AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

must admit i dont see hot temps with the two 9th gen intels ive had even during summer months.

9600k at 4.8ghz idled in the low 20's and max under stress tests was 75 degrees.
9900k at stock idles in the mid to upper 20's and max stress tests was 85 degrees.

both used the same Corsair H100i pro cooler.

While playing Battlefield 5 the 9600k got to around 65 degrees max and the 9900k doesnt even hit 60 degrees.

lol you don't know heat until you have a 9900k in the summer. God this chip...please ffs intel, move off 14nm++++++++++ and stop wasting die space on iGPU for high end chips.

I hear you Robert, i should not complain I think all the bad Ryzen 3000 experiences
got to me

Apart from the beta bios bugs it is all good, found a couple other positives
I have Orico 15 port hub great apart from bug I had using USB3.0 extension leads
( to run setups close at hand etc ) and my adata USB3.0 sata dock
I had to plug the 3 into the tower which sort of defeated the purpose of the hub
With Ryzen I tested plugging them into dock and they all work, the dock is faster
enabling and so far works every time

I have been sitting here for days thinking I could do nothing, booted steam and rF2
24 cars and it handled it no problem hjgher temps but acceptable so tomorrow is I test them all ....

i also found very few tools even work properly
Download latest HWINFO and HWMONITOR and ditched everything else
till they updated
Temps are now not too bad at idle 35C still spikes now see 4.525MHz Cores 0/1
Maybe cooler bedded in because if clear CMOS goes back to 60c idling

Oh the BT5 it works from 1st floor to out front of units now 30 metres +
, dongle did 10 metres if you lucky so really happy on that one when i put all the units garbage bins on Sunday I can listen to TV and not miss a lap
To get BT5 in Z390 or X570 you have to go up a few models

I may even start using wireless ( first for me ) when the bios comes out then only leads to tower will be 2 display ports, usb hub and PSU.........can't see anyway I can get rid of those :laugh:.. yeah OCD

Yeah this is one thread I was talking about nightmares for people... feel sorry
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=321288.0

Last edited:
lol you don't know heat until you have a 9900k in the summer. God this chip...please ffs intel, move off 14nm++++++++++ and stop wasting die space on iGPU for high end chips.

Yeah. I ordered a delid kit + shim + liquid metal + modern waterblock.

I also disabled 4 cores and HT in the bios. Did some benchs and performance actually increases (by a lot) in R3E and ACC (multiplayer).

Yeah. I ordered a delid kit + shim + liquid metal + modern waterblock.

I also disabled 4 cores and HT in the bios. Did some benchs and performance actually increases (by a lot) in R3E and ACC (multiplayer).
In theory there won't be any performance increase by disabling cores or ht. Possible reasons for it though:
- Clocks being higher now
- core parking might have been happening before
- throttling/limiting due to reaching maximum power (not necessarily lower clock speeds but CPUs can still just "take less power" and lose performance)

But after reading through various forums, it looks like this is intended/normal behavior, at least I see many people reporting the same thing. Intel 9000 series owners tell me that those CPU's can be even hotter, so maybe I'm just not used to seeing these high values.:D

Yes they must have access to v1.5 anytime they need it
Turning voltage down is counter productive just hope
next bios fixes it

That is why i asked the question is 70C+ the new norm, seems so ;)

As I said earlier in the thread, R3000 is low quality silicon. Epyc get best bin, then Threadripper, Desktop and mobile. Heat/current issues aren't that surprising but everybody's cpu's should have passed binning to work within a given specification.

The point of chiplets is that they are vastly more cost effective to produce than traditional monolithics. They can be used in the highest end Epyc or lowest end Ryzen depending on how they bench. You can get a ton of 'em off a wafer and if one fails the bench altogether it's a small loss.

Purely about about profits/shareholders. They don't seem to bring anything new or extra to the end user, just a different way of doing the same thing.

It seems that for the last couple of years AMD have been making all the right noises, but as the underdogs coming from a long way back, they have needed to. The price difference between X470 and X570 is just a sign of their growing confidence and willingness to milk the public Intel/Nvidia fashion.

must admit i dont see hot temps with the two 9th gen intels ive had even during summer months.

9600k at 4.8ghz idled in the low 20's and max under stress tests was 75 degrees.
9900k at stock idles in the mid to upper 20's and max stress tests was 85 degrees.

both used the same Corsair H100i pro cooler.

While playing Battlefield 5 the 9600k got to around 65 degrees max and the 9900k doesnt even hit 60 degrees.
You can't idle lower than ambient temp, so you cant be having blazing summer or are you using AC?

Just to throw that in:
It seems a lot of people (nobody specifically) everywhere on the internet are confusing ambient temp with room temperature.
Here in Germany we currently have 36°c "ambient temp" but even without AC, my room is only 28.5°c.
Its enough to make me sweat a lot but my gpu and cpu are only running the 6°c higher than they do in winter, when my room mostly has around 22°c.

I mean I never lived in a really hot country but I doubt anyone has 40°c in their room. I often read of "with ambient temps above 40 degrees my water cooling still keeps the cpu at 50° under full load".

@Dan Costa did some more tuning and interesting findings on vcore scaling on this particular chip.

with HT off, 5.0ghz all core stable needs 1.24v which as I said created heat issues.

@4.9ghz all core, I only need 1.18v which drops the temps by another 12-14c

That’s bios vcore not post vdroop load. LLC turbo.

Last edited:
I need to get a thermometer for my man cave. It's always between 32 and 36 degrees C outside but my cave doesn't face the sun at any point during the day. It's still sweltering hot in there without fans or air con though.
The new b450 board is on it's way too!
May have it by tomorrow afternoon or latest Monday. Cant wait to take it for a spin! And get back on to rF2 and ACC of course.

In theory there won't be any performance increase by disabling cores or ht. Possible reasons for it though:
- Clocks being higher now
- core parking might have been happening before
- throttling/limiting due to reaching maximum power (not necessarily lower clock speeds but CPUs can still just "take less power" and lose performance)

Dont care much for theory mate :) Benched and tested it myself with locked CPU speeds (5.1ghz). No throttling.

10fps gain in minimum framerates in both R3E and ACC. Average also increased by around 10fps

ps: this in regards to HT on vs HT off. The disabling of cores was to keep the temps under control. Didn't impact performance having 4 or 8 enabled.

It seems a lot of people (nobody specifically) everywhere on the internet are confusing ambient temp with room temperature.
Here in Germany we currently have 36°c "ambient temp" but even without AC, my room is only 28.5°c.
This intrigued me, because I've never heard of ambient temperature being defined like this (and it's my job to know what words mean), even the word "ambient" means "of immediate surroundings". So I did a bit of searching...and honestly, it seems like there's no real consensus on this. Apparently in weather, there might be such distinction between ambient and room temperature, but in case of computers and devices in general, ambient temperature seems to generally refer to what you'd call room temperature, even in quite technical and "serious" texts. And even with weather, you can easily encounter quotes like "when indoors, ambient temperature is sometimes called room temperature".

It also seems that the distinction between room temperature and ambient temperature only relates to certain languages. Even in my native language, "ambient temperature" is literally translated as "temperature of the surrounding environment" (though we also have "room temperature", but it's generally considered a synonym of "ambient temperature", or at least a subset of it, not an entirely separate thing).

Last edited:
Well @RasmusP, if you ever heard of the good old soviet block houses (they call them "Betonblockhaus" or "Plattenbau" in Germany or something like that), these beautiful creations:
15x1.jpg

Ambient and room temperature is the exact same in these things by your definition.:roflmao:

And for us here in Malaysia it's 32-34 most days and gets very toasty in the condos. I would hazard a guess at 28 during the day and 22 at night
I think I'm going to invest in a thermometer for the man cave so I can test this out, room at night, with fan, with air con and then with fan and air con.
Then I'm going to look at sealing the door frame to try and keep as much cool air in the room as poss. Although you feel the heat again almost as soon as you turn off the air con here.

Desktop Screenshot 2019.07.25 - 19.49.32.00.png

Switched all cooling fan monitoring from DC to PWM in BIOS.
The idle temps are now at 35-41 degrees.
CPU-z stress test after 45 minutes run time is right at 70 degrees.
Zero instability issues since installing...even at the higher temps.
A great little CPU.

Last edited:
Happy others are having good run :thumbsup:
Seems more issues with MSI B450 motherboards then other manufactures
Scroll and keep on scrolling .....
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/

I like many there are not sure what to do, now is rumor some boards may not get further bios update

I have another problem getting blue screen installing W10 if wifi is enabled
There is a work around but you still can't use wifi till after the OS is installed then go through the same rigmarole every fresh OS
What if I don't like using LAN, consumer rights says it must perform as stated and clearly that isn't

As I said before when Sandy Bridge raid controllers had issue all manufactures offered anyone affected a refund or swap even if they never used raid

Seems MSI don't want to own any of it and just keep trotting out the same excuses

Top it off if I RMA CPU/Mobo and they find it "works okay" I have to pay 2 x postage and $45 fee
What "works okay" means I have no clue but unless they install W10 they won't see any problem
:laugh: ...if only the rest of it worked as well as desktop it would be brilliant lol ..
throw in a few endless nights with bugs .... you must laugh or you would cry :coffee:
One poor chap swears he tried bios flash 30 times, now that's faith ! ...or sheer desperation lmao

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 506 68.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 311 42.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 334 45.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 164 22.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 198 26.8%
Back