AC Modding Questions Thread

To all the track modders: When you model anything but the road surface, do you start with the physical model or the model you actually see in the end? Or do you use the same model for it?

To all the track modders: When you model anything but the road surface, do you start with the physical model or the model you actually see in the end? Or do you use the same model for it?
I do all the visual first (and use the visual as physical while tweaking the layout), then duplicate and add the detail for the physical mesh after.

Thanks @Johnr777 @Ben O'Bro @Ryno917 for the responses, I'll see what I will do. My problem is at the moment managing my hopes and expectations with my actual skill and determination, every time I work on it I want it finished as quickly as possible and as soon as I shut my PC down I start to dream again :p

Hello again,
I'm working on some tracks for AC, and I want to know what is the best way to do stuff like paint stripes, skidmarks, and tar snakes on the track surface? I'm using Blender 2.92.
I know this is a repeat question but it didn't get answered the first time.

Last edited:
Hello again,
I'm working on some tracks for AC, and I want to know what is the best way to do stuff like paint stripes, skidmarks, and tar snakes on the track surface? I'm using Blender 2.92.
I know this is a repeat question but it didn't get answered the first time.
Easiest thing for paint stripes would be a mesh following a curve and shrinkwrap it to the road with a small offset. If you have no curves, loop-select the outer edges of the track for example and create a curve from that polyline.
This would probably be the best idea for tar snakes as well.
For skidmarks, I've done it manually (create a rectangle, subdivide it for more polygons, manually move/rotate the points to follow a skid track, then shrinkwrap, and knife where nessecary where it cuts below the road).

But there are thousand ways of doing it.

Easiest thing for paint stripes would be a mesh following a curve and shrinkwrap it to the road with a small offset. If you have no curves, loop-select the outer edges of the track for example and create a curve from that polyline.
This would probably be the best idea for tar snakes as well.
For skidmarks, I've done it manually (create a rectangle, subdivide it for more polygons, manually move/rotate the points to follow a skid track, then shrinkwrap, and knife where nessecary where it cuts below the road).

But there are thousand ways of doing it.
I've gotten that far, but I was more thinking how do I texture it? Thanks for the help.

i had an idea today, not sure if it's a good one
i have a few 3D models i probably won't ever turn into a mod
just like a3dr gave me his e-type which i still haven't done..

all of those could offer a 3D base to the ones you often see around here with a "almost" scratch made 3D model, which started from forza or something, on which they worked etc.

Could it be a good idea or not, to advert my models as possibility to anyone willing to turn them into mods ?
there is a 69 camaro, a 1985 caprice, and crown victoria, which i started and lost, the new Stratos 2010 concept or something, and the Polish sport car Arrinera

not sure where i could put it, that it's not just people wanting free models for other purposes

This could be one of the weirdest bugs I've ever encountered, hopefully someone knows how to fix it.
As you can see, these weird tyre shadows are floating in the sky, and I have no idea why. I have redone the LODs from scratch, as I was thinking maybe I had a mesh somewhere floating around in the model, but the shadows still appear.

On most tracks they aren't visible. But in mini Portimao it is very noticeable and annoying. Have you ever encountered this issue with one of your cars and how can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance!

This could be one of the weirdest bugs I've ever encountered, hopefully someone knows how to fix it.
As you can see, these weird tyre shadows are floating in the sky, and I have no idea why. I have redone the LODs from scratch, as I was thinking maybe I had a mesh somewhere floating around in the model, but the shadows still appear.

On most tracks they aren't visible. But in mini Portimao it is very noticeable and annoying. Have you ever encountered this issue with one of your cars and how can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance!
Also, you know it's weird when Gary and NK from RSS tell you it is the first time they see something like this :confused:

Just wondering if anyone knows how to create a chrome livery for the RSS Formula Americas car?

EzsjPE3XEAkaQTJ.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knows how to create a chrome livery for the RSS Formula Americas car?

View attachment 469240

Screenshot_rss_formula_americas_2020_ks_laguna_seca_26-3-121-13-7-54.jpg

A quick chrome config. You can (should) adjust the values. You also need to make a reflection map that has the decals in matte

[INCLUDE: common/materials_carpaint.ini]
CarPaintVersionAware = 2

[Material_CarPaint_Chrome]
Materials = Pain
FresnelMax = 0.5
FresnelC = 0.5
BrightnessAdjustment = 0.555
ColoredSpecular = 1.0
AmbientSpecular = 0.255
AmbientSpecularEXP = 2.5
ClearCoatThickness = 0.155

Save that as ext_config.ini to skin folder

Last edited:
View attachment 469253
A quick chrome config. You can (should) adjust the values. You also need to make a reflection map that has the decals in matte

[INCLUDE: common/materials_carpaint.ini]
CarPaintVersionAware = 2

[Material_CarPaint_Chrome]
Materials = Pain
FresnelMax = 0.5
FresnelC = 0.5
BrightnessAdjustment = 0.555
ColoredSpecular = 1.0
AmbientSpecular = 0.255
AmbientSpecularEXP = 2.5
ClearCoatThickness = 0.155

Save that as ext_config.ini to skin folder
Amazing stuff, thanks. How do I create a reflection map/make sure it's applied to the car?

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 0.9%