Which steering wheel?

Hi
I'm thinking of investing in a wheel for driving rather than the PS2 controller I currently use. From looking around the forums, I know the G25 is the wheel of choice, but if the budget is less than the required amount, are there any other recommendations out there for less expensive options? My PC is isn't ideally located to have a separate seat, wheel, footpedals and gear change, so I'd like to try something less expensive in the interim and if I find it better, then think about a reposition of the PC at a later date.

Any comments appreciated.
Mark

My wife got me a Logitech Momo for Christmas. While it's not a G25, it's inexpensive and seems to be a very solid entry wheel. I am quite happy with it as well as my wife's apparent support for my growing obsession :)

The Momo is a really good wheel. I've had it for a long time now and it really feels nice. I remember how good it felt when I first got it, especially in comparison to the non-forcefeedback plastic steering wheel from Dexxa that I was using before I got the Momo :p I had to jam the base of the pedals under my chair so that they wouldn't lift when I pushed the gas pedal, even though there was very little resistence in the pedals.
With the Momo pedals, all of those problems disappeared :p

Hi
Now my game is working again after a three week crashing problem (see my other thread), I'm back on track to get a wheel. Thanks for all the responses regarding what you use and how you get on with it. The Momo does look like the best 'budget' buy, so a quick look on Ebay and if not, maybe a new one! Look forward to seeing you on track.

Mark

Was wonderring if anyone has a Logitech Formula Force EX wheel and if its any good? im on budget of under 70 quid, and my old Saitek R440 is getting on me nerves only having 4 buttons on it, The Formula Force is 54 quid which is perfect, while the Momo looks good, it dont seem like its sold anywhere in UK and 70 quid for a wheel does seem rather expensive second hand on ebay.

Update/bump - was looking at this thread and clicked on Bens link to Amazon - DFP for £34.99 a post elsewhere for GTR at less than £10.00 at these prices you can set someone up for hours and hours of racing pleasure for less than the cost of a console game!!

I upgraded from a Logitech Driving Force Pro to a G25, and although I did make that change and won't look back, The DFP was a very good wheel for the money. Ignore the fact it is labelled PS3, it does work on a PC with the current Logitech drivers.

DFP at Amazon

Not sure of availabilty now though..

New Momo was the way I went 2 yrs ago when I begain online racing. I've since graduated to the g25 when the momo broke but I got so many hours out of the momo that I expected it to break. It was a good cheap way to get a wheel without breaking the bank. Biggest difference between the momo and g25 is the petals. you can feel the experience so much more with the g25.

Momo will suffice imo.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 68 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 24 31.2%