Which RTX 3080/90 Model?

Its always better to wait with cpu and gpus. The biggest problem is silicone yeilds, there simply isn't enough of it to go round to get higher number of highly binned chips, so there is greater risk that most of it will be baseline reference spec, best luck is going for Nvidias custom card or something like aorus xtreme Evga FTW cards I think. On how good the bins will in truth its a lottery, especially without testing available.

Also because of all the hype this time round I get the feeling 3080 and 3090 especially is going to be pre order hell of several months. Bit like Ryzen 3000 last year. Moors law is dead was saying one of his contacts said the 3090 is going to be like radeon vii levels of stock. I.e. a quick sell in very low numbers.

I guess you either jump on the stay up all night preorder mentalist on release day crowd and gamble, or chill out and wait to see what happens. Still got a gpu that works just fine right now so no pressure to get one so I'm biased.

Like my son often says to his old dad. WTF YOLO. That's what I understand (now) and pre-ordered the Gigabyte 3080 GPU. Hopefully they (Amazon.nl) deliver as promised on 18/19 Sept?

Strange as I understood that this time there was no possibility for pre-orders and you have to wait until launch on Sept 17?

And then the Reverb G2 somewhere in October?? Or November....:mad:

Like my son often says to his old dad. WTF YOLO. That's what I understand (now) and pre-ordered the Gigabyte 3080 GPU. Hopefully they (Amazon.nl) deliver as promised on 18/19 Sept?

Strange as I understood that this time there was no possibility for pre-orders and you have to wait until launch on Sept 17?

Amazon UK doesn't have any listed, you got lucky. I just checked all excited like.

Nice, which one.... The Eagle, or did you go higher up the ladder?

Strangely enough I'm more excited about getting the HP Reverb G2.... I'm holding fire on the GPU until I see what AMD with Big Navi can offer - you never know - they might even ace Nvidia. It's been a long, long time since I've used a Radeon card.... Drivers, will it be their Achilles heel, do hope not but I suspect it will. decision, decisions.

What a great time it is to be a sim racer, eh!!!

Strangely enough I'm more excited about getting the HP Reverb G2.... I'm holding fire on the GPU until I see what AMD with Big Navi can offer -
I'm in the same boat. My main focus is upgrading my VR experience in ACC. It looks like the G2 is the headset to go with at the moment. Whatever will make a G2 work with ACC is the card I want. But I'm already gone past what I expected to pay by going with a 3080, the 3090 is just too much money. AMD would want to pull something particularly special out of the bag to get me to move to them. I think over all the Nvidia cards are better, I think if the AMD cards were on a par I might stick with Nvidia, even if AMD was cheaper.

Yes!! First mission accomplished. This afternoon I received a new 750W PSU and installed it now.
It works so I'm back online.

For me also. More looking forward to the G2. But then I was questioning myself if the 1080ti would be enough to run the G2 in it's full glory? Started watching some YT expert video's. Then the marketing kicked in....I was $old. Pre ordered the eagle version. Other minor reason maybe: My wife said we had some extra money in the pocket after we moved to another place. Quick, quick where can I pre order a GPU. Done!

Edit: meanwhile the pre order possibility via Amazon has been blocked. Now let's see if my order which I already paid for will proceed?

Also the first benchmarks pop up. No idea if BiliBili is trustworthy?

1599661416103.png

Last edited:
One thing to consider with the new FE cards is that they are _not_ reference models as in the past. Considering Nvidia's might and the amount of money they must have to put in to R&D it might well be that their own cards are the ones to have. The cooling solution on them looks far more innovative than others.

The ones to eventually have will probably be the 3080 "+" models they'll end up making with more RAM etc

Thanks for the vid, answered a few questions I had.
Still think I'm gonna go for a 3080 but now I'm considering trying to stake out a 3080 FE card.
Dunno if that will be possible as they're rare as rocking horse doodoo out here....

Anyways, the first card was available to add as a wishlist item on one of Malaysia's online shopping sites....
A Zotax RTX 3080 trinity card for RM9,999
But it has since been taken down. I hope that's not the price they will be selling for, as it's around £1.9k and totally out of budget lol

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I think "outstanding samples" is only of interest to interested in overclocking. What it might mean is that there's a lot less reason to get third party cards.
Unless the 3rd party comes with higher clock already (most do) which is a good indication of good Bin chip.

I think Nvidia are changing the way they are selling chips are cards — the design is their own one must surely surpass that of the third party vendors? I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re moving in the direction of owning the card sales far more. Makes sense they’ll keep the good chips.

3rd party cards go both below and above the FE cards. They will produce the reference cards i.e. the cheapest ones, as well as overclocked higher binned cards factory overclocked. FE cards are somewhere in between. Reference clock speeds but with higher binned gpus than reference that should overclock as well.

• Deleted member 197115

Don't FE come with higher clock than reference this time? At least this is what Jay was saying in his video.

FE are not reference cards anymore.

A reference card is a minimal design that has only what you need to get a design up and running. A best practice design. Something for the chip manufacturer to show that it works. Something for others to then take and improve on wherever they see fit — more RAM, better power stages, better cooling etc

The new FE cards are in no way reference designs — the cooling solution is like nothing else for a start.

Obviously we have no figures yet, but I am assuming they’ll perform really well. And I expect the third-party vendors are going to have to really up their game. They can no longer add an extra fan, style them for an angry teenager and stick on a load of RGB.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 478 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 290 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 316 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 142 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 185 27.1%
Back