ACC on a weak computer

Share what you can do to improve FPS.

i5-4440, 8 Gb, RX-580
The settings are high. FPS is locked at 50.
Surprisingly, you can play.
15 cars. Falling FPS at the start to 35. The rest of the game FPS 45-50.

IIRC the most taxing settings are shadows, reflections, mirrors, and visible AI. Try to further reduce those, but race starts with AI depend heavily on your CPU, since the AI uses the same physics calculations the player car does, so that might be something you'll have to live with to a certain degree until you're able to upgrade your hardware.

You can try running locked 30 fps with V-Sync on. I know, it doesn't sound good but if you enable Motion Blur setting it actually isn't that bad if you allow yourself to get used to it. I can run ACC on high preset at 60 fps but sometimes I crank up the settings and limit fps to 30 and It seems quite smooth after few minutes of driving. I was pleasantly surprised, maybe you will as well. It's kinda like Forza Horizon games on Xbox where they feel quite smooth despite running at 30fps, the motion blur does great job smoothing out the image. Of course for very competitive racing (online) 60 or more fps is always the way to go but it's still enjoyable even at 30 with enabled Motion Blur.

Last edited:
I already shared my tips here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/i-got-my-fps-back.172350/

edit: I have a very similar (and older) hardware. Extending RAM to 16GB did the biggest difference.
May I ask if you went from 2x 4 GB to 4x 4 GB or from 1x 8 GB to 2x 8 GB?

Basically: did you run dual channel before or only a single stick?

During my benchmarks, I've found that the ram MHz had quite a significant impact. Going from 2666 mhz to 3200 mhz made a massive difference. 3466 made another small difference and as I tested lately, going to 4133 mhz, it didn't give me a single more fps.

So apparently acc gains a lot of performance at the lower spectrum of ram speeds.
Which lets me think that going from single channel to dual channel would make a significant impact too!

I went from 2x4 to 4x4, I just added two more sticks of the same (very slow DDR3) RAM.
The RAM usage in ACC went from 7GB to 10GB and I gained a massive chunk of framerate stability. Some more average FPS also, I don't remember exactly how many, but it was around 5-10fps.

These are my graphic settings with my RX570. At the moment I have between 85 and 110 FPS on most situations (1080p). Instead you can try the other settings to gain some more FPS.

edit: place them into Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Customs\VideoSettings

Attachments

• RX570.json
    1 KB · Views: 85
  • BILANCIATO.json
    1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I went from 2x4 to 4x4, I just added two more sticks of the same (very slow DDR3) RAM.
The RAM usage in ACC went from 7GB to 10GB and I gained a massive chunk of framerate stability. Some more average FPS also, I don't remember exactly how many, but it was around 5-10fps.

These are my graphic settings with my RX570. At the moment I have between 85 and 110 FPS on most situations. Instead you can try the other settings to gain some more FPS.
Thanks for the detailed reply!
So it wasn't the speed but apparently having to manage less resources and stream less data from the drive gave the CPU some more headroom for the other stuff.

I'm also thinking about upgrading to Xeon.
Going from 4 cores at max 3.1 GHz to 4 cores + 4 virtual threads at max 3.8 GHz will definitely give a nice boost.
How expensive would the xeon be for you?

It's still old and weak and a modern 6 core cpu would give wayyyyyyy more fps!

AMD 3xxx, any 6 core CPU or Intel 8th gen or newer with 6 cores.
Combined with a non-oc mobo and the cheapest 16gb ram with at least 2666 mhz should be available for little money too.

Probably way better "bang for the buck".

I'm no PC nerd, but I guess my i5-3570k has got some fresh air by avoiding cleaning up the RAM all the time.
Yep. In most games, the files on the drive are encrypted and compressed so the cpu has to put some power in to get the data into the ram.
There are some old games where you can gain quite a lot of performance if you create a ram disk and install them directly into the ram.
These games can't use much ram but you can speed up the streaming process.

That's how I learnt about this stuff :p

Oh I see.. I5 4440... So what xeon would be the upgrade then?
I thought you'd have a 2xxx i5 and would be upgrading to the xeon 1270 from the video you posted.

The general problem with xeons is that they have a nice amount of cores but they lack boost clock.
So ideally you'd get the I7 k of the 4th Gen (4770k/4790k). Your motherboard probably doesn't support overclocking, but the k version boosts a bit higher!

And getting another 8gb of ram would also help, apparently!

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 275 68.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 184 45.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 196 48.6%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 85 21.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 109 27.0%
Back