AC 1989 IMSA Series | Round 1: Audi 90 GTO at Sonoma Raceway - Friday Dec 15 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

dbx71

Club Staff
Premium
Welcome to the RD Race Club!
imsa-lime-rock-1989-hurley-hay-2.jpg

The year is 1989 and Audi, after dominating the 1988 north American TransAm racing series with their factory effort all-wheel drive 200 Quattro and then being subsequently banned from that series, takes their motorsports program to the competing race series IMSA instead.

For IMSA, Audi introduced the world to the now iconic Audi 90 GTO. Producing an astounding 720 hp from a 2.2 liter 5 cylinder engine, thanks to the help of a massive turbo, the 90 GTO was a purpose-built racecar utilizing tubeframe construction and the signature Audi all-wheel drive system. Although Audi did not compete in the first few races of the season, as the car was still under development, it eventually scored a victory at Summit Point driven by Hans-Joachim Stuck. From that point, the Audi was nearly unstoppable, winning 7 of the 13 races, and went on to take 2nd place in the Constructors’ Championship with Stuck taking third overall in the Drivers' Championship. Had the car competed at the first races at Daytona and Sebring, they most likely would have won both championships.

Sadly, after just one season German bosses decided to pull the plug on the IMSA program and focus their attention on the DTM series at home.

Now is your chance to get behind the wheel of this legendary race car, as we revisit the 1989 IMSA racing series. Our first stop, Sonoma Raceway (previously known as Sears Point), nestled into the rolling hills of California.

Sonoma+Track+Map.png

We will race the following circuits on alternating Fridays:

R1 Sears Point Raceway (Sonoma, CA)
R2 Summit Point Motorsports Park (West Virginia)
R3 Lime Rock Park (Lakeville, Connecticut)
R4 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course (Lexingtong, OH)
R5 Canadian Tire Motorsort Park (Mosport) (Ontario, Canada)
R6 Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI)
R7 Heartland Motorsports Park (Topeka, Kansas)
R8 Watkins Glen (Watkins Glen, NY)
R9 Laguna Seca (Monterey, CA)
R10 Road Atlanta (Georgia)

We'll see you on the track!

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is essential for clean and respectful driving in our community. You should therefore use tools like Helicorsa or CarRadar and CrewChief. The links for these apps are on the bottom of this post.

DISCORD. It's important that you also join us during the event on Discord for additional information and instructions. Link is below.

Go to https://acsm.racedepartment.com/championship/6aaadcc8-d865-48da-822d-c843d6c73606?server=5

using the Emperor account you have been given and register with your steamID.

If you don't have an Emperor account yet, ask for one by posting in this thread (only for premium members).

Server information:

Server: Racedepartment Server 6 Password: standard password, if you don't know that, ask for it in this thread and it will be send in a PM.

• 11:30 PDT | 19:30 UTC | 30 minutes - Official Practice
  • 12:00 PDT | 20:00 UTC | 30 minutes - Qualification
  • 12:30 PDT | 20:30 UTC | 30 minutes - RACE
  • Practice server available during the week. Same password.
Event details:
  • Cars
    • Auriel 90 GTO by VRC (Paid mod, worth every penny!)
  • Track: Sonoma Raceway (Long) https://www.mediafire.com/file/12ekectonyn9s1v/rt_sonoma_1.0.rar/file
  • Pit stop: NOT Mandatory
  • Tyre blankets: Yes
  • Track Road temperature: 30 Celsius
  • Track grip: 100%
  • Track limits: No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please. You will be penalized if you break this rule.
  • Damage: 10%
  • Fuel Consumption: 100%
  • Tyre wear: 100%
Useful Links:
Entry list:

Last edited:
I can't make this one, and probably will miss a lot of others as Friday is not a good day for me but I will try it out. Never raced on this track.
yeah, unfortunately, for one reason or another, fridays are really the only days i have to work with. i hope you can make it when you can.
you should try out this track, it's really challenging and technical, similar to laguna seca.

And, if it helps anyone, here is my basic setup for this car. This is based on a setup that one of the guys at VRC was kind enough to share (thanks Ferrari64!).

Attachments

• Auriel90_Basic.ini
    1.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Auriel90_Basic.sp
    291 bytes · Views: 36
Woohaa, crazy track. It's not like I never heard of it but it feels a lot different than I expected. I wouldn't compare it to Laguna Seca though, the way to corner is quite different.

I was overdriving the car a bit haha but it felt good.

Nice time by the way Dominic!

Last edited:
Woohaa, crazy track. It's not like I never heard of it but it feels a lot different than I expected. I wouldn't compare it to Laguna Seca though, the way to corner is quite different.

I was overdriving the car a bit haha but it felt good.

Nice time by the way Dominic!
yeah, the more time you spend with this car (and track!) the more you're going to grow to like it. I love the all-wheel drive slide around the corners here.

some more good tracks coming up in this series too! stay tuned.

Here's footage from actual final laps of 1989 race at Sears Point. Hans doing his famous yodel at the end in Winner's Circle:

I know this car and track combo may be new to many, but I would highly recommend you give it a try. I think you will find the driving experience quite enjoyable once you start getting the feel for these cars, and on this track.

Hope to see you on Friday!

Alrighty drivers, race day is tomorrow! If things are looking cold and dreary outside, consider joining us tomorrow for some warm, indoor turbo-charged thrills. Still time to sign up and get some practice in.

If you're curious what this car and track combo looks like, here is a lap:

What's the latest time before the event to sign up? I'd really like to join but it's not certain I can make it home in time from our companie's christmas party.

Or would you allow me to sign up even knowing about the risk of not showing up?

What's the latest time before the event to sign up? I'd really like to join but it's not certain I can make it home in time from our companie's christmas party.

Or would you allow me to sign up even knowing about the risk of not showing up?
no problem, the actual race starts at 20:30. you can join in at any time (free join). you can sign up and hopefully you can make it but if not, no worries.
thanks Reik!

hey drivers,
time is running out to sign up to tackle 'Bathurst of the West' (ok, i just made up that name) :D
challenging but rewarding combo, but sure to get you pumped up for the weekend!

hope to see you on the track!

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 50 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%