towards DD wheels owners... You certainly don't mind better acoustics, I suppose? FFB wheels are pretty much the same thing. Except with a DD wheel it should be much more of a change than going from cheap speakers to high-end ones. And wanting a DD support is more justified than wanting a VR support. At the very least because you can still use a sim without the HMD, but what's the point of doing that without a wheel?

Personally, I'm not a DD wheel owner and most likely won't ever be due to financial reasons, but I would definitely get one if it was within my reach. Not because I need to "compensate for something", but rather because I'm really tired of the geary stuff, yet I'm not convinced going for the belt would change things much. Not to mention how quick to react a DD wheel should be. If only the prices weren't that silly...

I have no idea where people get off thinking that owners of direct drive wheels (ot other high end gear) are in someway different to other sim racers. How does a logical mind come to that conclusion? I would think that it would be safe to assume that anyone willing to spend time and money on something as non-essential as a direct drive wheel for the purpose of enjoying their hobby to the fullest (subjective opinion) would at least be afforded the opportunity to experience ALL sim racing has to offer. Or at least as much of it as someone that owns a G27. Just because I want to play V-Rally and I own a DD wheel doesn't mean I should be forced to play it with a pad.

Wow, some of that attitude makes me thankful the time zones make it impractical for me to participate in actual races here.

It's ridiculous. I've even been on threads where I've actively told people if you already have something like a CSW V2.5 then going for DD over upgrading something else is probably not in their best interest. But anyway, it seems that asking for titles that support basic functions used decades ago is enough to bring out the hate brigade.

I really don't care when titles like Forza come to PC and don't support the hardware. I already have that stuff in all the other sims. When I do care is when off road titles come to PC and I am now unable to make most of them even function. I can't even use the menu properly with a KEYBOARD without unplugging my pedals. Sorry for having a clutch as a sim racer. Rally content is a PREMIUM commodity to me and it's a real shame that I have to refund every title I buy that isn't RBR or Dirt Rally.

It's ridiculous. I've even been on threads where I've actively told people if you already have something like a CSW V2.5 then going for DD over upgrading something else is probably not in their best interest. But anyway, it seems that asking for titles that support basic functions used decades ago is enough to bring out the hate brigade.

I really don't care when titles like Forza come to PC and don't support the hardware. I already have that stuff in all the other sims. When I do care is when off road titles come to PC and I am now unable to make most of them even function. I can't even use the menu properly with a KEYBOARD without unplugging my pedals. Sorry for having a clutch as a sim racer. Rally content is a PREMIUM commodity to me and it's a real shame that I have to refund every title I buy that isn't RBR or Dirt Rally.
Sadly, it looks like for now every "exotic" wheel owner needs to have a G27 backup because of that. That's why I'm not going to part with mine even if I'll ever obtain a DD wheel.

I have no idea where people get off thinking that owners of direct drive wheels (ot other high end gear) are in someway different to other sim racers. How does a logical mind come to that conclusion? I would think that it would be safe to assume that anyone willing to spend time and money on something as non-essential as a direct drive wheel for the purpose of enjoying their hobby to the fullest (subjective opinion) would at least be afforded the opportunity to experience ALL sim racing has to offer. Or at least as much of it as someone that owns a G27. Just because I want to play V-Rally and I own a DD wheel doesn't mean I should be forced to play it with a pad.

Wow, some of that attitude makes me thankful the time zones make it impractical for me to participate in actual races here.

If you are also referring to my comment about finding the idea to play V-Rally on a DD wheel hilarious, by all means, enjoy the game. I just found the idea quite funny, given the type of game I assumed this one will be based on what the original games were (and somewhat corrected myself after watching the videos - it seems to be a bit different game, one where I guess using wheel in general, not just a DD wheel, really, might be a bit more warranted, though probably still not a very immersive experience). It seemed funny to me in almost the same way playing Dark Souls games with a Guitar Hero controller or a Dance Dance Revolution pad is (which is what some people choose to do regardless, precisely for the ridiculousness of the concept), except we're talking a much more expensive and elaborate setup. It's like getting a ridiculously detailed cockpit for playing FSX or X-plane, worth thousands of dollars...and then using it to play...something like River Raid, the only game I can think of in this context for some reason.

I just wouldn't (or rather didn't, because again, it seems it's quite different from its predecessors) expect a game called "V-Rally" to even be worth playing on a wheel, let alone a DD setup. It's just not that kind of game at all (or, again, the original ones were not). You absolutely should have the opportunity to experience all simracing has to offer - I just never would've considered a V-Rally game "simracing", and I even think my definition of the term is a lot broader than in many other cases. Action game with cars, yes. But not simracing, not by a long shot.

That's really all there was to my remark.

I'm pretty sure this is 5 :D

V-Rally 4 Key Features:

• Rally: from Kenya to Sequoia Park, dominate the most difficult routes in conditions that are often extreme, at the wheel of modern and historic vehicles.
  • V-Rally Cross: intense 8-way races on dirt/tarmac tracks.
  • Extreme-Khana: drift, precision and speed, with traps scattered over the roads, putting your driving and showmanship skills to the test!
  • Buggy: become an expert at driving through hilly terrain, adopt the special reflexes and learn the particular physics needed to win these fierce races.
  • Hillclimb: reach the peaks at the wheel of these powerful, twitchy monsters.

If it's possible to receive Ffb from my OSW I would buy it. Looks fun:) it's not a sim but I think it's gonna be fun when I invite some friends over for a hill climb competition..

I have no idea where people get off thinking that owners of direct drive wheels (ot other high end gear) are in someway different to other sim racers. How does a logical mind come to that conclusion?

Are you really this much of a brick??

"just include the ability to use proper hardware" - proper hardware for you meaning a 1000$+ PC ACCESSORY

If you are also referring to my comment about finding the idea to play V-Rally on a DD wheel hilarious, by all means, enjoy the game. I just found the idea quite funny, given the type of game I assumed this one will be based on what the original games were (and somewhat corrected myself after watching the videos - it seems to be a bit different game, one where I guess using wheel in general, not just a DD wheel, really, might be a bit more warranted, though probably still not a very immersive experience). It seemed funny to me in almost the same way playing Dark Souls games with a Guitar Hero controller or a Dance Dance Revolution pad is (which is what some people choose to do regardless, precisely for the ridiculousness of the concept), except we're talking a much more expensive and elaborate setup. It's like getting a ridiculously detailed cockpit for playing FSX or X-plane, worth thousands of dollars...and then using it to play...something like River Raid, the only game I can think of in this context for some reason.

I just wouldn't (or rather didn't, because again, it seems it's quite different from its predecessors) expect a game called "V-Rally" to even be worth playing on a wheel, let alone a DD setup. It's just not that kind of game at all (or, again, the original ones were not). You absolutely should have the opportunity to experience all simracing has to offer - I just never would've considered a V-Rally game "simracing", and I even think my definition of the term is a lot broader than in many other cases. Action game with cars, yes. But not simracing, not by a long shot.

Let's not set stereotypes loose for now :) When we'll try these two things for ourselves, only then we will be able to tell whether they are worth playing at all or not. I, for example, never expected WRC 7 to be worth having, yet I like it quite a lot. If this new "V-Rally" has an improved version of that physics engine, count me in. But we can't tell for sure right now...

Also, I don't see what is wrong with using a wheel for any driving thing, be it a sim or a game. Especially if you only have the wheel and no joypad nor whatever. Of course, if the FFB is simply awful, then sure, no point in doing that. But is there a point in playing it at all then?

I'm pretty sure this is 5 :D

V-Rally 4 Key Features:

• Rally: from Kenya to Sequoia Park, dominate the most difficult routes in conditions that are often extreme, at the wheel of modern and historic vehicles.
  • V-Rally Cross: intense 8-way races on dirt/tarmac tracks.
  • Extreme-Khana: drift, precision and speed, with traps scattered over the roads, putting your driving and showmanship skills to the test!
  • Buggy: become an expert at driving through hilly terrain, adopt the special reflexes and learn the particular physics needed to win these fierce races.
  • Hillclimb: reach the peaks at the wheel of these powerful, twitchy monsters.
Buggy, huh? I hope that's not the state of the thing upon the release and for the years to come :)

"just include the ability to use proper hardware" - proper hardware for you meaning a 1000$+ PC ACCESSORY
And what exactly is wrong with a $1k PC accessory? And yes, since it reproduces the FFB directly, it IS proper. What's wrong with that? If you can't afford it, just ignore it. No need to get all riled up. It is natural to wish for a better experience. And contrary to VR, DD wheels are pretty much at the peak of their readiness already (because you can do little to improve them further, apart from lowering their prices).

I, for example, never expected WRC 7 to be worth having, yet I like it quite a lot.

This, right here, is what I am talking about. I own WRC 7. I paid money for it. Just like others, who happen to own different hardware. I now cannot drive WRC 7 due to an upgrade. An UPGRADE. Would it be fine for games to run on a GTX 1060, but then upgrading to a 1080, those games no longer work, because they are not 'hardcore' enough for being played by someone that is keen on having better PC hardware?

What EXACTLY is your point? If you feel that spending money on a hobby is a waste, that's your call. Doesn't change the fact that offering support for a wide range of peripherals enhances the experience. Even if it only means allowing the hardware to be RECOGNISED. I'll take the same FFB as everyone else, as long as the axis registers on my PC.

My life choices allow me to have and enjoy hobbies to their fullest, or at least to the extent that I feel make them worthwhile. If you feel being ignorant to my original comment allows you to enjoy your experience here at the forums more, power to you :)

I see your point Martin, for sure. Maybe I thought you were along the same line of 'thinking' as the other fine specemin chiming in here.

Yes, when I saw V-Rally 4, I immediately thought of the games I played on the PS2 era machines. I was happily suprised when them videos showed what looks like another version of the WRC games. Hence my comment.

I do feel that the comparison to guitar hero controls for Dark Souls is a little odd though. The last time I checked, rally cars had steering wheels. Sim racing hardware is a little more relevant to a driving title (arcade or simulation) than a guitar is to an action game. I've recently installed all the previous arcadey Dirt titles and found them to not only recognise and bind my wheel and pedal axis, but also to be a tonne of fun. Given that I prefer racing simulations over games at this point, whether they are driving games or not, I found this a massive bonus.

If the title is trash, I won't play it, wheel or not. If the title is NOT trash, but doesn't at least recognise my hardware, that's a shame. Because I would buy it and I am sure many other owners of more expensive equipment would too.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 465 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.1%
Back