Vintage balloon designs (and an insertion config) for older tracks

Tracks Vintage balloon designs (and an insertion config) for older tracks 05.03.2020

Login or Register an account to download this content
I just checked the gesamtstrecke layout at Nords '67 and...
View attachment 353819
...it is indeed 1,400m below the normal datum (the middle number in the 'Cam' location, which is the 'Y' coordinate for height, in this case negative so 'below ground'), so the balloons are around 1.4km higher than they should be. No wonder they look like little dots. No idea why the track datum is like this, but it does play havoc with adding models unless you are careful. Take 1400 away from the default balloon height in the config and use that number (250 - 1400 = -1150).
ie for Nords '67
RND_POS_CENTER=0,-1150,0
I haven't tried it yet, but isn't is easier to keep the models.ini parameters from the last version of the track and just replace the kn5 models and names? The position of the balloons is already set inside the ini files.

I haven't tried it yet, but isn't is easier to keep the models.ini parameters from the last version of the track and just replace the kn5 models and names? The position of the balloons is already set inside the ini files.
I'm not sure I understand. You mean, move all the track assets 1.4km up so that the datum on the start line is at Y=0? I've never tried moving a whole track before, I wasn't sure if there'd be some knock-on effect elsewhere. It's easy enough altering the height of the balloons to suit the 'low' track.
Out of interest, how did the track get set so low relative to 0,0,0 coordinates?

I'm not sure I understand. You mean, move all the track assets 1.4km up so that the datum on the start line is at Y=0? I've never tried moving a whole track before, I wasn't sure if there'd be some knock-on effect elsewhere. It's easy enough altering the height of the balloons to suit the 'low' track.
Out of interest, how did the track get set so low relative to 0,0,0 coordinates?

No i don't mean that. The last version of the track (1.0.1) comes already with balloon models. I mean just replacing the existing kn5 balloon files with your kn5 models and renaming them as the old ones. That saves you from having to do anything to the ini files.

Lol i completely forgot about that while working on it. The base track i converted already came with the error, and i just never fixed it.

ZmQWQsE.jpg

No i don't mean that. The last version of the track (1.0.1) comes already with balloon models. I mean just replacing the existing kn5 balloon files with your kn5 models and renaming them as the old ones. That saves you from having to do anything to the ini files.
I recognise those balloons..! ;)
I was just trying to help @krissboo who was getting very high balloons when using my 'vintage balloons' config, but yes, another solution would be to copy the balloon path into your existing config. The 'modern' balloon kn5s could then be deleted from the track folder.

Edit:
One extra thought: would having such a low track datum affect things like 3D cloud positions (new Sol/CSP feature)? I guess it depends if the cloud coordinates are absolute or relative to the track.

Last edited:
@Masscot Just reporting back that your fix has worked and the balloons are at a much lower height now. Just need to randomise their positions a bit more so they're not all bunched up at the start. Thanks again for your persistence in helping out :D

I recognise those balloons..! ;)
I was just trying to help @krissboo who was getting very high balloons when using my 'vintage balloons' config, but yes, another solution would be to copy the balloon path into your existing config. The 'modern' balloon kn5s could then be deleted from the track folder.

Edit:
One extra thought: would having such a low track datum affect things like 3D cloud positions (new Sol/CSP feature)? I guess it depends if the cloud coordinates are absolute or relative to the track.

Yes! these are the same famous balloons everybody introduced in every possible track lol, i can guess by your response you also did these "modern" balloons? I love them! i included also the fuji zeppelin in nurburgring.

Next update will include these vintage balloons of course, and credits for you.

I don't think it affects cloud position.. but i'm not sure. They look just fine by me tho

Yes! these are the same famous balloons everybody introduced in every possible track lol, i can guess by your response you also did these "modern" balloons? I love them! i included also the fuji zeppelin in nurburgring.

Next update will include these vintage balloons of course, and credits for you.

I don't think it affects cloud position.. but i'm not sure. They look just fine by me tho

Nope can confirm clouds are not affected...just the balloon height. Absolutely love this track by the way :thumbsup:

Wish you could add the Ballons from Jacarepagua F1 Historic (AMS) and some classic ones like Warsteiner (which has a new design every decade and would work great on classic Nordschleife, in fact Warstein has the biggest Montgolfiade for Ballons in Germany).
Stella Artois for Zolder, Budweiser for Riverside, Miller and Miller Lite for Mid-Ohio.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 489 69.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 299 42.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 324 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 153 21.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 193 27.3%
Back