AI Line Helper

Apps AI Line Helper 2022.03.08

Login or Register an account to download this content
I recorded left side from the start line to the start line, (i did never enter the pits) then i did the same with the right side. After that i loaded a new session pressing shift and i saw both sides fixed as it should be. There was no crossed line between both side lines.

After that i put the fast_lane.candidate where it should be. There was also a pit_lane.candidate but i deleted it.

What do you mean with do it at full speed? Should i record side lines at high speed? I did it at very low speed.
I will try again and see what happen

EDIT: Omg it goes crazy

Look at that https://ibb.co/m7wvte

Also when i try to record it stops the recording process at the middle of the track

Side Lines should be recorded at slow speed, so you can make sure they are accurate and precise. The fast_lane should be recorded at high speed, so that it is realistic to the lines a car takes when the tires are at the edge of traction. You can also repurpose the fast_lane over to the data\ideal_line.ai, if you want, which oddly enough I'm not sure has anything to do with the ai.

Cheers,

Esotic

I recorded left side from the start line to the start line, (i did never enter the pits) then i did the same with the right side. After that i loaded a new session pressing shift and i saw both sides fixed as it should be. There was no crossed line between both side lines.

After that i put the fast_lane.candidate where it should be. There was also a pit_lane.candidate but i deleted it.

What do you mean with do it at full speed? Should i record side lines at high speed? I did it at very low speed.
I will try again and see what happen

EDIT: Omg it goes crazy

Look at that https://ibb.co/m7wvte

Also when i try to record it stops the recording process at the middle of the track

I just posted AI lines I made with your side files over here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/interlagos-v14-03-15-ai-lines-and-side-files.23518/

It didn't cause me any problems, but the only thing I would adjust with the side files would be trying to match up the end to the start of the right side line.

20180930075744_1.jpg

It took me about 10 laps in a hotlapping session before I got a fast_lane I deemed acceptable (I'm assuming it could be better, but this is fine for the purposes of demonstration). When I initially started recording a fast_lane I hit record about half-way through a lap and got the strange behaviour you'd seen where the fast_lane did not start at the start/finish line, so I have to assume that candidate you were using was not a complete lap.

Cheers,

Esotic

No problem ;) But forget what i wrote before, i just realized i had that "bug" before on another, more normal track. On Miseluk... the normal layout, non-gp, it's impossible to record the right track limit because of that exact issue. You cross the finish line and it never starts recording.

Is that something ai line helper related, or is something wrong with that track's start/finish line objects?
Misulek looks pretty cool, but needs a few things fixed.

Misulek20180930081609_1.jpg

There is an ideal_line, but it goes through a barrier. :-\

And yeah, it seems like there's no start/finish. Seems pretty cool for just hooning around, though. :)

Cheers,

Esotic

Did you see that?

https://ibb.co/m7wvte

Now when i try to record it stops the recording process at the middle of the track, it didn't happen the first time.
The side files you initially provided for me to download are included in the Zip of the Interlagos fast_lane that I posted, and they worked fine.
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/interlagos-v14-03-15-ai-lines-and-side-files.23518/

I honestly have no idea why they appear to be hovering over the track in that picture, but that's generally what happens when I take side lines from one track and try to use them on another (say 2 different versions of Interlagos that I suspect are based on each other, but then find out they aren't). Not saying you did that, but that's just what it looks like.

Cheers,

Esotic

The side files you initially provided for me to download are included in the Zip of the Interlagos fast_lane that I posted, and they worked fine.

I honestly have no idea why they appear to be hovering over the track in that picture, but that's generally what happens when I take side lines from one track and try to use them on another (say 2 different versions of Interlagos that I suspect are based on each other, but then find out they aren't). Not saying you did that, but that's just what it looks like.

Cheers,

Esotic
Forget it, i tried again and it worked perfectly. I was doing it wrong.

Thank you very much!

Do you know if there is a way to define time penalties for each corner of the track independently and not by surfaces?

Forget it, i tried again and it worked perfectly. I was doing it wrong.

Thank you very much!

Do you know if there is a way to define time penalties for each corner of the track independently and not by surfaces?
As far as I know the "valid" track is defined by what's in the surfaces.ini, which is directly related to the models in the kn5 files.

As far as I know the "valid" track is defined by what's in the surfaces.ini, which is directly related to the models in the kn5 files.
I know but in the surfaces.ini i can only define time penalties by surface types. Sand, grass, etc...

I would like to define it by specific zones.

Because doing it by surface types it doesn't work well.

I got a problem when using F1 cars in some tracks, for example in Bahrain and Circuit of Americas, if i use F1 cars the AI crashes at some corners, while at the same track and using GT3 or Tatuus it works perfectly. Both Side lines and racing line are OK, anyway to fix it?

I got a problem when using F1 cars in some tracks, for example in Bahrain and Circuit of Americas, if i use F1 cars the AI crashes at some corners, while at the same track and using GT3 or Tatuus it works perfectly. Both Side lines and racing line are OK, anyway to fix it?

The way AC implements AI is fairly generic. The lines for an MX5 are not the same lines for an open wheel vehicle with downforce, so if you really want a car to be competitive you'll need to optimize the fast_lane and the ai_hints. If the AI is crashing into obstacles then you can try to giving them a little more space by adjusting the side lines. If they are crashing into each other you can try adjusting the ai_hints so they go a little slower into the problematic corners.

;go faster or slower - use more or less throttle
[HINT_1]
START=0.37
END=0.44
VALUE=0.85 ; go slower

[HINT_2]
START=0.82
END=0.86
VALUE=1.5 ; push harder

The way AC implements AI is fairly generic. The lines for an MX5 are not the same lines for an open wheel vehicle with downforce, so if you really want a car to be competitive you'll need to optimize the fast_lane and the ai_hints. If the AI is crashing into obstacles then you can try to giving them a little more space by adjusting the side lines. If they are crashing into each other you can try adjusting the ai_hints so they go a little slower into the problematic corners.

[HINT_1]
START=0.37
END=0.44
VALUE=0.85 ; go slower

[HINT_2]
START=0.82
END=0.86
VALUE=1.5 ; push harder

They are crashing into each other.

Sorry i did not understand it very well.

Which setting should i change if i want the AI to go slower at slow corners?

Independently of the racing line, its like its collision sensor is failing when using a F1 car.

You could try putting something like this into the ai_hints.ini

[HINT_1]
START=0.37
END=0.44
VALUE=0.85 ; go slower

You should be able to figure out the relevant Start and End values from the Position on Track being shown in the titlebar of the AI Line Helper. The exact values will probably require some trial and error.

You could try putting something like this into the ai_hints.ini

[HINT_1]
START=0.37
END=0.44
VALUE=0.85 ; go slower

You should be able to figure out the relevant Start and End values from the Position on Track being shown in the titlebar of the AI Line Helper. The exact values will probably require some trial and error.
I just fixed everytrack by using value 1.0 for all the circuit and 95% AI strength, works perfectly. Thank you.

There is still only one problem. The AI doesn't use the clutch, resulting in slow starts. Anyway to force them to use the clutch?

Last edited:
I just fixed everytrack by using value 1.0 for all the circuit and 95% AI strength, works perfectly. Thank you.

There is still only one problem. The AI doesn't use the clutch, resulting in slow starts. Anyway to force them to use the clutch?

Not that I know of. They also seem to hesitate more in large groups, so you could try running a small grid to see if that helps them get off the line faster.

Hi. Great utility. I trying to setup my first ai lines on a track I’ve created. I have a pit and fast lane and the left hand side works , but it will not record RH side - it just writes a file with either 0kb or 1kb but not capturing whole lap - can you help . Thanks

I used the tutorials , but RH recording eludes me

Hi. Great utility. I trying to setup my first ai lines on a track I’ve created. I have a pit and fast lane and the left hand side works , but it will not record RH side - it just writes a file with either 0kb or 1kb but not capturing whole lap - can you help . Thanks

Which track are you working on? There shouldn't be anything different about recording the right side file than recording the left.

Hi, I had the same thing when trying to record in hotlap mode, also RH only. It was fine once I returned to practice mode!

Esotic updated AI Line Helper with a new update entry:

optional recording of groove lines and renamed INI file

The config.txt has been renamed to AI_Line_Helper.ini. When you apply the update the config.txt will probably still be in your folder, but will no longer be used.

There is a new "makegrooveline" option in the INI. If this option is enabled it will create a "data/groveline.csv" that I've been told will import properly into blender for helping to define the groove line, but I've not actually been able to verify that behaviour myself. If anyone has issues with this functionality please let...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I love this app, not only for recording the spline boundaries but it's very useful to use for fine tune in/out point for TV cameras.
Though it will only show your spline position. It would be nice that it would also work while viewing the ai driver but maybe it's not the purpose of the app itself

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 253 33.9%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 204 27.3%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 141 18.9%
  • Watch party

Votes: 61 8.2%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 18 2.4%