AC - I don't understand the hype!

It is a mini-PC, which I use quite a lot for video editing (DaVinci Resolve).
I doubt that will even run the 17 year old game - Race 07 @ 1920x1080 60 FPS with medium quality settings.

Race 07 @ $4 is cheap experiment, or you might want to buy / build a PC for gaming.
- I like messing with new build ideas @ PCPartsPicker.com
- people post builds & cost here - https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/

Tons of good & bad advice on both of those things @ youtube
- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=build+a+game+PC+2024

Last edited:
HA! I just remembered I have my own Assetto Corsa playlist on youtube!

EDIT: click the CC button in the lower right corner of the youtube video player because my audio was really bad. I learned how to deal with that now & make vids at 4K & use Shotcut video editor (the most boring activity in the world is video editing).

EDIT 2: Here's where I finally jump from GAMER to RACER, next vid is jumping to PRO settings.

EDIT 3: Here's where I finally jump to PRO settings.

Last edited:
Did you get that in writing? Because I think that was misleading to the point of just plain being untrue.
I did yes. Not the end of the world though. I'm happy with the computer otherwise. I guess there is no way you can add anything on top? Like a better graphic card connected by USB-C. Does something like that exist?

I did yes. Not the end of the world though. I'm happy with the computer otherwise. I guess there is no way you can add anything on top? Like a better graphic card connected by USB-C. Does something like that exist?
That does exist (google e-GPU), but you lose a lot of performance compared to a normal connection on the motherboard and the e-GPU cases cost more than buying a new PC.
It's really only a thing for giving professional laptops some extra power to render stuff, where the company pays for it.

Your Mini-PC has a really good CPU, sadly no real graphics card. Can you tell us the exact model?
Maybe you could do something crazy and put the internals into a normal PC case and then plug in a graphics card.
But since it's a laptop CPU, the motherboard probably doesn't have a GPU slot :(

That does exist (google e-GPU), but you lose a lot of performance compared to a normal connection on the motherboard and the e-GPU cases cost more than buying a new PC.
It's really only a thing for giving professional laptops some extra power to render stuff, where the company pays for it.

Your Mini-PC has a really good CPU, sadly no real graphics card. Can you tell us the exact model?
Maybe you could do something crazy and put the internals into a normal PC case and then plug in a graphics card.
But since it's a laptop CPU, the motherboard probably doesn't have a GPU slot :(
Ok, got it. Thanks. Here is the mini-PC: https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-mini-it12-mini-pc/ I've got the i7 version.

I'm planning to get a second mini-PC this year. The A7 seems to have an AMD graphic card: https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-a7-mini-pc-ryzen-7000/ What do you think about that one?

Yeah, sadly, it's a laptop motherboard, so no chance to put in a real graphics card.
It's a great PC for basically everything apart from any gaming.
The A7 seems to have an AMD graphic card: https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-a7-mini-pc-ryzen-7000/ What do you think about that one?
The important difference is, that these mini PCs have:
- Intel UHD graphics
- AMD Radeon graphics

What's missing is the CARD at the end.
Easy rule for this stuff:
If there's no exact model number, it's not a real graphics card.
These are just the little graphics units inside of the CPU.

Some laptops and mini PCs have the main chip of a real graphics card soldered onto the motherboard.
Then you'll see stuff like "nvidia rtx 3060" listed in the specs.
These are still not as powerful as a real graphics card, but it's at least a dedicated GPU chip on the motherboard.
Here's a size comparison of a real graphics card next to a mini PC:

oezGToppAyZ9Ar4ZAfxsoB-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:
I'm planning to get a second mini-PC this year. The A7 seems to have an AMD graphic card: https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-a7-mini-pc-ryzen-7000/ What do you think about that one?
Buy / build a MUCH better PC than that to play games & edit video for $1,000

BONUS! You can add more ram, update the CPU, GPU, hard drive storage as you make / save more money over coming months / years vs the locked format / prebuilt mini "junk".

AC is awesome, your wheel & pedals are high-end - the main problem is your PC.

Last edited:
OK, so this is a "point of reference" baseline you can pick the parts and equate it to your own income. In the video below, the guy has build videos & parts lists for $400-5-6-7-8-9-$1000 too.

Just saying...

EDIT / NOTE: I was replying to OP who linked a PC he plans to buy @ $700~850 USD.

Video below has a $700 build (or Linus, etc.) that spanks that mini-PC's Radeon 780M.

1714814039862.png

Last edited:
This guy posted budget builds in the vid INFO panel per $100 on April 27, 2024
~ also lists parts for $400-5-6-7-8-9-$1000 to $2,500 builds...

I plan builds to last 5 years minimum, so I get a decent case, the best MOBO, PSU & M.2 OS drive (foundation parts) that I can afford, mid-CPU / RAM (2 of 4 slots - upgrade later), re-use my vid card temporarily or buy a mid that beats my current card by at least 80%, reuse some spinner hard drives, windows, etc.

I registered @ pcpartspicker.com so I can save multiple build lists, and then I monitor those parts on Amazon, Newegg, bhphotovideo.com, etc. & buy them on sale over several months. Eventually I build w/ what I have & upgrade RAM, CPU, vid-card, hard drives, etc. over a 5 year period very affordably.

Ultimately, I have a great PC & my 5 year "old" PC becomes my video editing box & my fastest / bestest main PC / game box isn't tied up rendering or uploading videos.

Last edited:
I usually use - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com (screenshot below)

Graphs in above posts - found here (it was above UserBenchmark.com in search).
~ https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-RX-6700-XT-vs-Radeon-780M

I prefer UserBenchmark - not like it's 100% accurate or authoritative, but it's one of many data points for me. The base site has an app to scan your PC... I did it on 2 PC's so far.
~ I've scanned with Avast, Malwarebytes, Super-Anti Spyware, S&D and it's clean IMO.

Another site that's interesting is "Can I Run It?" where you search GAME NAME for SYS REQ's
~ I use browser VPN, with extensions Avast, Malwarebytes, adblockers...
~ https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

I recently found this site where you just pick your CPU, GPU, RAM from a list and enter a game name.

gpu.JPG

Last edited:
I do appreciate all the excellent information - thanks a Million! However, I cannot justify buying a 1,000 EUR/USD desktop for AC only. We don't play enough for that. We will need a second mini-pc in the family soon though. Portability is key in our case, so I'm hoping to find a mini-PC that also has good gaming capability. Can anyone recommend a mini-PC with a good enough graphic card for playing AC? Or does that simply not exist? I note the size of the graphic card that RasmusP posted; are they always that big or do smaller (more expensive ones) also exist?

Can anyone recommend a mini-PC with a good enough graphic card for playing AC?
Or does that simply not exist?
They sadly don't. You want a Gaming Laptop without a monitor, but that market seems to no exist.
I note the size of the graphic card that RasmusP posted; are they always that big or do smaller (more expensive ones) also exist?
Yep. Or at least bigger than any mini PC. You can buy very small Desktop PCs, but they are more expensive, than the big ones.
One possibility would be to buy a Laptop with a real GPU. Here's a Geizhals Filter:

...desktop for AC only...
Believe me, when you get to play AC on a proper PC, you will want to try some other racing games w/ that wheel, along with amazing games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, Spiderman, Yakuza, Cyberpunk 2077, Golf, FIFA or any of the amazing games out there!

It will also be a better MUCH video editor & general use PC.

As @RasmusP said, a gaming laptop would be better for you than mini PC & they exist @ $800~1,000K.
Simply use an HDMI cord & connect it to your 1080HD TV & full-size USB keyboard / mouse.

Last edited:
Laptop with a real GPU. Here's a Geizhals Filter:
GREAT LINK! That website is CRAMMED with links & looks great for EU people.

I sorted by "Preis" and there are deals on RTX 4050 laptops @ 700~750 EURO

That beats the graphics capability of that mini PC GTX-780M by more than 300% (link)

The laptops w/ RTX 3050 is not much cheaper & beats GTX-780M by more than 220%

@ 600~650 EURO

Last edited:
Got it. This is an education trip for me ;-) Getting a desktop is not going to work: the gaming room / gym is in the attic while the study rooms and office for video editing is one floor down, so I don't feel like carrying a desktop up and down the stairs, connecting/disconnecting, etc. A laptop should work though (+ one of my daughter's school languages is in fact German, so a German keyboard is perfect). Would this one work for both video editing and gaming you think: https://geizhals.de/lenovo-loq-15irh8-storm-grey-82xv00sqge-a3120205.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

Yeah... that laptop only has 6% better CPU but it has a 300% better GPU (graphics) and video editing software will use CPU more than GPU to render.

Both have 16GB ram to start, but the mini can be upgraded to 64GB & the laptop can't be upgraded.

Laptop is very easy to move upstairs / downstairs - especially if you leave a TV (monitor) + keyboard / mouse at each desk & those are cheap compared to the PC.

= 6% faster CPU

Last edited:
Got it. This is an education trip for me ;-) Getting a desktop is not going to work: the gaming room / gym is in the attic while the study rooms and office for video editing is one floor down, so I don't feel like carrying a desktop up and down the stairs, connecting/disconnecting, etc. A laptop should work though (+ one of my daughter's school languages is in fact German, so a German keyboard is perfect). Would this one work for both video editing and gaming you think: https://geizhals.de/lenovo-loq-15irh8-storm-grey-82xv00sqge-a3120205.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
Yep, it's a nice laptop!
12th Gen Intel Laptop CPUs are very good, awesome Single Core performance, which is important for gaming, especially Simracing.
The 4050 is pretty awesome! It basically has the performance of a laptop 3070 ti!

I had a look at Notebookcheck, which are decent for laptop benchmarks.
In F1 2023, high preset at 1920x1080, the "Intel Iris XE 96 EU" that's inside your Mini-PC's i7-1260P, scores at about 25 fps.
The laptop-4050 scores at 143 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Here's a comparison chart for F1 '23 for different non-desktop GPUs:
1715006995483.png

Normally, the xx50 laptop-GPUs drop off a cliff compared to the xx60, but the 4050 is different. So yeah, I can happily recommend that laptop! :)

The laptop also has a 144 Hz display, which is nice for everything, especially racing.
Sadly, that laptop doesn't have a gsync compatible display, but at 144 Hz, it's pretty smooth without it, if you disable vsync :)
The good thing: The laptop-4050 is gsync compatible with external displays! Some "cheaper" laptop-GPUs were NOT gsync compatible in the past.
(the display syncs to the fps of the GPU, which makes things tearing free and stutter-free, as long as the fps don't drop too much)

Video editing should gain a lot too, since the laptop-4050 has the nvidia encoder, decoder and is CUDA compatible. Davinci on my desktop PC became a lot better when upgrading from my GTX 1070 to RTX 3080!

Just make sure that the Laptop has good ventilation on the bottom. Maybe put it on a little "laptop-stand", so the fans don't suck in all the dust from the surface it's sitting on and can work without much resistance. These gaming laptops need quite some wattage for their little size.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 109 88.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 46 37.4%